How important is it to have small goals along the way?

Options
Hello everyone, :smile:

I know we are all different, and lose weight differently. What works for one person does not work for another....so I would like to hear your opinions on this...

A lot of people are setting small goals along the way as they are working on their weight loss because it helps them lose faster and stay motivated.
Unfortunately, it does not work for me. I find it very frustrating and get very upset when I don't achieve the goals I set.
I lose motivation and quit much sooner that I should.

I just don't like the stress I put on myself when I have goals. The stress eventually kills all my good intentions. I feel too much pressure and start resenting it, my mind refuses to be pushed to do anything.

It seems that losing slowly and without stressing about it works best for me. And that is hard to achieve. :ohwell:

In the past, whenever I made any weight loss goals I failed. Now, I am just trying to eat like a normal person and lose weight eventually. Lose it in a year, two, five...does not matter as long as I lose it. I also don't have a specific goal of how much weight to lose. I would like to get down to 135 lbs, but 140, 145, 150 would be okay as well. As long as I feel comfortable with that weight.

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I set goals, but I don't set deadlines for them, and this has kept me going. There's no way to fail the goal because I have all the time in the world to reach it, but it still feels just as good when I reach that goal.
  • suheysanchez
    suheysanchez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think I would prefer to set small goals. In my opinion you get to see the results faster.
  • fataalic
    fataalic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I set goals, but I don't set deadlines for them, and this has kept me going. There's no way to fail the goal because I have all the time in the world to reach it, but it still feels just as good when I reach that goal.

You are right about deadlines...I guess i should have said that setting goals with deadlines definitely doesn't work for me. :wink:
  • jazpurita
    jazpurita Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I also have goals set but no deadline if I meet the goals in 2 weeks or 2 years I will be happy knowing that I reached my goal of being healthier
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I know we are all different, and lose weight differently. What works for one person does not work for another....so I would like to hear your opinions on this...

The only major difference in individuals is what works for our motivation and the mental aspect of losing weight. The physical aspect is pretty standard from person to person (barring medical conditions, of course)
    A lot of people are setting small goals along the way as they are working on their weight loss because it helps them lose faster and stay motivated.
    Unfortunately, it does not work for me. I find it very frustrating and get very upset when I don't achieve the goals I set.
    I lose motivation and quit much sooner that I should.

Then don't set small goals. There is no reason to do so unless you find it personally motivating and/or it helps you achieve your overall goals.

It seems that losing slowly and without stressing about it works best for me. And that is hard to achieve. :ohwell:
    In the past, whenever I made any weight loss goals I failed. Now, I am just trying to eat like a normal person and lose weight eventually. Lose it in a year, two, five...does not matter as long as I lose it. I also don't have a specific goal of how much weight to lose. I would like to get down to 135 lbs, but 140, 145, 150 would be okay as well. As long as I feel comfortable with that weight.

Then do that. Sounds like you know what will work for you. And you might as well be doing something about your weight, since that time is going to pass anyway. Just keep a moderate calorie deficit, find some exercise you enjoy doing, and take a couple of days off from counting every few months. You'll get there.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I set different goals. I have long term goals, like lose 135 lbs and shorter term goals, like run a 5K, and even shorter goals like finish Couch to 5K in time mode, and even shorter goals, like this week, finish week 5 of C25K in time mode. I don't reward myself for each goal necessarily, but I acknowledge it to myself and occasionally publish it on facebook or tell my friends or family. These are just examples, but I have many goals, long and short.
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    I totally get you ataalic.

I spent the majority of my weight loss journey with not so much as a goal weight. I had so many pounds to lose that 10 or 20 lbs here and there had absolutely no significance to me. My only goal was to make sure that if I was not losing then I was also not gaining, and that worked for me because my yo yo-ing is what needed fixing.

I did not set a goal weight until two months ago because the numbers on the scale aren't my primary concern. I've been smaller at higher weights and larger at lower weights depending on how much muscle I had at the time so I really didn't know what to expect. Only after I approached what felt close enough for right to be within reach did I set a goal based on BMI, BF%, waist to hip ratio, and waist circumference. I've tweaked it and know it will need more tweaking and I'm cool with that. :)

There indeed is no one size fits all, but the S M A R T (Specific Measurable Attainable Relevant Time-Sensitive) goal approach appears to work for many based on what a personal trainer told me. If you haven't already, maybe you should give it try since you've got some time on your hands :)
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Very. Big goals can be discouraging, because it takes a pretty long time to finally get there. Smaller goals are manageable and keep you motivated. For example I set goals for 5 kg, instead of taking on 38 kg at once. 38 kg is scary, 5 kg not so much.