Exercises for desk jobs?

Options
2»

Replies

• shannonb8489
    Options
    so as i was copying papers, i flexed... for lack of a better term.. my abs as each copy went through! lol secret sneaky workouts
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    There are under the desk pedal machines.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Would one of these be worth having? I've though about getting one to keep my legs moving but just not sure it'll really do anything for me.
    Physical activity of any type is much more beneficial then being sedentary all day.

Touche' :smile:
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I try to walk around as much as I can. I call it my stroll
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Push ups
    tricep dips (I have a desk with a computer in the corner)
    desk plank
    squats
    walking lunges

I walk/run the stairs when I'm feeling saucy.
    I also sit on an exercise ball most of the day.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    if you can close your dorr, you could do a series of situps, squats, pushups and lunges. Can you lay out a yoga mat? I'm sure there are a million "ten minute trainer" type videos out there.

At one of my jobs, we had actually convinced the boss to bankroll a treadmill, although we never went through with it because we couldn't think of a place to put it that wasn't embarassing or gross
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I have a set of 5 pound weights at my desk and I do shoulder extensions, arm curls and tricep extensions. In addition, I'll do a number of squats and lunges throughout the day, as well as desk push-ups (about a 45 degree angle from the floor). It's not much, but every bit counts when you have as sedentary a job as mine!
  • jeda1231
    jeda1231 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    this sounds really silly but I downloaded an App called "StandAlarm" And you can set it for every 30,40,60 min intervals to remind you to stand up. I use it to trigger me every 30-60min to stand up and take a few laps around my little office space. Everyone seems to glare at me as i'm walking around but it stretches your legs and helps with your back too! Granted you could just set an alarm every 60min but i thought the app was a cool idea!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I do squats when I go to the bathroom. Usually about 15-20.

Wow really? I only do one.
    I do a number 2
  • Every time I go to use the bathroom I do 15 squats and 20 wall push up.
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I converted my desk to a stand up. I walk in place a lot. Love it.
  • shannonb8489
    Options
    Well I work in a doctors office as a receptionist so everyone can see me lol but I have been trying to stand more, walk around more, stretch and i even did squats before i pooped! lol
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    There are under the desk pedal machines.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yes! I have one of these (bought it at KMart of all places) and I LOVE it. I even put it on the table top and use it for my arms (an idea I got from Biggest Loser of all things)
  • IrishChik
    Options
    Well I work in a doctors office as a receptionist so everyone can see me lol but I have been trying to stand more, walk around more, stretch and i even did squats before i pooped! lol

I had a friend who worked a front desk job, she would do a few stretch yoga type exercises every time she went to the bathroom!
  • IrishChik
    Options
    I converted my desk to a stand up. I walk in place a lot. Love it.

I want my husband to build me a desk around my treadmill. I have heard that (although expensive) the treadmills desks are something people rave about.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how about spending less time at your desk?

i print to the printer the furthest away from mydesk
    i go talk to coworkers rather than email or IM
    go for a walk at lunch
    i go to the bathroom that's furthest away

you can also ask HR to convert your desk to one where you can either stand or sit. i plan on doing that but need a note from my doctor first
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    this sounds really silly but I downloaded an App called "StandAlarm" And you can set it for every 30,40,60 min intervals to remind you to stand up. I use it to trigger me every 30-60min to stand up and take a few laps around my little office space. Everyone seems to glare at me as i'm walking around but it stretches your legs and helps with your back too! Granted you could just set an alarm every 60min but i thought the app was a cool idea!

I actually like this. It may seem strange to most but I can get focused on a spreadsheet or project and it will be 3 to 4 hours before I get up and move. (When a bathroom urge or thirst hits). I try to walk around every 30 minutes to an hour, but if I have a deadline I am trying to meet--- damn my focus. I work at a government installation, so can't walk or ride a bike in, but I have started parking in the furthest parking spot from the door. Plus I am here 10 and 1/2 hours a day, so I really NEED to move more!!!!!
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    stand up, walk around etc. I go for a run at lunch time as I am tied to a desk all day as well I walk around print stuff to the printer on the other side of the bldg. we have a gym at the Armory so if it's not so good weather outside we can workout........
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Food push aways, that is all. Leave the exercise for before or after work. All the little bits during a day will not add up to a hill of beans, so whatever you do, fine, but I would not fret about it.
  • DearJuliaG
    DearJuliaG Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I switched out my chair for a large exercise ball. It has helped with my core strength and I can bounce on it when noone is looking! You can build up to sitting it on it all day, one hour at a time.

But I do agree that it is better to get up from your desk and do laps around the office (take the long way to the bathroom or kitchen) and you can try standing when you are on a call.

Another thing that has helped me is wearing a pedomoter and setting a goal of 2,000 steps per day. This has has definitely allowed me to track how much I am moving throughout the day.

Good luck!