I can not eat that much!!

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I think the perception of diet needs to be addressed here. When we monitor calories, especially people who are new to it - we tend to go for the "healthier" options - it's natural. The thought of eating the type of food we did before either fills us with dread or makes us envious of those who can without consequences (that we can see, anyway). We buy a bunch of low-fat, low-cal, low-carb, LOWWHATEVER food because we want to tackle this head on.

Here is the myth busted - you don't actually need to fork out a crap load for those diet products and in fact, all you need to do is just moderate what you eat. You don't HAVE to eat all your calories back if you exercise, but it's recommended that you at least eat SOME of them, because MFP works at a deficit anyway. So, you can stop torturing yourself over not being able to have ice cream, a burger, some fries etc. Because you CAN, and you should - if you like those things, and you have no allergies or medical reason not to eat them.

We buy these diet products because we are convinced they are the right choice - they rarely are, and also to get to the calorie intake we need, we have to eat more = buying more = more money for the company. Obviously there ARE exceptions to the rule, as with everything. I would suggest ditching whatever products you've replaced in order to lose weight/get fit and focus on healthy but calorie dense foods - nuts, avocado, cheese, eggs - a good mix of proteins, fats and carbohydrates. Please also be aware that MFP establishes the macro's (sugar, carb, protein) as per a basic measurement and you can alter them, so unless you know specifically what you need or want to eat in macronutrients, don't worry too much - providing you are not going way over on one and way under on another.

Excellent post.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Cheese. The answer is always cheese. :flowerforyou:

This. So much this! Fat, dairy, protein, carbs, its got all the goodies AND it tastes frickin delicious!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I can dig it. Back when I was doing boxing I was burning 2,000+ calories and it was very rough to eat them back. The best solution to eat LITTLE bit of fast food or other dense calories. Like nut butter or full fat dairy etc. The calories fill up pretty fast when you're not tryign to only eat "clean". Eat clean too but don't just try to live off of salads either. Mix a bit of junk food to keep your belly and your mind happy and you will likely stay on the path much longer (like me) if you kept your mind and body happy with LITTLE bit of junk food daily :)

For very high burns like that I can see it becoming an issue. But with 30 day Shred she should only be burning a few hundred or so extra per day. That is a fairly light snack.

That would probably be true if she were just doing the 30DS, but she says she is also walking/jogging. I know I burn 400+ on my lunch hour walking. I don't know what my burn would be if I were doing the 30DS, but it could add up quickly. I, however, have no problem eating enough calories, though.
  • arains89
    arains89 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

^^^ This
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    FERKEN CHEESE - it's probably the only craving I have. GET IN MY BELLY. :happy: :huh:
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I drink Dark Chocolate Almond Milk. It is super yummy and helps me replinish the calories I burned off during workout. I also spread peanut butter on an apple or banana sometimes. Yummmmmmmmmmy

I don't have Dark Chocolate Almond Milk here :sad:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I can dig it. Back when I was doing boxing I was burning 2,000+ calories and it was very rough to eat them back. The best solution to eat LITTLE bit of fast food or other dense calories. Like nut butter or full fat dairy etc. The calories fill up pretty fast when you're not tryign to only eat "clean". Eat clean too but don't just try to live off of salads either. Mix a bit of junk food to keep your belly and your mind happy and you will likely stay on the path much longer (like me) if you kept your mind and body happy with LITTLE bit of junk food daily :)

For very high burns like that I can see it becoming an issue. But with 30 day Shred she should only be burning a few hundred or so extra per day. That is a fairly light snack.

That would probably be true if she were just doing the 30DS, but she says she is also walking/jogging. I know I burn 400+ on my lunch hour walking. I don't know what my burn would be if I were doing the 30DS, but it could add up quickly. I, however, have no problem eating enough calories, though.
    How fast are you walking? I burn roughly 350cal during an houra walk and I am over 300lbs.
  • jakesfitness
    jakesfitness Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    dont eat the calories that you burn during your workout... at the end of the day, mark your workout once you know how you did with your calories.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

How fast are you walking? I burn roughly 350cal during an houra walk and I am over 300lbs.

I think people VASTLY overestimate their calorie burn much of the time.

A good reliable HRM will help with that. So will some common sense.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Options
    Smoke some of the Devil's Lettuce. That'll fix ya.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Dont eat them all back. If fat loss is your goal. You only eat everything back if you are trying to gain muscle only. This is something to do once you have reached goal weight. Work out to keep that lean muscle on.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options

To play devil's advocate, I can burn 350 calories easily in an hours walk if I'm walking quick enough - and I use a good brand HRM. (I'm 5ft 6in and 220lbs). It all depends on where, when and how fast.

However, if you are going by MFP values alone, it's normally overestimated massively.
  • autumnpath
    autumnpath Posts: 72 Member
    Options

THIS. I love love love cheese.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    my suggestion would be to look up your TDEE and find your amount of calories this way. With TDEE - 20% it factors in your exercise so you don't have to eat large amounts to make up for exercising.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Are you sure of the number of calories your burning? 30DS was way more toning that it was calorie burn for me.
  • seblagg
    seblagg Posts: 42
    Options
    Are you sure of the number of calories your burning? 30DS was way more toning that it was calorie burn for me.

^This. Are you sure you haven't overestimated the amount of calories you've burned?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Be very sure/conservative regarding your calorie burn.

Eat pizza as necessary.
  • rebelate
    rebelate Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Smoke some of the Devil's Lettuce. That'll fix ya.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to up your calories is sawp out some of the diet or light foods for their higher-calorie versions. Real condiments, real salad dressing, real cheese, higher % milk, whole grain bread. You could add some healthy fats like but butters, whole nuts, avocado, or olive oil. You could also increase your servings of protein or add a protein shake after your workout. High calorie doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy, if you're going for nutritionally dense things like this. It's great fuel for those workouts.
  • arisaurus
    arisaurus Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to up your calories is sawp out some of the diet or light foods for their higher-calorie versions. Real condiments, real salad dressing, real cheese, higher % milk, whole grain bread. You could add some healthy fats like but butters, whole nuts, avocado, or olive oil. You could also increase your servings of protein or add a protein shake after your workout. High calorie doesn't necessarily mean unhealthy, if you're going for nutritionally dense things like this. It's great fuel for those workouts.

lol you said 'but butters'

ew.