Who Counts Their Fresh Fruits & Veggies?

Options
In the past I have used Weight Watcher's to help manage my weight and on their plan some fresh fruits and veggies aren't counted towards your daily points. So the question I have for everyone is who adds their fruits and veggies to MyFitnessPal, who doesn't and why? I keep going back and forth of whether or not I should add them. Thank you :smile:

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, log it.

That's they way MFP works.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I figure if it has calories, I should log it. I guess if I didn't log my veggies I could drink an extra beer at night, though. Now there's a thought. :drinker:
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I could easily eat 500+ calories in fresh fruits and veggies every day. Log them if you're here to count calories.
  • sandy_gee
    sandy_gee Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, log it.

:drinker:
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    WW works in a way that kind of rounds things up and down to fit into their points system. MFP is very useful, not only for tracking calories, but nutrients and acting as a food diary just for informational purposes (ex. determining an allergy or intolerance). I think it's important to log everything you eat.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I track everything I eat, including fruits and vegetables. I even log my morning tea, which has no calories.
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I tried WW for a while and I don't understand how they count fruit as zero points. A banana can have over 100 calories. I just use MFP now and if I eat it, I count it.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I log everything. It all adds up toward a daily total for both my calories and for my macros totals.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Yup....log it all...
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, log it.

This
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    For me, it's very simple.

I am calorie counting in order to lose weight, therefore if it has calories, I count it.

WW is not calorie counting. It's a calculated program in which they have taken into consideration the amount of fruit and veg the average person might eat. Sometimes I think this might be why some people don't lose with their program.
  • Sardauker
    Sardauker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian... I usually eat >50% of my calories intake in fruit and veggies.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways. Now, I do count them and wouldn't go back to not counting them.

Set your calories to a reasonable spot and counting them won't seem so bad. They are generally lower calorie than non-whole, non-fresh foods.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    So the original WW system did have points for those foods. They changed their system to motivate people to eat more natural fruits and veggies by making them 0 points and increasing the points for other foods (ever notice that the "old" points on most foods with the points on the label is always at least 1 pt lower that the "new"points). They are assuming you will balance the fruits and veggies with other foods in your diet. MFP doesnt work that way. This is a straight calorie system. If you eat it, log it. You'd be surprised how many calories are in a banana! :drinker:
  • HH117178
    HH117178 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you everyone! It looks like the general consensus is to count my fruit & veggies. That wasn’t the answer I was hoping for (LOL) but I guess I will just have to suck it up and log it!!! :bigsmile:
  • beezbee
    beezbee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I always assumed it is designed to encourage folks to eat more healthy food, but I think that's the main reason WW didn't work for me. I was a vegetarian at the time, so fruits and veggies were the largest part of my diet. Fruit packs a lot of sugar, and both fruit and veggies provide a significant source of carbs (not to mention the fat eg in avocados...). No doubt they are healthy, but if you're trying to stay within your macros, you need to log everything you eat.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I used WW in the past also and didn't log fruit and started to slow down losing weight. I do though now with MFP..because A: They have calories and B. I want to keep within my macros as much as possible. ex. Carbs, sugars.

Oh and you wouldn't believe how much sugar is in some of the fruits we eat. ;)
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    fruits and veggies have calories,sodium and a certain amount of sugar even though it`s natural.This allows diabetics to keep better track of sugar intake.My theory is if I eat it I log it.:happy:
  • kohldawg9
    kohldawg9 Posts: 13
    Options
    Log it. If it goes in your mouth, then it should be logged.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    In the past I have used Weight Watcher's to help manage my weight and on their plan some fresh fruits and veggies aren't counted towards your daily points. So the question I have for everyone is who adds their fruits and veggies to MyFitnessPal, who doesn't and why? I keep going back and forth of whether or not I should add them. Thank you :smile:

I get why you might not bother - 5 cups of spinach is basically nothing, as far as calories go... but it does have iron and other stats I'd like to track. Besides, enough of those "10-50 calorie veggies" over the course of the day...