Can't stop eating...almost back to my start weight :(

Options

Replies

• sleepingtodream
    sleepingtodream Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I just LOVE FOOD and don't want to cut calories and exercise like a freak again. Every Sunday or Monday is a "new start" for me for six months now, and it's getting so old...I cut enough calories from my binges to maintain my weight, but not lose. I just can't say no to the donut shop some mornings, desserts at night, or overeating pizza or Mexican when going out.

This is your problem right here... You don't want to diet and exercise like a freak again. You set your up for failure by trying to sprint a marathon. this takes time, it takes patience.

Donuts are okay "some" mornings, deserts at night are okay, mexican is okay, and so is pizza. the problem is "OVER CONSUMPTION." To many calories, that's the problem.

Here is some advice, lower the intake of the foods. If they cause you to "binge" then cut the out. You can't eat what you don't have.

This is about habits,habits is what keep us thin or keep us fat, you have to change that. How do you develop habits, with time and patience. If you eat food that causes you to binge every morning. Shoot to eat better options 3x a week. Is that so hard? No, once you get the hang of that, got it down solid, then do 7 days a week. Same with exercise. I couldn't even walk 10mins. What i would do is start off walking 8 minutes, taking a break, then walking another 2. People would say "you won't accomplish anything like that." They missed the point my view isn't to "lose weight" it was to build "habits." The habit of doing something daily. Once i was doing something daily, then i would increase the time. those 10mins turned in to 1hr and 30minutes. Hopefully you get my point of gradual progression.

Right on! Love your conversation about habits:)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    What Pu said is spot on, it's about building habits. It's also about finding those triggers. I find that if I eat chocolate, I crave chocolate. If I work through those cravings and don't eat it for a while, I stop wanting it.

The occasional take-away or donut is fine, and you will be able to fit that in without gaining weight. I think your trouble is you went all out when you lost weight and 'exercised like crazy'. This needs to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. Find something you can stick with forever, enjoy the occasional treat, comprise a realistic exercise plan, and work from there.
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Hi I would like to share my story too. I lost 60lbs about 2 years ago. When I had back surgery in December I ended up gaining all my weight back because I could not do a darn thing but sit and eat. A lot of people tried to make me feel better by saying "Well you had surgery so you were going to gain some". Lets see I am pretty sure getting ice cream every day and eating junk was the cause not just sitting around. I know when I lost my weight I busted my hump to do it. I exercised all the time and ate 1200 cals a day. I was a machine! Now I am almost back to my starting weight and I have become very sad about it. However I have finally made it 3 days and lost 3lbs so far. If I can make it 3 days and no exercise you can too! This is the hardest thing I have done besides quitting smoking which I also restarted in February. So now I have gone back to my old self in less than 6 months but it took me 9 months to a year to get to the 60lbs loss and quit smoking! I am going to friend request you and maybe we can stick together and make it a goal to get healthy together! You can also look at my friend list I have a couple of really great friends who have stuck by me even though I have been missing almost 6 months trying to get me motivated again!
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    same suggestion. if pizza and sweets are problems for you, I get that. Then don't let them in the house, because they're not your friends. maybe learn how to make yourself some substitutes that fill your cravings...the cauliflower-crust pizza or portabella mushroom pizza. someone had a nice recipe for that microwave cake in a cup done low-calorie style with apple sauce.

You've done such an amazing job and it's a pretty rare person who maintains like you have for so long, so I hope you're not down on yourself, because I'm all admiration for you. what you have achieved is so much bigger than any pizza, any piece of cake. You can live without those, but you can't live without your health and vitality.

I agree! I still treat myself to full fledge things here and there.. but making your own pizza with whole wheat crusts and lower fat meats are great.. and I found a great recipe for brownies that uses apple sauce and only has 101 cals per slice.. its a great treat freezes awesome! You can find replacements just takes work.. you have done it before and reaching out shows you can do it again!!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    If you gave up all your favorite foods when you lost the weight then that is why you failed. It's important to make this a lifestyle change and don't deprive youself of things you love. For instance my co-worker brought donuts in and I love these so I had one and what I did was work it into my calories. I had to give up something else to have it. I am maintaining and on occasions I have a cheat day where I eat what I want and yes I'll gain a pound or two but now I know how to get it right back off. The key is to have your favorites in moderation. I make my own pizzas now that are a lot less fattening but I still indulge in the occasional real fat one.

So try not depriving yourself. I will tell myself I can have more of that tomorrow :}
  • abbyblackcft
    Options
    Like a previous poster said, saying you don't want to work out is setting you up to fail before you get started. Second, if you find yourself with junk food in the house and you really have no self control eat the least healthiest items in the morning and eat healthier as the day progresses. This will allow you to have the whole day to burn high calorie foods before bed.

After I delivered my son in 2/2012, I made a public promise to lose the baby weight. This helped keep me motivated. I also joined a local weight loss challenge and WON!

If you truly are interested in losing weight, you will have to be honest and realize you do have to work out and you do have to watch your diet. There aren't two ways about it.

Some workouts you may want to try are activities you really enjoy, then you won't feel you are "working out like a freak". You may have to "date" workouts to see which ones you enjoy the most. Also, try demo'ing a road bike from a local bike store in your area. I find I burn a TON of calories on my road bike.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I just LOVE FOOD and don't want to cut calories and exercise like a freak again. Every Sunday or Monday is a "new start" for me for six months now, and it's getting so old...I cut enough calories from my binges to maintain my weight, but not lose. I just can't say no to the donut shop some mornings, desserts at night, or overeating pizza or Mexican when going out.

This is your problem right here... You don't want to diet and exercise like a freak again. You set your up for failure by trying to sprint a marathon. this takes time, it takes patience.

Donuts are okay "some" mornings, deserts at night are okay, mexican is okay, and so is pizza. the problem is "OVER CONSUMPTION." To many calories, that's the problem.

Here is some advice, lower the intake of the foods. If they cause you to "binge" then cut the out. You can't eat what you don't have.

This is about habits,habits is what keep us thin or keep us fat, you have to change that. How do you develop habits, with time and patience. If you eat food that causes you to binge every morning. Shoot to eat better options 3x a week. Is that so hard? No, once you get the hang of that, got it down solid, then do 7 days a week. Same with exercise. I couldn't even walk 10mins. What i would do is start off walking 8 minutes, taking a break, then walking another 2. People would say "you won't accomplish anything like that." They missed the point my view isn't to "lose weight" it was to build "habits." The habit of doing something daily. Once i was doing something daily, then i would increase the time. those 10mins turned in to 1hr and 30minutes. Hopefully you get my point of gradual progression.

^^SO this. I still have cookies, pizza, ice cream... but I don't have it when I CRAVE it either (otherwise i would be eating it all the time, which is how I got big in the first place). I'll have one cookie one night, and that will have to satisfy me because I'm working too hard on being healthy i'm not about to binge and screw up all my progress.

How often do I work out? Maybe twice a week. Yes i'm losing slowly, but i'm building habits, not trying to just lose it quick for an event, just to gain it all back. I'm planning on keeping it off.

You need to cut out the sugars if that's your trigger, and yes cave in once in a while to cravings but not every day or even multiple times a day or week. This is a lifestyle, not a diet or a chore.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7ukcrrlf31ranhnao1_500.gif

harsh reality right there.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I follow a pretty moderate diet these days with plenty of room for some sweets and other treats....

But years ago I was a total sugar fiend, I was eating several candy bars a day and other sugary things. At the time, I went on a low fat diet and gave up all sugary treats, drinks, etc. for about 2 months. The strangest thing happened, after a couple months when I loosened up on that diet, I have never craved sweets again in the same way. Still like them and eat small bits of it from time to time, but it's just not the same. So...if you are really feeling hooked on sugar, maybe try cutting it all out for awhile as an experiment if you really feel being hooked on sugar is the issue.

Lots of other great advice here too about building habits and not restricting everything, I definitely don't say cut out everything you love but maybe going on a temporary candy strike or something would shake up your cravings?
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    First of all, you need to stop giving yourself permission to eat those types of foods that tend to make you binge. You give yourself an answer the minute a craving creeps into your mind and gets your mouth watering. YOU have the power, you just need to use it.

Now, I am an ex-binger. What helped me tremendously was going cold turkey, low carb. That meant NO SUGAR, FLOUR, PASTA, GRAINS. After the first week, the cravings were few and far between. After the 2nd week, seeing how much I lost, how I felt and didn't get an inkling of a craving, I knew it was the plan for me.

You can add things in later, but at least you'll be able to figure out what your triggers are and what you can't bring into the house anymore.

By eliminating the sugar, flour and grains from your daily diet, it DOES cut down on your daily cravings by taking away the sweet factor.

What I learned from my low carb journey, I brought into the low calorie journey I am on now and I am able to enjoy a few things here and there without the triggers of a binge. I still have to avoid a few foods I can never allow myself to start, otherwise I know a binge will be following. I can't even remember the last time I had a full on binge. The freedom is great! Its hard work but its great!

I wish you much luck and I do hope you find the right way to end these binges. You're worth it to start taking control and bring the person you're meant to be without this looming over your head. =)
  • helenwilliams78
    helenwilliams78 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You say you can cut enough calories from your binges to maintain so why not try losing 0.5lb per week. It'll be a lot easier than the 2lb a week you were trying before and may be easier to keep off too.
    You also say you don't want exercise like a freak again - just do a little, maybe 20 mins 3x a week but force yourself to do more if you let yourself binge.

You did amazingly well to lose the weight you just need to find some moderation now.

You can do it!
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. I can't stop eating M&Ms. I tried not buying them, and then I go crazy and make my husband go out and get them. I was doing okay last week, but then I had what felt like a low blood sugar thing, so I had a handful. It helped, but then I was craving them bad and ate more the next day. Then all weekend. I'm reading The Omni diet, and it keeps telling me in detail how bad sugar and the things I love are for me, and what they'll do to me in the short and long term. I'm hoping that will help. They also say that if I stick to the meal plan, I won't crave sugar anymore. Here's hoping.

14877786.png
  • nope31
    nope31 Posts: 174
    Options
    I think the question you need to ask yourself is what have you learned from gaining all the weight back?
    What was it that took the weight off?
    What worked?
    What didn't?
    What will you do differently this time?
    What are you willing to sacrifice?
    Is it all really worth it to you?
    Maybe you are just one of those ppl that doesn't really want to change, and that's okay too.
  • cineshome
    cineshome Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ebtiesman11
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I love candy, especially. It's a stress reliever for me to enjoy Starbursts or gummy bears, but they're loaded with empty carbs and sugar. In their place, I've been adjusting to natural fruit juice fruit snacks, which helps cut the craving but satisfy my sweet tooth. They're not an ideal replacement, but it's a better alternative.

My fiancee and I are making a vow to cut out snack cakes and ice cream from our shopping trips. In an effort to save money for our honeymoon, we're going to starting eating more fresh produce (fruits and veggies), salads, chicken and other more cost-friendly alternatives. Health AND saving money? Win, win!

When you're with friends and the food is tempting, have a little bite, or split a plate with someone. You can opt, too, to ask for a doggie bag right off the bat. I've done that a few times but I often forget. The other option is WATER! Hydrate yourself with water at every meal (or the beginning) and it will cut down your hunger pangs.

No matter what happens, you're all doing a great job and don't feel otherwise, even if you have a bad day every now and then. Today is my first day, and I'm more optimistic than I've ever been -- this post and replies have helped, too.
  • norrisski
    norrisski Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    You have to decide what is more important: Having a great healthy body or that second helping of food or the sugary treat. There will always be temptations out there and only you can decide how you are going to deal with them. Me, I have learned that I can now have one bite size candy bar without wanting the whole bag but it took me a year to get to that point. And if I feel the urge for a sweet treat I do listen to that urge or it becomes an out of control desire. I have also looked in the mirror and love what looks back at me and hate the old me in photos so I have no intention of screwing that up and yes I have screwed it up at least 5 times that I can remember. I am now done with the old me and love the new me way too much for failure. So have faith in yourself and learn to like the person in the mirror.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My habit is calorie counting now.

Yesterday I wanted a snack, instantly my brain screamed HOT FUDGE CAKE!! Pretty much made from a box cake with hot fudge on it and ice cream. I was so set to do it, till I looked at the calories.. I ABOUT DIED, It was 440 calories for 1 slice and about 72 carbs. I use to EAT THIS CRAP and with ice cream on top of that it would come in at a whopping 600 calories with ice cream.

That is a HUGE chunk of my calories, instead I swapped. I got a chocolate cake like brownie (170 a 12 inch brownie) and ice cream and it was like the same thing!! With the hot fudge cake, no doubt I would have binged. I know I would have because my MIND wanted it and not myself.

Set yourself up for success and not failure. A few months ago I wouldn't have been that way. But with doing MFP and counting calories and exercising..I am being a better person to myself. You can do this, it may seem hard starting out again but once you get back into it, you will melt it off in a snap!!

This! OMG This!

OP, I am with you. Last week I went looking for sweets, even though I *knew* I didn't need it.

Everyone here has great advice.

Don't let it in your house, make better adjustments. Try to figure out what you are craving and give yourself a healthier option. Soemtimes, you will just want that candy bar- and that's ok. But, try the strawberries/fruit first, and see if it satiates it.

Also, don't beat yourself up if you have a *bad* day. One day didn't make you overweight, nor will one day may you skinny. Have patience (I wish I could listen to myself on that one!)

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Hi all...so I got serious in January 2012 about losing weight after a "mirror reality check", and I buckled down, got serious about losing the weight, and lost about 2 lb a week and ended up reaching my goal of 154 down to ~125lb. Anyways, a year and a half later (technically just a year after hitting bottom), I have gained a decent amount back - I'm about 145 lb. I am not satisfied with my current self knowing that I can do better and keep it, but, I just LOVE FOOD and don't want to cut calories and exercise like a freak again. Every Sunday or Monday is a "new start" for me for six months now, and it's getting so old...I cut enough calories from my binges to maintain my weight, but not lose. I just can't say no to the donut shop some mornings, desserts at night, or overeating pizza or Mexican when going out.

To get to the point, I guess my ultimate point is: if you are similar to me and have borderline overeating/binge disorder (esp. with sweets), how do you just stop saying "no" to these things?

I'm looking at programs that revolve around sugar addiction and trying to work through that, I think it's the root of my problems. I even feel like sugar stuff has started to emotionally affect my daily lifestyle (highs, lows, out of control cravings, etc.).

I am a smart and educated girl, and even worse I know tons about nutrition and wellness, and am a decent chef. And, I have the time. I just can't seem to say "no" to my junk food, or overeating when the opportunity presents itself (I also just moved to San Francisco and there is food everywhere!). Any help, would be very appreciated - especially from serious sugar addicts/overeaters who have learned to stop the punishment/reward cycle of high-calorie bad for ya foods. Thanks! ;)
    You associate weekends with "time off". Unlike work, the body doesn't relax from metabolism. So you eat more, you need to burn more.
    I'm personally not against people having a good time on the weekend, but if they are going to whine about it on Monday, then they need to change their weekend habits. When you WANT to do it, it will happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • keithgoode
    keithgoode Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's as fundamental as rethinking your motivation for losing weight. If the end goal isn't compelling enough, it'll be easier to slip and start doing the things that you know you shouldn't do. At the same time, maybe it's also knowing how to reward yourself for hitting the smaller goals. I absolutely have to reward myself every week with ONE cheat meal (reasonably portioned, of course), or I'd go insane. I also set 25-pound rewards for myself to have longer-term goals. ... But ultimately, there is one thing waiting for me at the end of this weight-loss challenge that propels me forward every day. It sits in the back of my mind every time I feel like giving up halfway through a weight-lifting set or whenever I get jealous of people who can eat anything they want and not gain a pound. I would have given up 10 times over by now if I didn't have my ultimate motivation. ... So maybe ask yourself why you want to lose weight and get in shape. If you say it out loud to yourself and you respond, "meh," maybe find something much more important to you and make that your reason.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Small steps until they become habits
    If you slip up start again with the next bite, meal, day.