WHAT?? How can this be?!

Options
Today is one week on this program. How can yuo go from being pretty much sedentery and eating what you w:noway: ant to following 1200 calories and working on the elliptical 40-60 minutes each day and ONLY LOSE 2 pounds ! At this rate I'll be in a nursing home by the time I reach my goal !

Replies

• 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    A loss is a loss and a 2 pound loss is pretty darn good!! Give your body time to adjust to its new routine & nutrition, but whatever you do, do not give up! Keep going! :flowerforyou:
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    how much were you losing a week when you were sedentary and eating what you wanted?
  • nicoledc
    nicoledc Posts: 37
    Options
    Nope....not giving up - just expected more than 2 pounds - love that quote at the end of your reply !
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Agreed. You need to give you body time to understand what you're trying to do. If you've been eating way over 1200 calories before and not working out, your body might try to hold on to the fuel you are giving it until this lifestyle becomes a routine. 2 lbs in a week is pretty darn good! In the next few weeks you might see that jump but likely it will be mostly water weight. Keep at it! You'll be glad you did!
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    Weight loss doesnt happen overnight, sometimes it can be a very slow going process...dont get too discouraged! I know thats easier said that done, but why not focus more on how you feel and how your clothes fit rather than the number on the scale. If you are eatting better quality foods, drinking lots of water and exersizing, I bet you feel much better! and that is just as important as the number on the scale going down!
    You CAN do this, it just takes time and determination
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Today is one week on this program. How can yuo go from being pretty much sedentery and eating what you w:noway: ant to following 1200 calories and working on the elliptical 40-60 minutes each day and ONLY LOSE 2 pounds ! At this rate I'll be in a nursing home by the time I reach my goal !

You have been on this for one week and are already griping about a 2lbs weight loss?

How much did you think you were going to lose?

Water retention may have happened seeing as to how you have suddenly gone hell for leather on the elliptical. Fluid surrounds the muscles when they have been through the mill, it cushions them and protects them, whilst they recover.

You really need to look at what you want to achieve and stop expecting everything now. This programme is really designed to be a life-changing plan and not some quick fix, you can get that via the cabbage diet or the orange diet.

How do you know that until you reach your goal, you will not lose 2lbs every single week? 2lbs weight loss in a week is good going.

Put it this way, if you are already disheartened after just one week, are you sure you will persevere or are you going to use this as an excuse to stop it all?

Personally, I think you could easily do this :flowerforyou:
  • ritamelvin
    Options
    Keep it up!! I wish I'd lost 2 pounds this week.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I think you're a bit confused about how this works. Your expectations are all out of whack. I don't say this to upset you. I mention it to help you realign some of your focus to minimize frustrations going forward. If you're constantly expecting the impossible, chances of sticking with this for a lifetime, which is necessary, are slim.

What's your current weight, height and sex if you don't mind me asking? And how active are you outside of the gym?
  • Andre_Demers
    Options
    I know that results are hard to get but just think of how long it took you to get where you where. Work and patients. Some weeks you will wish to have lost 2 pounds. Just keep your view on the end result. You will get there. :smile:
  • lucifa73
    lucifa73 Posts: 110
    Options
    YOu don't give much background info so its hard to comment meaningfully.

A few things to consider:
    You're sticking to your calories but WHAT are you eating? Is it high in sodium? This can cause water retention which reflects on the scales
    Are you weighing yourself at the same time as your weighed in to start ?- all manner of bodily functions can affect your weight besides fat loss - fluids, full bowel, time of month...
    If you're exercising more then your muscles will also hold water in recovery
    If you haven't got much to lose the numbers are not likely to be so big
    Are you drinking enough? You need to drink pplenty of water so your body doesn't hold on to what little it can get.
  • nicoledc
    nicoledc Posts: 37
    Options
    Good point ! I guess I thought the first week would be the most weight loss and then it would taper off.
  • bettejeanb
    bettejeanb Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Because the weight does not always melt away immediately. Sometimes you have to keep up the diet and exercise for a while, I don't know how long it will take for you but eventually you will see results.

If you really want to lose weight and get at the underlying reasons why you eat the way you do, check out transformation.com.
    Really . They are a great group of people and they will help you on your journey. They will be there to cheer you on when you succeed and support you when you fall. The website is free. There is a book Bill Phillips transformation. But go to the website first and check it out. What do you have to lose? Only some weight and peace of mind.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Good point ! I guess I thought the first week would be the most weight loss and then it would taper off.

Damn biggest loser skews most people's expectations.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    2 lbs is a healthy amout to loose a week. But remember 1200 calories is probably too low if your working out fairly hard. Your body need a certin amout of calories just to function. So when your active or working out you need more. Yes you may need more to loose otherwise your body will go into survial mode and store your food as fat. Make sure you know what your magic number is to loose weight while being active and workingout. THIS is very important just like eating right and working out is.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Also your body may take a little while to realize what your doing. It has to reboot/reset its self
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    It takes some time for the deficit in your diet to translate to weight loss. It's not instant. If you are logging everything, then you should know how large your deficit is. And then, if you calculate those numbers to pounds, you can determine how much you (technically) should be losing. 3,500 calories = 1 pound. If your deficit is 1,000 calories a day, you will lose 2 pounds a week - 1,000 deficit x 7 days / 3,500 calories = 2 pounds. And that loss will show up down the road somewhere...a few days, a week, 2 weeks maybe...

Hang in there and be patient.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    I'd be thrilled if I lost 2lbs in a week!! Haven't seen that kind of loss in a loooooooong time. Keep doing wht you're doing, its working & will continue to work :flowerforyou: Congrats on the loss!!
  • gailosborne
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started, slow and steady wins the race. Keep going!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    It will come off but slowly is best. Don't give up.
    Some of us are going through the same thing.
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    After starting out at 1200 cal per day and not eating my exercise cals, I wasn't really losing weight.

I shifted that up to 1470 (1 lb per week) and started losing. Within a week.

Counterintuitive but I guess my body didn't trust me at the lower intake.

Mirii