Any carb counters? Diabetic query...

Options

Replies

• harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    In my state we are allowed to see a dietician every year or two if you are diabetic. They have me set to 50-60 per meal and 15 for snacks. I know the portion per meal is smaller for women but I would suggest seeing a dietician for more accurate information.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and severe insulin resistance. What works best for me is to keep my carbs around 25-30g/day (net) - and my macros are set at 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat.

You'll hear different from everyone, so why not try adjusting your macros and see how your body reacts?
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and severe insulin resistance. What works best for me is to keep my carbs around 25-30g/day (net) - and my macros are set at 5% carbs, 20% protein, 75% fat.

You'll hear different from everyone, so why not try adjusting your macros and see how your body reacts?

With those ratios, you're a woman after my own heart.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My mom is a diabetic and controls it with diet. Every morning she has an english muffin with cheese for breakfast. Mixing your proteins and carbs will make a difference. Also, when she adds a new meal to their diet, she'll check her sugar about an hour after to see if it's a keeper or not. She still enjoys pasta's and breads. It's just how she mixes them with other foods that makes a difference.

This is what works for me! I get 100 carbs a day mixed proportionately (spread over 5 meals) with 35 fat, and 135 protein to manage insulin. I try to never have more than 30grams of carbs in one sitting.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight watching only my calories at 2200, 1800 and of course 1500. My Dr. recently suggested I remain under 100 for weight loss. I have done that for a month. My numbers are still high. I have done Paleo for a couple of weeks, so I am eating no grains breads or sugars. My carbs are only from vegetables and fruits. I am feeling food but my blood sugar levels are still in the 200s. I go back today and see what the lab tests say. I think it is different for every diabetic. We just have to keep working at it.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my third baby I was borderline gestational and when I was in the hospital they put me on a diabetic diet, I wasn't eating more than 75 per day and in 2 days I lost 2 pounds. My blood sugar is normal again but I was trying to find info on a proper diabetic diet, I know this may sound crazy, but I want to do it. I felt so much better and it helped lose weight. And, diabetes runs in my family and if I can ward it off before it even has a chance to set in, I'm all for it. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 diabetic and have reduced my A1C numbers and stabilized my daily sugars (occasional issue, but still diet related) to around the 120's to 140's. Nutritionist suggested 45 "good" carbs at each main meal, and no more than 15 for each stack (3x a day) I work hard to try and stay at or near those numbers, but there are days.......
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I try to keep mine under 60 per day but sometimes I get crazy and eat around 120. I don't do that often though and most of the time there are a lot of veggies in that count if it's that high.
  • justdazed
    justdazed Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my NET carbs under 100g a day.

Question for everyone... what do you meals typically look like? I'm trying to figure out how people can keep their carbs so low (under 50g).
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Question for everyone... what do you meals typically look like? I'm trying to figure out how people can keep their carbs so low (under 50g).

My diary is open. I've eliminated grains and restrict fruits and legumes to 1/4-1/2 servings. High fat, moderate protein. Lots of leafy and cruciferous vegetables - no starchy vegetables. No sugary yogurt or milk - my dairy is in the form of cheese or plain Greek yogurt.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    justdazed --

In general, a normal days worth of food looks like (and this is today):

1. Morning: black coffee
    2. Lunch (77/21/8 fat/protein/net carb, 798 kcal)
    couple servings of pepperoni
    serving of cream cheese
    serving of macadamia nuts
    2 tbsp walnut butter
    3. When I get home from work, I'll probably have a 1/4 lb burger patty, slice of cheese, some mayo and low-sugar ketchup (about 400 or so kcal, 22/22/trace)
    4. For dinner, I'll have an avocado (375 kcal, 35/5/5), and maybe a quarter of a roasted chicken with skin on, or something similar. I might throw in a little spinach with cheese and butter if I'm feeling like it.

That's a normal day for me.

I don't diary every day, I just pop stuff in every once in awhile to make sure what my mind thinks is what I'm actually doing. :)
  • justdazed
    Options
    My diary is open. I've eliminated grains and restrict fruits and legumes to 1/4-1/2 servings. High fat, moderate protein. Lots of leafy and cruciferous vegetables - no starchy vegetables. No sugary yogurt or milk - my dairy is in the form of cheese or plain Greek yogurt.

Thank you! I've done the basics but I think I need to restrict my fruit and legume servings more.
  • pnuthaymama
    Options
    Since I'm trying to lose weight and stabilize my bg counts, I'm aiming for 20 carbs per day but am satisfied with anything under 50. I'm never hungry and sweets just are not tempting me anymore. I'm trying to get my A1c down below 6.0, which is the main reason I'm constricting carbs so much. I focus on meat and almost anything green. If it light in color, I don't eat it. Good luck. Friend me if you want. Lindy (pnuthaymama)
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    For a year I have kept my carbs to 5% or less to control diabetes. That has been under 20g of carbs a day. That means for a year I have not eaten any fruit. At the beginning I couldn't even eat tomato without it spiking my blood glucose. Eventually I was able to add tomato back into my diet. Now, after losing almost 100 pounds, I have been able to add a limited amount of berries to my diet without spiking my BG. A year ago my A1c was 8.6. My most recent A1c was 5.3.
  • justdazed
    Options
    justdazed --

In general, a normal days worth of food looks like (and this is today):

1. Morning: black coffee
    2. Lunch (77/21/8 fat/protein/net carb, 798 kcal)
    couple servings of pepperoni
    serving of cream cheese
    serving of macadamia nuts
    2 tbsp walnut butter
    3. When I get home from work, I'll probably have a 1/4 lb burger patty, slice of cheese, some mayo and low-sugar ketchup (about 400 or so kcal, 22/22/trace)
    4. For dinner, I'll have an avocado (375 kcal, 35/5/5), and maybe a quarter of a roasted chicken with skin on, or something similar. I might throw in a little spinach with cheese and butter if I'm feeling like it.

That's a normal day for me.

I don't diary every day, I just pop stuff in every once in awhile to make sure what my mind thinks is what I'm actually doing. :)

Thank you so much for this! My current lunch/dinner is usually some protein with veggies. I think what I need to do is be more conscious of my veggies and fruit.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my third baby I was borderline gestational and when I was in the hospital they put me on a diabetic diet, I wasn't eating more than 75 per day and in 2 days I lost 2 pounds. My blood sugar is normal again but I was trying to find info on a proper diabetic diet, I know this may sound crazy, but I want to do it. I felt so much better and it helped lose weight. And, diabetes runs in my family and if I can ward it off before it even has a chance to set in, I'm all for it. If anyone can help point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.

I highly, highly recommend bloodsugar101.com

There's no such thing as a proper diabetic diet. The ADA has recommendations but, in my opinion, their recommendations are crap and only lead to worsening diabetes and diabetic complications.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Typical day for me:

Breakfast:

2 cups baby spinach cooked down for an 2 egg omelet with cream and two ounces of full fat cheese. Usually have two strips of bacon with it.

Lunch: Burger or just some Greek yogurt, depending on how full I am from breakfast

Dinner: Usually chicken, beef, or fish if I'm not too hungry with two ounces of steamed carrots or some other leafy green vegetable.

My ideal carb count is 25g, but I was on 40g for a while.
  • amammaa4
    amammaa4 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It's crazy the different amount of carbs people with diabetes eat. My husband has been type 1 for 20 years and he gets:
    70 carbs at breakfast, 60 at lunch and dinner. If he has a really busy day at work he can have a snack with 20 grams, and then needs to adjust flexi pen for that. He wasnt following his diet for years and 4 months ago found a new Dr. he really likes and since following this he has lost 30 pounds doing nothing else.
  • sapphies
    sapphies Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how many carbs people aim to eat? I'm trying out a new regime with my diabetes but still wanting to lose weight. I'm averaging 200 a day the last couple of days since I started this plan but my sugar levels have stablised nicely.

I am diabetic ( I take oral meds) Since I started MFP at the end of Feb I try and stay under 200/day. I follow the rule of nothing white if possible. No white potato, rice, bread etc. I use Dreamfields pasta because there are only 5 net carbs. I eat brown rice, sweet potatoes and light wheat bread or levash bread, quinoa is also great. If I have a dessert craving only sugar free things. I don't worry about the natural sugars in fruits. For me it hasn't had a negative effect on my sugars. Since I have been doing this the last few months my sugars have become under control. My A1C was 8.6 it is now 5.7.
  • mrmagee3
    Options
    I am diabetic ( I take oral meds) Since I started MFP at the end of Feb I try and stay under 200/day. I follow the rule of nothing white if possible. No white potato, rice, bread etc. I use Dreamfields pasta because there are only 5 net carbs. I eat brown rice, sweet potatoes and light wheat bread or levash bread, quinoa is also great. If I have a dessert craving only sugar free things. I don't worry about the natural sugars in fruits. For me it hasn't had a negative effect on my sugars. Since I have been doing this the last few months my sugars have become under control. My A1C was 8.6 it is now 5.7.

One thing you might want to watch is how your blood glucose reacts to Dreamfield's. Their net carb count is a little dicey for some people -- my blood glucose responds to Dreamfields just like it does regular pasta, so I have to avoid it. Hopefully you're one of the lucky ones. :)