Healthy eating on a ramen budget

Options
C12254
C12254 Posts: 198
Money is TIGHT for us as Im looking for a better job. Right now im making just over min. wage, and my hubby isnt doing much better. Im trying to eat healthy but im finding it hard to find easy, cheap recipes that dont call for weird off the wall ingredients that ar way expensive! help!

Replies

• CharleneG_Barnes
    CharleneG_Barnes Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    chicken and peppers and onions, frozen veggies and cheese. Use your imagination. With those things, not much can go wrong. I'm a single mom of 2 making not much more than you with no help from the "dads" so I know what you're going through. Oh, pasta and marinara sauce is good too.
  • ajewellmom
    ajewellmom Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I understand your challenge. We tend to make a big pot of rice and a crockpot of black beans each week and make gallo pinto, a rice and beans combination. We use it as a main meal for breakfast and as a side or a base for many other meals. Fresh veggies are expensive, but you can get quite a bit of variety in reasonably priced frozen veggies. I also tend to look for meat when it is on sale (pork tenderloin, beef roast, chicken breasts etc.) and buy a couple of them. We made a pork shoulder on Sunday that was also my lunch yesterday and today. Might be boring, but it works!
  • zanimalistic
    zanimalistic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I did a Google search and found this article: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/cheap-healthy-15-nutritious-foods-about-2-dollars?page=2

Also, my wife and I just signed up for a local CSA (community supported agriculture) crop share. Every week we pay only $19 for a box of fresh, local, organic produce. It may be worth looking into what is available in your area because this is definitely saving us a lot of money on produce - and it's organic!

Good luck!
  • orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just yesterday, I read an article about a man who lost 200 pounds. He was on a very tight budget, but found he could feed himself healthily by buying most of his food at the dollar store. Also, yesterday, I read on post here on MFP about Aldi being a great place for reasonably-priced fruits and veggies.

If you're not couponing, I would say start right away. When stores run a two-for-one sale on an item, and you have coupons, you can use two and it makes HUGE savings.

Blessings to you as you get through this difficult time!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Costo or Sam's club. You can buy meat in bulk and freeze it. Their produce is good, too! Then throw meat, veggies/beans, and broth/sauce in a crock pot and make brown rice. You will have dinner for days :) Buying produce at a farmer's market is both economical for you and your local farmers. Spinach, peppers, and tomatos make great salads. Top that with chicken or tuna. The thing is, when you buy fresh produce/food, you have to just shop more often so you aren't throwing away rotten food... that's when eating healthy becomes expensive.
    The Biggest Loser did something about this... they each were able to eat for $10/day eating fresh produce/meat. Coupon clipping is another great way to save $$$ :)
  • Saratini76
    Saratini76 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It sucks being on a tight budget. Been there, done that! I have a few good recipes that are inexpensive, yummy, and low in calories. Also, much to my surprise, if you have a Dollar Tree near you, they have frozen veggies for $1 and even low-cal popsicles (60 cals each). They sometimes even have frozen ribeye steaks (though I've never tried them), eggs, and sometimes cheese. If you want my recipes, message me...or if everyone wants them, I will post them here. I don't have all of the nutritional info on them, but they feed my family of 4 and I have lost weight eating them!

:flowerforyou:

I hope these suggestions help!
    Sara
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruit and veggies are cheap

Make things in bulk and freeze them. Use some ingredients for multiple purposes. I purchased a whole chicken. Baked it one night and we had it for supper. Wrapped whatever was left and stuck it in the fridge. The next day, I took the rest of the chicken off of the bones, and boiled the bones for broth. Then we had chicken soup, and there's still leftover chicken for sandwiches for today.

I made the SkinnyTaste Italian Turkey Meatballs and Marinara sauce one night. We had that for supper. There was a LOT of sauce left over, so I froze it. The next time we have spaghetti, I will thaw that and use it as sauce!

If your family is willing, cut out meat a few nights a week - lentils, beans, vegetarian meals... that will help stretch the budget.

The best thing to do is to preplan. Find the recipes (www.skinnytaste.com)(http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/best-budget-recipes-00412000074866/)(http://family.go.com/food/pkg-budget-recipes/cheap-dinner-recipes-pg/) -- modify them for your budget. If it calls for fresh veggies, substitute for frozen. Check to see what crazy ingredients can be substituted for cheap/easy to obtain ingredients. When you have those plans, shop for the ingredients. Look for sales and coupons. Cook and freeze.

Good luck!!
  • sarasashas
    sarasashas Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • nicole_andan
    nicole_andan Posts: 127
    Options
    Hey! Like you I'm on a budget so I have to be careful how I do things... I tend to try and buy things that I can then make from scratch as this is cheaper.

I never use beef mince, turkey or pork mince is cheaper. I bulk everything out with veggies, particularly mushrooms, carrots and broccoli (I keep all my veg in the fridge as it lasts longer and is less prone to go off!)

I make a lot of 'old fashioned' food because it uses cheaper (and normally healthier cuts of meat) lots of stews, shepherds pie, low carb lasagne (the hairy bikers kind), pasta bakes (use a tablespoon of philli and some skimmed milk to thin it out and make it go further) Use bacon in the pasta bake and veggies rather than chicken because it's cheaper. I take sandwiches that I have made to work.

If you can go to a local butcher or grocer rather than the supermarket for meat and veg. It might cost a bit more to buy initially (although I haven't found that to be the case it's normally cheaper IMO) you will get a lot more for your money. £2 of cherries for example I will ALWAYS get more from the grocer.

Also, if you're really struggling you can get really good deals on frozen fruit and veg if you use them for cooking or baking.

I don't know if any of this helps... I hope so xx
  • nicole_andan
    nicole_andan Posts: 127
    Options
    Also I swear by turkey thigh meat, it's the cheapest meat you can buy at the moment!!!
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Are you from the UK or USA?

I'm from the UK, and now buy my weekly shopping from Aldi. For a weeks shopping for 2 adults and a 7 year old child, I spend £30. This includes all meals.

Vegetables are actually cheap to buy - I buy courgettes, peppers, red onions, mushrooms and stir fry these with some tinned chopped tomatoes. This will make 2 meals, with a baked sweet potato and some cheese on top. Meal cost works out to be around £2. I sometimes add kidney beans and chilli powder and eat it with rice or pasta instead - both of which are cheap staples to have in the cupboard, and packets I can buy from 50p a bag (for the essential / shops own brand).

Another cheap meal is poached eggs and toast with beans. It works out to cost (for me) around £0.60 a meal with two eggs and two slices of toast, and half a tin of beans (again all shops own brand) I know this is basic, but it really fills you up. I am planning on having this tonight. It's good for me because I don't get in until around 5:30 so I want a quick dinner before I'm putting my daughter to bed.

Chicken is obviously really good for you - but I can find it quite expensive. Some supermarkets sell them frozen, which I find is cheaper, and I just defrost it ahead of time. Try turkey instead, turkey breasts or mince - this is cheaper than Chicken.

We're i the same situation and I tend to write a shopping list before I go, planning the weeks meals and don't buy anything extra. As I said I usually spend £30 (more if I'm buying washing powder or other essentials). I'll always buy brand own, I know there is a difference but I just can't afford it right now, and it works for me!!

Good luck :)
  • allifantastical
    allifantastical Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    No recipes needed.

boneless/skinless chicken breasts or thighs $30
    Basmati rice or sweet potatoes $20
    Steamable brocolli - $12
    Bush baked beans $6

4 dozen eggs $8

bananas $4
    bag of apples $4
    whole watermelon $4
    Chobani yogurt $14

Week of groceries : $102 for 2 people
  • mom2pbandk
    mom2pbandk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, keep up the good work, it is so hard when the money is tight to keep going, I know. But if your motivation is there, nothing will get in your way. A few options that I have found have been:

boneless chicken thighs. So cheap and all three of my kids love them and my husband and I love them and I can make them for dinner, have leftovers and make them into lunches and salads,pasta salads, etc. VERY economical. If you have a costco membership, it's really cheap in bulk there to just buy and freeze, also super cheap at grocery stores.

I grew my own summer squash and zucchini last year for the first time and I have a SUPER black thumb. The plants were under $3 each and I swear they just grew on their own and gave me veggies. I cant stress enough that I am not a gardener. I planted the plants to satisfy my 6 year old daughter who wanted so badly to have a garden. We seriously just plugged them into a spot in the ground and walked away and they grew. It was great.

Of course anything with eggs.

Good luck to you...
  • brownshuga30
    brownshuga30 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I find frozen store brand veggies to be quite reasonable. Also frozen is supposedly much better than canned b/c it doesn't contain all the sodium or preservatives. Also try to get fruits in season, you can also try frozen fruits b/c they last longer. Also if there is a farmers market you may get some better deals. You can always swap ingredients in recipes if you can't find it or if they are too expensive. Good luck!
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Find an Aldi! Great fruits and veggies and meat at a fraction of the price! Ask a person who works there and find out when their produce is delivered and then only shop those days and your stuff will last longer. Frozen veggies are just as healthy as fresh if you are just looking for a side dish. My family is easy and love grilled food so about 5 days out of the week we are eating grilled meat and vegies...with or without a potatoe or carb, depends on my calories for the day. Best of luck to you in your job search. I think all of us at one time have gone through that uncertainty. Bless your family!
  • balsert713
    balsert713 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies are wonderful! I get them at Kroger, Kroger brand, mostly a dollar a bag - or when they're doing their 10 for 10. I'll use 2 bags of whatever- usually 1 broccoli and 1 onions and peppers mix. Toss in about 1 chicken breast, depending on size out of the package.. I don't weigh them but I eyeball size. It's probably 1/3 pound breast.. Anywho, stir-fry that together and add some chili peppers and soy sauce. done. So it's like 5 bucks? for the entire meal? Idk how to judge how many servings.. Cup wise or anything but it makes about 3-4 bowls.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Aldi has come a long way from the "food like product" distributor that it used to be. Their fruits and veggies are usually fresh, frozen bags of veggies are only $1, and most of the grocery staple items are much cheaper there (I can get, for instance, corn tortillas, the same exact brand as in other stores, for 39 cents a pack there. At the other stores? $1.39) Some things are bad quality, but honestly I've been pretty shocked at the quality of items there recently because I went once about 10 years ago and determined that it was just trash. I only went back there to check it out after I read an article about how Aldi and Trader Joes are owned by the same company.

Buying a whole chicken is much less expensive than buying the parts. If you have a local ethnic market check it out, they tend to be much cheaper for fruits, veggies, and meats. The dry goods are typically more expensive though.
  • jccst9
    jccst9 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this (I won't even get into the amount of money I spent on 2 degrees at a private university)! I pretty much keep myself alive by shopping at Aldi. I always have cucumbers, green peppers, and baby carrots to snack on, and I kick off each morning in the office with their yogurt and granola bars. Dinners usually consist of their Fit & Active soups or whatever frozen fish they have on sale (made on the Foreman) with white rice and canned veggies. It's definitely a challenge at times but it's definitely achievable. Good luck!!! :)