Tightness in Calf while exercising

Options
So the last few days I have experienced some tightness in my right calf while exercising ( walking for more than an hour specifically). It feels kind of like when you pull a hamstring but the pain does not subside. I have been stretching more than I have lately (Before I never stretched before workouts) It resides after the workout but I hate that feeling. Does anyone else have any idea what this is?

Replies

• MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kalle9
    kalle9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It most likely stems from a combination of your walking style and your lack of stretching before and after walking. Personally, for someone who has dealt with charlie horses in their calf muscles for years, potassium, plenty of water, and lots of stretching works best for me.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    Thanks alot.
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    In most cases, tightness in the calves is due to dehydration. Make sure you're well hydrated (preferably with water) in the hours leading up to a workout, and of course, during a workout (even if you're not thirsty). You may have to play around with determining how much to drink before and during, so you can find that right balance. And if that doesn't help, then let us know.

Hope this goes away for you! Good luck!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    Options
    In most cases, tightness in the calves is due to dehydration. Make sure you're well hydrated (preferably with water) in the hours leading up to a workout, and of course, during a workout (even if you're not thirsty). You may have to play around with determining how much to drink before and during, so you can find that right balance. And if that doesn't help, then let us know.

Hope this goes away for you! Good luck!

This definitely sounds like the culprit! I went from drinking 13-19 glasses of water a day to just 3 and nothing but juicy beverages. Im going to up my water intake again and hope for the best. Thanks alot!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    In addition to all that, I'd suggest getting "the stick" to give yourself a massage periodically through the day. Works wonders. https://www.thestick.com/
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    the stick

foam roller

last resort take a few days off
  • levicrouch
    levicrouch Posts: 99
    Options
    Also, try to warm up the muscles before stretching, Stretching a 'cold' muscle can cause injury.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I often experience tightness in my calves. I suppose it could be dehydration from sweating, but I drink plenty of water every day. It's not a cramp feeling. It's just a dull achy feeling, that no amount of flexing and stretching seems to help (just time). Like last night, I spent 2 hours chasing a roller derby pack. By 4am, I was awake trying to stretch out the tightness. I did sweat a ton, but I tried to chug all the water. It's just something I've always experienced after a workout, even with stretching. *shrug*
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    IN due to my experience with another body part referenced in a previous thread which due to being strikeworthy shall remain nameless. But yeah, it felt kind of like that too, but except, THERE.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I would up your potassium intake to prevent cramping and continue to stretch it out often.