Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I'd call Homeland security personally.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Tell him to **** off, your trying to workout..
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I am always direct, but I know that that makes some people uncomfortable. The question you have to ask yourself is how uncomfortable is his attention making you. Enough to say something directly? You don't really have to be rude but if he is being rude in your opinion AND making inappropriate comments, then direct and honest are really the only way to go. The next time he asks you a question or makes a comment you don't like, just tell him you don't like it. Subtle hints probably will not work on this guy.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options

Peoples advice is Headphones, ignoring, going to another gym and being passive aggressive? Come on ladies, really? I'm not saying start a fight, but be confident and direct and let him know you're not interested.

Women did not get as far as they have come by being passive aggressive wussies about situations like this. QFT!
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Forgot to quote?
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    ]
    You are making something out of nothing. There are creepo guys out there, deal with it, like every other women does. You said he's friendly, how do you know he doesn't say the same thing to other women?

I will really really love to hear these things he says that are crossing the line...

I don't think she is at all. Unless you have been on the receiving end of creepsters, you have no idea how it feels. I didn't have it happen at the gym but at a place I liked to go to a lot. One of the employees would sit down and start talking to me when I was there to do something else. He eventually asked me out and I said no, I have a boyfriend, (which was a lie) but then he still would try to talk to me. Finally, I just started being plain rude to him. One word answers etc. Made me feel totally uncomfortable and a complete *****, but dang, some guys just don't get the hint.

There are many "people" who don't get the hint. Women do the same stuff. There is possibly some guy who you thought was cool and you think he is a good friend, you start to talk to him and what not, later on to find out he thinks you're a creeper. We don't know what the intention the guy at the gym has. He might just be a friendly guy and says weird comments to everyone, not just her.

If she feels uncomfortable okay, i get that... Has every person in this topic been absolutely comfortable in every social situation? Obviously not. It's just how society is, as people we cope and deal with these situations. One question, why is this lady uncomfortable? I am sure there are many women out there who would love the attention. I was in a similar situation with a women who kind of freaked out one time. It was weird...

This girl, i known her from a mutual friend, we met a few times. We started to talk online. She came over a few times i fixed her computer. We where talking online one time, i was hungry, i said "you want to go and eat lunch?"(i was hungry). She said, "It sounds like you're trying to date me." I told her NO I am not, i explained to her how she isn't my type. I am very picky with women. She was totally misreading the situation. I think the OP is doing the same thing.

It's not like he's standing behind her with his pants unzipped, having a jolly good time as she works out... Now that would be a problem.

The difference here is this man is in a position of authority. His behavior is not professional. He is not spotting her, which would be fine, he is staring at her! He has a job to do and it is not to stand there ogling. IMAO
  • EPITCH
    EPITCH Posts: 10
    Options
    Just a suggestion, but how about being honest with him and tell him that you are not interested in any more than just being friends with him and that you are feeling a bit uncomfortable with the questions he is asking. Just a thought.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    There is this girl I have seen on a regular basis on my runs I have thought of just introducing myself (I am happily very happily married just seeing the same person every day be nice to know there names) and yes I have done this with a guy ive seen on a regular basis also but I could definently tell I was making her uncomfortable it was in the air, I never said anything so now when I see her I just keep my eyes focused on my run and just pass by her. I dont need anyone thinking im a creeper stalker (might be too late for her) but I have been friendly to other ppl I see on the trail on a regular basis (Smile and wave). Thats it.

My point being by not even saying a word to her just by making eye contact with her on my runs outside I knew I was making her feel uncomfortable so Im doing things differently. IF he has half a brain he knows exactly what he is doing. If not then maybe hes just a dork.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    There is this girl I have seen on a regular basis on my runs I have thought of just introducing myself (I am happily very happily married just seeing the same person every day be nice to know there names) and yes I have done this with a guy ive seen on a regular basis also but I could definently tell I was making her uncomfortable it was in the air, I never said anything so now when I see her I just keep my eyes focused on my run and just pass by her. I dont need anyone thinking im a creeper stalker (might be too late for her) but I have been friendly to other ppl I see on the trail on a regular basis (Smile and wave). Thats it.

My point being by not even saying a word to her just by making eye contact with her on my runs outside I knew I was making her feel uncomfortable so Im doing things differently. IF he has half a brain he knows exactly what he is doing. If not then maybe hes just a dork.

If running or hiking, I'll say hi to everyone. Everyone usually says hi back.

If at the gym, I'll say hi to a female if I've seen her in the free weights area. If she looks like she doesn't want to say hi back, well I'll never say one word to her again unless she approaches me. Like you said, don't need that creeper label
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    you pay a membership fee for the use of the gym and it`s equipment.nowhere in a contract does it say that you have to be bothered by someone else.If it keeps up let him know directly how you feel about his behaviour and ask him to refrain form it.If he persists just let him know this could be interpreted as stalking or harassment which there are laws to protect from this.Maybe at this point he`ll get the message.Good luck
  • Morninglory81
    Options
    ]
    You are making something out of nothing. There are creepo guys out there, deal with it, like every other women does. You said he's friendly, how do you know he doesn't say the same thing to other women?

I will really really love to hear these things he says that are crossing the line...

I don't think she is at all. Unless you have been on the receiving end of creepsters, you have no idea how it feels. I didn't have it happen at the gym but at a place I liked to go to a lot. One of the employees would sit down and start talking to me when I was there to do something else. He eventually asked me out and I said no, I have a boyfriend, (which was a lie) but then he still would try to talk to me. Finally, I just started being plain rude to him. One word answers etc. Made me feel totally uncomfortable and a complete *****, but dang, some guys just don't get the hint.

There are many "people" who don't get the hint. Women do the same stuff. There is possibly some guy who you thought was cool and you think he is a good friend, you start to talk to him and what not, later on to find out he thinks you're a creeper. We don't know what the intention the guy at the gym has. He might just be a friendly guy and says weird comments to everyone, not just her.

If she feels uncomfortable okay, i get that... Has every person in this topic been absolutely comfortable in every social situation? Obviously not. It's just how society is, as people we cope and deal with these situations. One question, why is this lady uncomfortable? I am sure there are many women out there who would love the attention. I was in a similar situation with a women who kind of freaked out one time. It was weird...

This girl, i known her from a mutual friend, we met a few times. We started to talk online. She came over a few times i fixed her computer. We where talking online one time, i was hungry, i said "you want to go and eat lunch?"(i was hungry). She said, "It sounds like you're trying to date me." I told her NO I am not, i explained to her how she isn't my type. I am very picky with women. She was totally misreading the situation. I think the OP is doing the same thing.

It's not like he's standing behind her with his pants unzipped, having a jolly good time as she works out... Now that would be a problem.

The difference here is this man is in a position of authority. His behavior is not professional. He is not spotting her, which would be fine, he is staring at her! He has a job to do and it is not to stand there ogling. IMAO

The position of authority might be relevant. That can lead in to a whole entire discussion of social psychology, I don't even want to get in to that.

What I will say on topic though is... If she was "really" working out, she wouldn't notice him, I can tell you that. 2nd.. I remember this really really pretty girl who kept on looking at me. For thought is, "she's checking me out." My second thought, "don't jump to conclusions, she might think you look hell of weird and she can't stop staring."

There are many many reasons people look, I was looking at this guy at the gym yesterday, I kept on staring ta him. Not cause i am gay(cause i am not) but because he looked very familiar. I think she's over reacting(THE OP).

Proximity and the added inappropriate comments as well as it not being only once makes this so very different from your experience. She is paying to work out not to have to deal with an over enthusiastic gym manager.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you really dont want his attention, tell the jerk to back off or you will report him to his superiors for harassment.
  • Argentino
    Argentino Posts: 52
    Options
    I also need advice in this area.

I work at the local gym in my area. There's this girl that started coming, and I started being friendly to her- no more than I would any one else in my gym. (I have a GF.) I started noticing her noticing me. Looking to see where I was. I would smile at her.. she would look away- playing hard to get, I guess. It seems like every time I am working there, she notices me. I feel bad that shes so desperate for my attention. Sometimes when I'm looking at someone behind her or just spaced out- I see her awkwardly smile at me. I'm really getting the creeps. She even takes her ear phones out of her ear when I walk by, so then I feel like I have to talk to her.

Please help.. I'm just trying to do my job!
  • maarbo
    maarbo Posts: 22
    Options
    You are NOT making something out of nothing. Tell him that you'll report him to the management if he doesn't leave you alone. DO NOT tell him he makes you nervous!!! If he doesn't stop, report him. If he's the management, drop your membership, start going to another gym, and report it to the owners and/or the local police.

Good Luck. :smile:

Before threatening to report him or calling the police (lols) can I suggest maybe asking him to give you some space?

I admit my recommendation was probably over the top, but it's very evident ignoring and the cold shoulder isn't working AND he is in a position of authority there. So 1st tell him you're not interested and to leave you alone; if that doesn't work you need to report him to his boss (which may be the owners) and tell them if they don't do something ASAP that you'll drop your membership and let everyone know they condone someone harrasing their customers. Even if he doesn't realize it, that is exactly what he is doing. And yes, I have been in management and have seen this exact type of situation and it is considered harrasement.
    Regards
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'd wear headphones or write an anonymous complaint. I've found whenever gym employees talk to me too much they just want me to hire them as a trainer and once they ask and I tell them I'm not interested they leave me alone, but if he hasn't even broached that with you then he might be just a creep.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    Options

I work at the local gym in my area. There's this girl that started coming, and I started being friendly to her- no more than I would any one else in my gym. (I have a GF.) I started noticing her noticing me. Looking to see where I was. I would smile at her.. she would look away- playing hard to get, I guess. It seems like every time I am working there, she notices me. I feel bad that shes so desperate for my attention. Sometimes when I'm looking at someone behind her or just spaced out- I see her awkwardly smile at me. I'm really getting the creeps. She even takes her ear phones out of her ear when I walk by, so then I feel like I have to talk to her.

Bahahaha!
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the inappropriateness of his comments, but this behavior goes beyond just being friendly.
    As other people mentioned, headphones in and just smile, wave, walk on by.
    If he wants to talk, tell him you have limited time and want to focus on your workout.
    I never underestimate how obtuse people (especially guys) can be, so he may STILL bother you.
    If so, it is time to be blunt with him or talk to his superior.

Good luck!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Bahahaha!

tumblr_ly6yiyMeKo1qgd2nco1_400.gif
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)
    I have tried the headphone thing but he just stands there grinning at me until I take them out.
    I would love to say 'back off' but I don't want to be rude. I think I'm too nice for my own good, but obviously I need to do something as I don't want this to keep happening.
    Will keep trying to ignore him and if the comments do get worse then I will talk to his manager.
    I am back at the gym tomorrow so wish me luck....
    Why does it seem reasonable for you to be unconfortable at the gym? Why are you protecting this guy from (possibly) having his feelings hurt by you if you simply say "Sorry, but I am not here to socialize, and I need to focus on my workout, I need some space" ?

When you can't tell the truth about how you feel (at a commerical establishment that you are paying to use) -- because you are afraid of being seen as 'rude" -- then there is something wrong.

What is stopping you is that your discomfort for standing up for yourself is much greater than the level of discomfort this creeper is causing you. Don't do that, don't reduce your feelings as being less important that this stranger's - not too mention how can you expect him to change his behavior when you've never directly told him it bothers you? He obviously doesn't get the 'hints' - or he is ignoring them under the pretense of not understanding. So make him understand, be plain spoken. It's not rude, its just truthful.
  • Geojerm
    Geojerm Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Put in ear buds and listen to music. Or just straight up tell him to fu(k off.

LOL this & be honest, but without being hurtful... he's a grown man.. he'll deal.

and/or bring a friend next time, and totally ignore this dude (and the guy who said you're overreacting)