Can I trust my Personal Trainer?

Options

Replies

• littlebee26
    littlebee26 Posts: 116
    Options
    Its so difficult to know whos advice to take when it comes to health and fitness because everyone seems so sure of what they are saying and yet there is always someone else who disagrees. From the replys I have received it would seem that I may need to consult a nutritionist in relation to my diet, but I think im happy to take his advice on exercise for the time being anyways.
  • littlebee26
    Options
    Oh and I'm 28 yrs old
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I think personal trainers SUCK!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer with qualifications in nutrition for weight management and in sports nutrition.

Yours appears to be an idiot.

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    take his advice with a grain of salt. Meaning, trust but verify. there are a lot of people here that have lived through it and can tell you what worked for them. Even that MAY work for you.

Personal trainers are $$ motivated. At Lifetime FItness it usually goes like this:

1) Ask a trainer out on floor ANY question
    2) trainer responds with "I'm busy right now would you like to make an appoinment?"

appointment is code for - "you are going to pay me $99 an hour in order to talk to me"

I figure if they have time to stop and schedule an appointment they ought to have time to answer a simple question.

Bottom line - MAKE FRIENDS! Lots and lots of friends. Pick their brains, chat, ask questions. and READ READ READ. For example - google minimum daily caloric intake while breastfeeding. (just a thought)

good luck!

Of course they are motivated by money, it's their job/career/source of income. Why would you expect them to be any different? I'm a software programmer, if someone walks by and asked me for some code, they get charged for it. It isn't any different.
  • murphy612
    Options
    the only thing i would suggest is that you ask him to teach you compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, over head press, chin up, pull up, bench press, etc - the trainers in my gym never have their clients bench pressing, deadlifting, or squatting and I can not for the life of me figure out why ...

Im with ya.. unless there is some pressing issue.. most dont push clients either. Way to low weight high rep it seems.

That's odd, my PT is the opposite. But that could be because I emphasized wanting to use free weights. I think my PT is extremely knowledgable, educated, competent, and does an excellent job for his clients. However, I don't take nutrition advice from him, it's not his expertise. I listen to suggestions or recommendations but like other's have said I take it with a grain of salt. I listen to my Dietician, doctor and my own body.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer myself and I would NEVER give caloric advice. That's not my forte. I set up the workouts...recommend they see a nutritionist for their specific caloric needs. As for the pt telling you when to eat...does he have your schedule in mind or his? Are these arbitrary numbers that he just throws up?

As for me....before I was a pt, when I was trying to lose my baby weight I saw a pt and he had me drinking protein shakes...( i think it was a ploy to make me buy them from him so that he could meet his supplement quota). Needless to say ,I ended up gaining weight.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Save your money. You already know what you need to know. MFP, Scooby, new lifting rules. Why would you pay for stuff you already know? If you need someone to shout "Cmon two more" at you then call your mother. Or, I am available for shouting at very reasonable rates.
  • apriltrainer
    Options
    take his advice with a grain of salt. Meaning, trust but verify. there are a lot of people here that have lived through it and can tell you what worked for them. Even that MAY work for you.

Personal trainers are $$ motivated. At Lifetime FItness it usually goes like this:

2) trainer responds with "I'm busy right now would you like to make an appoinment?"

appointment is code for - "you are going to pay me $99 an hour in order to talk to me"

I figure if they have time to stop and schedule an appointment they ought to have time to answer a simple question.

Bottom line - MAKE FRIENDS! Lots and lots of friends. Pick their brains, chat, ask questions. and READ READ READ. For example - google minimum daily caloric intake while breastfeeding. (just a thought)

good luck!

Of course they are motivated by money, it's their job/career/source of income. Why would you expect them to be any different? I'm a software programmer, if someone walks by and asked me for some code, they get charged for it. It isn't any different.

Ditto. I can't tell you how many lunches I've not taken due to someone wanting me to give them workout advice.

Being a mom with two kids and then working on my feet..sometimes I barely have time to eat. So on my lunch I have taken to EATING in a utility closet becuase if I don't, people will want me to take them on the floor and show them exercises or talk to them about what is in my tupperware as if that's the nutritional secret that is missing from them not having the body they want.. Again that's not my forte. And if they are making it difficult for me to even eat lunch..I'll tell them to make an appt so that I can eat lunch and be able to have energy not just for my own workouts,,but to be with my children after I leave the gym. Trainers get paid CRAP. SO please LET US have our lunch. Especially because it is unpaid.

SO I agree..it isn't any different. If they want advice and I am on my lunch they will have to pay for my time. I have to put my kids through college too.

Anyways, this is about trusting a personal trainer..and I would hope people wouldn't look at my tupperware container while I eat lunch and think that' what they have to do. When someone does ask me for advice I tell them- learn to cook well. It's easy to cook bad food that tastes good. IT's another to cook yummy food that's healthy. That's pretty much my advice but like I said before - I always tell them to see a nutritionist.
  • emergencytennis
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer myself and I would NEVER give caloric advice. That's not my forte. I set up the workouts...recommend they see a nutritionist for their specific caloric needs. As for the pt telling you when to eat...does he have your schedule in mind or his? Are these arbitrary numbers that he just throws up?

As for me....before I was a pt, when I was trying to lose my baby weight I saw a pt and he had me drinking protein shakes...( i think it was a ploy to make me buy them from him so that he could meet his supplement quota). Needless to say ,I ended up gaining weight.

What is caloric advice?
  • apriltrainer
    Options

What is caloric advice?

Just telling people how many cals to eat. I would never do that. Everyone is different and that's not what I am trained to do. I know some people here think all personal trainers are up there in league with car salesman, money grubbing lawyers..etc..but this NURSE turned personal trainer(and I could make a heck of a lot more doing nursing) will not just give advice on nutrition because that's not my specialty at all. It would be unethical for me to give such advice on calorie requirements. But if you want my advice during my half hour window where I take my lunch...make an appt. But i'll still recommend seeing a nutritonist!
  • emergencytennis
    Options

What is caloric advice?

Just telling people how many cals to eat. I would never do that. Everyone is different and that's not what I am trained to do. I know some people here think all personal trainers are up there in league with car salesman, money grubbing lawyers..etc..but this NURSE turned personal trainer(and I could make a heck of a lot more doing nursing) will not just give advice on nutrition because that's not my specialty at all. It would be unethical for me to give such advice on calorie requirements. But if you want my advice during my half hour window where I take my lunch...make an appt.

It's just I googled "caloric" you see, and it was ambiguous.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    if you have to ask...

...then no.

Find a trainer that you feel comfortable with or, better yet, do the research on your own and save your money.
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    in...for 'eat more now' posts....

^^^

All jokes aside though, find a nutritionist for your eating habits and let the trainer train you in the gym. Have an idea of what you want to do and tell him to show you how to do it effectively.

I hired a trainer just to show me proper form on the lifts I wanted to do. Made his job easier and made it worth the money I was paying since I got exactly what I wanted.
  • mr_rat
    mr_rat Posts: 35 Member
    Options

good luck!

I am a programmer also. Although I would not give out code, i would offer advice free of charge on how to do it, as long as it didn't take to long. My PT answered questions from me for a month, before i decided to let him create a workout for me. I trusted him and felt that he knew what he doing. I would NEVER work with someone that was just in it for the money. They should enjoy helping people. BY that joy should be willing to answer a few questions and giving a few tips. Otherwise how do you know they are any good. Same goes with programming. It why i'm considered the best in this area I think.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    The biggest part for me would be the no eating before working out. I can't do it. I feel sick to my stomach when I do that, and my workouts are not as good. If it works for you and you want to, ok, but if it doesn't, don't try to stick to something like that as it's not worth it.
  • murphy612
    Options
    :smile: NM
  • littlebee26
    Options
    I'm a personal trainer with qualifications in nutrition for weight management and in sports nutrition.

Yours appears to be an idiot.

In what way?
  • littlebee26
    Options

The times were decided based on my schedule (work breaks etc). Will keep in mind what you are saying about gaining weight on protein shakes. Thanks
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    the only thing i would suggest is that you ask him to teach you compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, over head press, chin up, pull up, bench press, etc - the trainers in my gym never have their clients bench pressing, deadlifting, or squatting and I can not for the life of me figure out why ...

I completely agree. Maybe read New Rules of Lifting for Women which has a lot of great information for a beginner - and bring that knowledge with you to your sessions.