Advice needed please :)

Hi

I just need some advice hope you can help!

I am 5'9 and weigh 222lbs. I want to lose 42lbs at a rate of 1.5lbs a week. MFP has set my calories to 1420 and I am exercising 6 days a week (30DS, kettlebell DVD), burning about 500/600 calories a time. On the day I do not exercise I still go on walks with the dogs.

I have read so many conflicting things about eating back exericse calories - last week I ate 1/2 of them back and this week I am trying to eat none of them back to see what works best for me.

Would anyone be able to tell me if I am doing this right or if I should change anything at all?

Thank you!

Jen

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    You have to give it more than a week. Stop making changes until you have enough data to know what does and doesn't work. A week is not long enough to tell anything. Pick one course of action and stick to it for a while.
  • ricklapage
    ricklapage Posts: 11 Member
    I agree a weeks trime is not enough to gauge how your body will respond. I have been active with (run, Walk) and using map my fitness which seems to be a bit more accurate with the calorie count. I do eat back some of the calories but I try to keep it right around 1200 - 1300 a day. It has worked well for me.

Keep up the good work and dont get discouraged
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    MFP is expecting you to NET 1350, that means you need to be eating your exercise calories back
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    You have to give it more than a week. Stop making changes until you have enough data to know what does and doesn't work. A week is not long enough to tell anything. Pick one course of action and stick to it for a while.

I agree with this. Work daily, but think of long-term success.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Eat back the calories burned, Keep exercising and start lifting heavy weights.

Try not to be in such a rush. It took you more than 3 months to put on the 40+ pounds and will take time to take it off safely and effectively.

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • sjanes9
    sjanes9 Posts: 19 Member
    I try to eat back all my exercise calories. I have found that keeping my net calories as close to what I was trying to eat daily helped keep my chemicals in balance. Which kept crazy cravings at bay. I think over all, mentally and physically it makes for a healthier and happier life.
  • Thanks everyone - I admit I do tend to get discouraged fairly quickly and need to snap out of that!!!
  • carakit
    carakit Posts: 126 Member
    I really try not to eat my calories back since Im trying to lose weight faster. But sometimes after I workout Im am starving so I have a little snack. I dont want to deprive myself so much that I binge and over eat a ton, but just a little snack to hold me over. Dont get discouraged to quickly, you can do it!!! Sometimes it just takes you body a while to get into gear!
  • NOt done heavy weights before - would that be a body pump class? I don't like gyms you see! :)