MFP and Pregnancy

Options
Hi all, I just joined and wanted your advice on loosing weight during pregnancy. A long time ago I lost 100lb and 80lb managed to creep back on over the last 4 years. I know that tracking calories is the only way I can loose it, it’s how I did it the first time. I’m just worried about what approach I should have while trying to get pregnant. I asked my doctor and she just directed me to a pamphlet that said I shouldn’t gain any weight. I think I should keep eating 500 cals below my output until I know I’m pregnant but at 218lb, should I keep trying to cut those 500 after? At least until I hit the 2nd trimester or should I start eating maintenance calories right away? I had a miscarriage in April and in just those short 2 months I gained 6lb and now I’m scared to imagine how hard it’s going to be getting around with an extra 40+lb tacked on. Has anyone on here used MFP through out a pregnancy?

Replies

• LouMaeFitz
    LouMaeFitz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this when I was pregnant because I thought I shouldn't gain any weight. But if I were you, I would consider changing doctors. It's really, really hard to not gain weight during pregnancy, and the last thing you want to do is stress yourself out about calorie counting. If you're generally healthy, gaining the lower end of what's "normal" (roughly 20 lbs or so) shouldn't be that big of a deal.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I tried to not gain weight during pregnancy by tracking calories and it just wasn't happening. I also had a very difficult time losing weight immediately post partum (even as a breastfeeding mom!). However, I don't think there's anything wrong with cutting calories while you are trying to conceive - although it may mess with your cycles a little at first and of course that adds a challenge to conceiving a baby.
  • 1sisrat
    1sisrat Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat at least 1600 cal a day, and keep active (walking, swimming, yoga). Don't lift weights if you werent before you were pregnant and if you did, don't lift too heavy and stop in second trimester. (the eating should be healthy eating, as tempting and easy as picking dinner up on the way home will be, and it will be when you are dead tired).

I was running till my second trimester, but, then the baby felt like it was bouncing on my bladder and I had to stop to pee too much. I started speed walking at that point till I came down with pre-eclampsia and had to stop all together. though, because of that i cannot get rid of the weight i gained while iw as ordered to stop exercising.

you will lose a lot a of muscle when pregnant. when you are cleared after pregnancy you will have more fat than you ever have had. pilates/heavy lifting/moderate cardio (probobly starting at 3 months postpartum).

I am just figuring out the muscle loss thing, I wish I'd been lifting since my daughter was born (1 year ago).
  • LenaCara
    LenaCara Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks! I only plan on decreasing my intake by 500 which still leaves me at 1600 per day, 2100 when I work out. It feels like plenty of food. I’m not really worried about gaining weight, I just want to make sure I don’t over indulge. This may sound crazy but I’ve always know how to diet and how to overeat when I’m stressed. I never really learned how to eat to maintain. I’m hoping to just get back in the habit of reasonable portion sizes.