What is the female obsession with a 1200 calorie diet?

Options

Replies

• NikkiiiT
    NikkiiiT Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's a 'female obsession'

I am only 5ft 2 and have an office based job where I mostly sit at a desk so if I were to eat more I would gain weight. The only exercise I get is when I workout.

Don't assume that all women are eating the minimum because they want to lose weight quickly. I'm on 1200 and I'm losing weight gradually and healthily.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    dont be so quick to poo-poo 1200, depending on age, HEIGHT, gender, activity level, a lot of gals are going to lose quite nicely on 1200 cals per day and not feel famished.

hopefully they have their setting set to lose 1 lbs per week, meaning their daily burn is around 1700.

if however, their daily burn rate is 2200 cals per day and they have asked MFP to lose 2 lbs per week, then out comes another 1200 attempt that probably can't be sustained for long periods, is more likely to crash and burn and end up all over the forums.

calories is just one factor, listening to your body is another, believe me when i tell you, you dont have to starve yourself to lose weight. If you find yourself at 1200 and you feel like quitting, dont you think its better to up your cals to 1400-1500 per day instead of quitting?, a deficit is still a deficit, even if its not ideally what you wanted
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    in...for the 1200 debate and for 1200 is starvation mode, and all the other crap this thread will spawn....
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I work with a guy who only eats 1100. Personally I think that is extremely unsafe. He is losing the weight, but think of what he is doing to his body in the long run (starvation). Plus everytime he stops dieting he gains some weight back. I wish people will realize its not about dieting, but its about a LIFE STYLE CHANGE!!!!
  • MrsG31
    MrsG31 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I think some sort of study years ago indicated that 1200 calories is the lowest amount an average woman should eat for weight loss (potentially based off average BMR). People took that information as the golden standard and ran with it. Often people are of the all-or-nothing mentality, so when they hear they can lose weight the "healthy" way by eating 1200 calories they jump into it. They want to lose weight fast and they think more (as in more of a deficit) is better. MFP sets many of our calories at that level initially when we say we want to lose 2 pounds a week.

I think this sounds about right.

I have to say though since I am new at this, it can be daunting. When you (meaning me..and some other ppl I am sure) come to a point where you know you want to lose weight, the first thing you look at is your diet and think if I continue to eat as much as I have been (the portion sizes, the late night snacks, liquid calories in the form juices, soda, and beer, and just plain old junk) nothing is going to happen, then limiting your calories to somewhere around 1200 seems like a good idea. Especially when you aren't really exercising. And are just under 5'1". (<---that one is just me)

So to answer the OP question - it is popular b/c when you start looking at how many calories are in some of our favorite foods/meals, your mind is like "WHOA, I EAT A LOT AND I NEED TO NIP THAT &*#@ IN THE BUD PRONTO! "

Not saying it is right or will work, but I think that is the general thought process to people who are not health experts.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800-2100 a day and workout 5x a week. I use the TDEE method and I lost almost a pound and a half last week. the 1200 cal a day diet is BS in my opinion. I did that diet and gained back 20 pounds because my body couldn't adjust to eating more once I tried to eat more than 1200 a day again.

Do you wonder if you might gain if someday you stop working out 5x a week? Seems a similar risk to me.

1200 a day is not BS for *me* because I'm not working out/lifting very much (my daily exercise is usually a brisk walk with my dog ;) ).

Are we supposed to stop working out at some point? :laugh:

Seriously, tho...Using TDEE, if your activity level drops/stops/increases, you would simply re-calculate and eat accordingly. I know I had to recalculate when I got benched in April. The decrease in calories wasn't as huge a deal as I thought, simply because the activity level was gone, and the hugries went with it.
  • ninakale
    ninakale Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here are my stats:

127 pounds, 5'3. I want to lose about 5 pounds. I have a desk job. MFP gives me 1200 calories to lose .7 pounds per week (net, not gross). That is just how it is for some people who may not have too much weight to lose.

I personally use TDEE -20, however, it is not that far off.

I do Stronglifts, so I eat more on my lifting days, and if I am hungry, I eat. But if my goal is to lose weight I have to have a deficit.

If you are doing Stronglifts, why is your goal to lose weight? isn't it more accurate to say your goal is to lose fat and add muscle?

At this point my goal is to lose fat and maintain muscle. This is not unusual..
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I thought it was because 1200 cals is MFP's minimum allowed.

I thought this as well.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I disagree, I eat 1200 calories a day and still have weight to loose. Most fitness guru's agree-unless your a body builder-don't minus every calorie you use during your work out-where is the 200-300 deficit you need to lose weight? Just saying....
    In your diet.

Derp.
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800-2100 a day and workout 5x a week. I use the TDEE method and I lost almost a pound and a half last week. the 1200 cal a day diet is BS in my opinion. I did that diet and gained back 20 pounds because my body couldn't adjust to eating more once I tried to eat more than 1200 a day again.

Do you wonder if you might gain if someday you stop working out 5x a week? Seems a similar risk to me.

1200 a day is not BS for *me* because I'm not working out/lifting very much (my daily exercise is usually a brisk walk with my dog ;) ).

Nope I don't worry because I know my TDEE right now at my current weight is 2600 calories, so I need to eat that much every day to MAINTAIN my weight. so I bump off 500 calories to lose one pound a week and it works for me. and it's easier to switch to maintenence without your body going into shock

without your body going into shock. :huh:

Yes, shock. You know, when your body is not used to so much calories and all of a sudden you switch to maintenance and dump like 1000 extra a day into yourself after being on a 1200 calorie diet for six months? you're supposed to gradually up your calories and with the TDEE method there is less transition when I eat 2000 calories a day and switch to 2500 to maintenance as opposed to eating 1200 a day and then eating 2500 a day for maintenance.
  • bluebelltinkerbell
    bluebelltinkerbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I think mfp sets the intake at 1200 calories for any female who chooses to lose 2 pounds per week. Isn't that correct? If so, I would think that's why so many people come in to the forums asking about 1200 calorie diets.

No, I set mine at 1lb a week thinking it would give me more but it put me at 1200! I am only 5'1 though
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I fast Mon, Wed, and Fri. On my eating days I bank 2000 net (which is like 2000 - 4000 gross). Still losing.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Hell no.
    Anywhere from 1,640-2,100 depending on my activity level for the day. And that's still at a deficit.
  • ksuetorres
    ksuetorres Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NoelleS85
    NoelleS85 Posts: 89
    Options
    I am set to 1200 I eat back most if not all my workout calories. I use a HRM so hopefully I am in the correct ballpark with what I burn. I am only 5ft tall so for me that is the right amount to lose weight. I have to be honest what I have learned about all this working out losing weight...is it is NOT one size fits all. No two bodies work the same. It is trial and error to see what fits you best.

I agree that it is NOT one size fits all.

BUT, just because you're only 5' tall doesn't mean you should eat 1200 calories. I'm only 5' tall and I eat 1650. I just think if you CAN eat more and still lose weight, then why wouldn't you?

Exactly this. I lost weight just fine on 1,200 calories, but when I started eating 1,500 or more, I noticed I was still losing, so why would I want to go back to 1,200? I think people are scared of eating more than 1,200 because of what they have been told all their lives. It's hard to believe something when you've been taugh differently.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It's mostly because everyone thinks weight loss is about calories only. Eat less calories, lose more weight and faster. Unfortunately, our bodies are more complex than that, and had to be in order to avoid starvation in times of food shortage.

The reason so many people think that 1200 is appropriate is because many doctors and diet organizations, such as Weight Watchers, used to promote low calorie dieting to people trying to lose weight. It's no surprise that the more we fail the more money we continue to spend to try to lose weight. We are convinced it's our own fault, and the weight loss/health industry is somehow blameless, no matter the profits they make from our desperation.

The biggest problem is with people themselves. Many people input a goal of losing 2 pounds per week in their settings without consideration of whether that goal is healthy or attainable and, except for very obese people at the beginning of their weight loss journey, it isn't. So, MFP spits out the minimum of 1200 and this becomes the mantra: "MFP said to eat 1200".
  • Ashleyxjamie
    Ashleyxjamie Posts: 223 Member
    Options

Are we supposed to stop working out at some point? :laugh:

Seriously, tho...Using TDEE, if your activity level drops/stops/increases, you would simply re-calculate and eat accordingly. I know I had to recalculate when I got benched in April. The decrease in calories wasn't as huge a deal as I thought, simply because the activity level was gone, and the hugries went with it.

^^^^^ this. if you decrease the workout you recalulate. simple.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It's pushed on us A LOT. Ever since I was young reading just about any "beauty" magazine just about every "get into shape" article recommended crazy assed things like eating half a grapefruit for breakfast. 3 saltines for snack, a half can of tuna and some celery for lunch, half an apple for a snack and 2 ounces of chicken with steamed veg for dinner.

Hell even when I buy meal replacement shakes like slimfast (I'm not a protein powder kind of girl and I like to add them to smoothies now and then). ALL of those cans of meal replacement include a diet plan that puts you on 1200ish calories. Like slimfasts 3-2-1 plan. It's allows MAX 1600 calories a day. That's insane.

I think it just comes down to a lack of understanding just what you need to fuel your body and why. Being too lazy to go out and learn about intake Vs output and again with the whys. I think we also still listen to/believe a lot of antiquated nutrition/diet science. We still believe what our mothers and grandmothers have been telling us. Info they got in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

And then there is the part where "it's not happening fast enough" I see that every single day. "I've been at it for like 2 weeks and I'm still fat- What gives?"

So short answer: impatience, misinformation, laziness.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Nope I don't worry because I know my TDEE right now at my current weight is 2600 calories, so I need to eat that much every day to MAINTAIN my weight. so I bump off 500 calories to lose one pound a week and it works for me. and it's easier to switch to maintenence without your body going into shock

without your body going into shock. :huh:

Yes, shock. You know, when your body is not used to so much calories and all of a sudden you switch to maintenance and dump like 1000 extra a day into yourself after being on a 1200 calorie diet for six months? you're supposed to gradually up your calories and with the TDEE method there is less transition when I eat 2000 calories a day and switch to 2500 to maintenance as opposed to eating 1200 a day and then eating 2500 a day for maintenance.

Eating 1000 extra calories per day will not send a body into shock.
  • bdtyson77302
    bdtyson77302 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    When I signed on to MFP and entered my goals...it was the magic number that was given to me..1250. I nearly passed out at the thought! I haven't been able to keep it under 1500 on most days and I've lost 48 pounds total so I guess weight can be lost if you eat more! imagine that! :)