Do you count carrying babies all day as calories burned?

Options
I have my activity level set at sedentary and eat at my TDEE based on that, figuring that daily activities + exercise create quite a deficit. What I didn't think about until recently is how active my life actually is - constantly holding, carrying a baby and toddler, chasing the toddler around, lifting the huge stroller and car seat in and out of car, and of course bouncing baby to sleep multiple times a day. I am basically only sitting down at night when they are sleeping, or when I'm giving a bottle or driving. That has to add up to a lot of calories burnt right? Would you set your activity level to lightly active instead?

Replies

• MrsAvent79
    MrsAvent79 Posts: 18
    Options
    Have you thought about getting something like a bodymedia that would tell you exactly how many calories you have burnt each day rather than guessing? It's really worked for me. message me if you want to know more about it :)

But for me I would go sedentary because I would rather underestimate my calories burnt and overestimate how much I have eaten... but that's just me :)

good luck with your journey :)
  • alphachupapi
    alphachupapi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For bonus points, don't count the baby carrying activity.
  • Retrieverlove
    Options
    Yes, lightly active. I am a mother of four and I was amazingly busy and using my muscles and walking quickly because I was always late quite a bit. You are doing a lot more than you realize for you and for them. :)
  • missshyeviolett
    missshyeviolett Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    You're probably more like "lighly active". I'd get a fitbit or something so that you can really tell.
  • misscharleygirl
    misscharleygirl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a 5yo and a 7 week old and chose sedentary. Though I feel like I am constantly on the go, I don't know that I'd consider it strenuous.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd change it to lightly active. Those babies sure do work your arm muscles :smile:
  • pinkly14fun2
    Options
    I only count things I do that are not part of my daily routine.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it as exercise but you probably should adjust your activity factor to reflect that. You're not sedentary if you're on your feet carrying little kids around for a significant part of the day. Depending on how much of the day you spend doing that as opposed to sitting down you'd be lightly or moderately active.

I think the suggestion to get one of those devices that measures your calorie burn through the day is a good one.
  • beelanc
    beelanc Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I agree with this. ^^
  • FineFitFatty
    Options

That's exactly why I kept it at sedentary. Thanks ladies! And I will look into the fitbit.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

That's exactly why I kept it at sedentary. Thanks ladies! And I will look into the fitbit.

Well, no. You do that everyday, so it IS part of your daily routine. You're not sedentary. Lightly active would be more appropriate.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Setting your activity level at sedentary, when its not, is silly. Attempting to micromanage your daily calorie burn is silly. Nobody gives a flying duck how many calories you burn so why not just be realistic and put yourself as "active". I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you will set is as sedentary and it will tell you to eat very little, then you will calculate your burn and choose not to eat it back. You're just going out of your way to set yourself up for failure. Good luck.
  • J3nnyV
    J3nnyV Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My opinion is a bit different...I was sedentary when I worked full time in an office. I have mine set to moderately active now that I'm a busy mom of a two year old and a six month old (I wear him for hours every day). I still count exercise points on top of all that if I take the kids out for a long walk and am wearing/pushing them.
  • FineFitFatty
    Options
    Setting your activity level at sedentary, when its not, is silly. Attempting to micromanage your daily calorie burn is silly. Nobody gives a flying duck how many calories you burn so why not just be realistic and put yourself as "active". I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you will set is as sedentary and it will tell you to eat very little, then you will calculate your burn and choose not to eat it back. You're just going out of your way to set yourself up for failure. Good luck.

Holy aggressive. I set it at sedentary and eat at my TDEE, which is 1750, so I'm not eating very little. That's why I asked this question, because I don't want to inhibit myself by NOT having enough fuel to function during my day and my workouts. And also, I do not eat back my burn. I lift three times a week and do about a mile of HITT running/sprints afterwards, so I'm not burning, like, 1000's of calories during my workouts. Thanks for your kind insight, though.
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Options

Well you're my friend FFF so I know you're sincere in your question. I would set the activity level to lightly active for a few weeks, then up to active. It's hard (in my opinion) to make a drastic jump in calorie intake so going little by little will be easier for you.

If you don't eat enough you'll run yourself into the ground. Activity level and exercise are two different things. Choose lightly active and doing log your day to day running around as exercise. When you do something above and beyond chasing the kids, walking the dogs, or cleaning the house, THEN log that as exercise.
  • FineFitFatty
    Options
    My opinion is a bit different...I was sedentary when I worked full time in an office. I have mine set to moderately active now that I'm a busy mom of a two year old and a six month old (I wear him for hours every day). I still count exercise points on top of all that if I take the kids out for a long walk and am wearing/pushing them.

This sounds exactly like my life (I wear my 4 month old a lot too). Do you have workouts on top of your daily dealings and walks or do you just count your lifestyle without workouts as moderately active?
  • FineFitFatty
    Options

Well you're my friend FFF so I know you're sincere in your question. I would set the activity level to lightly active for a few weeks, then up to active. It's hard (in my opinion) to make a drastic jump in calorie intake so going little by little will be easier for you.

If you don't eat enough you'll run yourself into the ground. Activity level and exercise are two different things. Choose lightly active and doing log your day to day running around as exercise. When you do something above and beyond chasing the kids, walking the dogs, or cleaning the house, THEN log that as exercise.
  • astronomicals
    Options
    I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you will set is as sedentary and it will tell you to eat very little, then you will calculate your burn and choose not to eat it back. You're just going out of your way to set yourself up for failure.

I set it at sedentary and eat at my TDEE, which is 1750, so I'm not eating very little. And also, I do not eat back my burn.

Okay... I've "highlighted" the pertinent information... Go ahead and be offended. I'm not going to sugar coat it. You're doing exactly what I was afraid of. I really like the sound of your exercise program, but, it doesnt sound like your diet is configured correctly.

ETA: Thats not your TDEE because you didnt calculate your TDEE properly. You're eating below your TDEE and not eating back calories burned (which are part of your floating TDEE)

ETA2: You should be able to lose 2-3 pounds a week while eating at ~TDEE-20%. Doing much more is just crash dieting and will result in plenty of lean mass lost. Considering you;re doing a nice strength training program, thats obviously not your goal. I can guarantee you will stall your lifts, and most likely lose strength, if you continue at such a deficit.
  • FineFitFatty
    Options
    I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that you will set is as sedentary and it will tell you to eat very little, then you will calculate your burn and choose not to eat it back. You're just going out of your way to set yourself up for failure.

I set it at sedentary and eat at my TDEE, which is 1750, so I'm not eating very little. And also, I do not eat back my burn.

Okay... I've "highlighted" the pertinent information... Go ahead and be offended. I'm not going to sugar coat it. You're doing exactly what I was afraid of. I really like the sound of your exercise program, but, it doesnt sound like your diet is configured correctly.

ETA: Thats not your TDEE because you didnt calculate your TDEE properly. You're eating below your TDEE and not eating back calories burned.

Well, that's why I'm trying to get it configured correctly. I want to eat below my TDEE to lose fat, correct? Because I only workout three times a week, I incorporate that into my deficit. At moderately active, my TDEE is 2250... say that is the case, my deficit is only a daily average of 500 cals. That's a pound a week.

I'm not new to a healthy lifestyle, I played soccer competitively through college and have ran most of my life. I'm simply trying to ensure that I have enough ENERGY to keep up with my family while still losing weight. You sound like you're slightly new to this, though. :)
  • astronomicals
    Options

I want to eat below my TDEE to lose fat, correct? \

Yes, eat below your TDEE to lose weight.
    Because I only workout three times a week, I incorporate that into my deficit. At moderately active, my TDEE is 2250... say that is the case, my deficit is only a daily average of 500 cals. That's a pound a week.

Thats not how weight loss works. You don't eat 3500 deficit and lose a pound or 7000 deficit and lose 2 pounds. Its not that simple and shouldn't be calculated in such a manner. If it did function like that than you wouldnt have 300 pound individuals eating at a ~600 calorie deficit and losing 3 pounds a week.
    Beyond that your math is just off. You're TDEE isnt 1750 cuz you're not sedentary. It means Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

Rather than argue I'll just make a suggestion and be done with this. Eat at 2250 for 2 weeks and eat back your exercise calories on workout days. If you dont see weight loss than drop 50 calories a week until its coming off at a healthy satisfying rate. All this time continue to at back your exercise calories. Its that simple.

If your ultimate plan is to crash diet for the summer than go ahead. I cant stop you and you wont be alone. In that case I'd suggest the ultimate handbook to rapid fatloss, but, it can most definitely have its ugly repercussions.