Who Counts Their Fresh Fruits & Veggies?

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If you bite it, write it. Just as an example, a medium banana has 105 calories and a medium apple has 80 calories. If you had one of each and were on a 500 calorie deficit to lose a pound a week, you have just erased more than one third of your daily deficit.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I always log everything, no exceptions.

A medium apple is 80 cals. A banana is 100+ cals. I often have 200-300 calories of veges with my lunch.

So a pre-workout banana, lunch veges and an apple as a snack in the afternoon could wipe out my 500 calorie deficit if I didn't log them.

I don't know much about WW, but I'm guessing that their program assumes a certain amount of fruit and veg in a day, and adjusts down the base points to accommodate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    In the past I have used Weight Watcher's to help manage my weight and on their plan some fresh fruits and veggies aren't counted towards your daily points. So the question I have for everyone is who adds their fruits and veggies to MyFitnessPal, who doesn't and why? I keep going back and forth of whether or not I should add them. Thank you :smile:

If you want to do WW, then do WW...if you want to count calories, then count calories. When you count calories, everything has calories so you count everything. With WW, everything is points and those points may or may not have a direct correlation to the calories consume...i.e. zero points for fruits and veg, while other things have more points attributed to them than what their true calorie score would be. This is how they essentially net things out.

If you're counting calories, it is important to actually count all calories. I eat about 300 + calories per day in fruits and veg alone...considering I only have a calorie deficit of 250 calories per day from maintenance, if I didn't count them and still ate to my calorie goal, I'd actually be at a calorie surplus.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers when they did Points Plus. I don't get this new program they have. I joined on a free trial trying to entice me to come back, and I hated it! The first time I did WW, the pounds came off fairly easy. This time around, not so much!

Here, I do count my fruit and veggies. It adds up. 1200 calories in fruit and veg are still 1200 calories.
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used to be on Weightwatchers and I could never understand why I struggled to lose weight some weeks. I would lose some, but it was never as much as I had predicted. Since starting MFP I've realised why my weight loss was so erratic on WW - it's because of all this so-called 'free food' that I was eating!

Unbeknownst to me, I could sometimes be eating up to 500-600 calories MORE than I thought I was eating because I assumed the food was 'free'! Don't get me wrong, I know if you sit and eat 20 lettuces a day you're going to be eating a fair amount of calories, despite lettuce being healthy... but on WW I would eat things here and there - a salad with my lunch, carrot sticks for snacks, sugar free jelly, gherkins, tomatoes cucumber etc... and these little snack-y things added up! Sometimes they added up to quite a significant amount of calories! So when I thought I was consuming 1200-300 calories (thus expecting around a 2lb loss each week) I could sometimes be eating more like 1800-900 in a day, which is why I was so confused about my slow weight loss.

Now that I'm using MFP I'm able to see the calorie content of all these 'free' foods, and it's quite scary how I was deluded into thinking I could eat as much of them as I wanted without eating many calories! The first time I made myself a salad and logged it on MFP (one that I wouldn't have counted in my points on WW) it was round about 100 calories!

So I make sure I log absolutely everything I eat on here - even down to the herbs and spices I use haha. Maybe a bit obsessive, but I find it interesting to see how the calories can quickly add up when you're not paying attention!! :P

(edited to fix the terrible grammar akin to a 5 year old... :P )
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Every calorie counts.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, log it.

That's they way MFP works.

^ Yes
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    I get why you might not bother - 5 cups of spinach is basically nothing, as far as calories go... but it does have iron and other stats I'd like to track. Besides, enough of those "10-50 calorie veggies" over the course of the day...

I generally don't log things like spinach or other greens just because they are so low calorie and it hasn't made a difference. At first I would try to weigh out one serving on my food scale but one serving of spinach is HUGE and doesn't even fit on a plate.

Basically if something comes in at under 15 calories, I usually don't bother. It isn't going to make much of a difference for me and it isn't like I sit there and eat 100 calories worth of 15 calorie things to get out of logging. I figure it balances out with activity that I don't log.
  • kjmenser
    kjmenser Posts: 30
    Options
    I do!!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I count fruits and veggies. Why woudn't you? Its food and you're eating it, right?

Gotta throw the WW mind set out the window and start a new way of thinking here on MFP.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My macros would be pretty far off-base if I didn't, and my calories would be off by a couple hundred a day. For someone my size, that's a lot, so I absolutely add them.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I log the fruits religiously as I track my sugar and calories, both of which can be quite high in fruit. I log the vegetables when I have a lot of time and doesn't bother me to spend 5 minutes on my iphone searching for calories in a carrot... other than then no to logging veggies, because it's friggen tedious and the 3 calories in a cup of lettuce, or the 0 calories in a cucumber, I can't be bothered with logging. Having said that, I always round up in my portions as well so there's def. extra calories covered for what veggies I don't log.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    if it goes in my mouth, i log it - regardless of what it is
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I log them, not because I'm concerned about the # of calories they add, but because it pleases me so much to see that can eat a generous portion of fruits and veggies and they're really so FEW calories! :-)

Plus I think it's worth having the data in case you want to look back and try and identify patterns. For instance, I know that when I really eat a lot of fruits and veggies, I get fewer and less severe migraines.

(I have done WW too.)
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    That's why its weight watches and many ppl fail with their logic.
    Have Food relapses and gain all the weight back
  • KimLee76
    KimLee76 Posts: 89
    Options
    I track everything I eat, including fruits and vegetables. I even log my morning tea, which has no calories.

Yeah this ^^^

I am not using MFP as just a calorie counter. I track other nutrients and also like to have a complete picture of the meals.

Also, I'm sure WW's point system is based on some elaborate algorithm that accounts for those missing fruit & veggie calories, but you should think of MFP as an abacus :smile:
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I count everything that goes in my mouth no matter what it is a piece of fruit to a tic tac period!
  • mfreeman0921
    mfreeman0921 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I absolutely count fruits and veggies. At least 400 calories a day goes toward fruit alone in a day for me. I would bet that it I didn't log my fruits and veggies I would not have lost even close to what I have by counting them.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    If you eat it, log it.

That's they way MFP works.
    Yes, yes.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    In the past I have used Weight Watcher's to help manage my weight and on their plan some fresh fruits and veggies aren't counted towards your daily points. So the question I have for everyone is who adds their fruits and veggies to MyFitnessPal, who doesn't and why? I keep going back and forth of whether or not I should add them. Thank you :smile:

Why wouldn't you? It's a food log, not a game.

If you imbibe, play the scribe.