How many times do you eat every day?

Options
Just wondering what other people have found to work for them in regards to the number of times you eat in a day. I have low blood sugar issues from time to time (not diabetic, but might be borderline hypoglycemic), where I feel faint/lightheaded, shaky and a little nauseous so today I switched from eating 4x/day to 6x/day to see how that works. Basically making my lunch and dinner a little smaller and adding 2 more snacks (was previously eating 1 snack in the afternoon). Any other suggestions for combating the low blood sugar spells would be appreciated :)

Replies

• Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    One meal on a rest day,two on a workout day
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was eating 6 times a day and then switched to intermittent fasting because I love eating copious amounts of food in one sitting and I enjoyed it for that reason, but I found that I sort of became Mean Mommy during my fasting times even though I wasn't feeling particularly hungry. So I switched back to 5-6 meals a day. It helps me to remember to feed my baby more often and I think I am much more fun and eager to play when I am eating more often. Plus my lifts went up immediately.

ETA: By IF I mean Leangains.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I was eating 6 times a day and then switched to intermittent fasting because I love eating copious amounts of food in one sitting and I enjoyed it for that reason, but I found that I sort of became Mean Mommy during my fasting times even though I wasn't feeling particularly hungry. So I switched back to 5-6 meals a day. It helps me to remember to feed my baby more often and I think I am much more fun and eager to play when I am eating more often. Plus my lifts went up immediately.

I love that you need reminding to feed your baby.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    6x for me. I have low BP which is exacerbated by low sugar. I keep an emergency snack with me, just in case, like a protein bar or almonds.

Don't forget to feed your baby:)
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

I love that you need reminding to feed your baby.

lol I was thinking the same thing. That's a bad thing to forget!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    1. breakfast
    2. lunch
    3. aftrenoon snack
    4. dinner
    5. night snack
  • lurcstet
    lurcstet Posts: 77
    Options
    I aim for every 3 hours... Little and often
  • Lizabelle1212
    Options
    1. breakfast
    2. lunch
    3. aftrenoon snack
    4. dinner
    5. night snack

Thanks! - That's similar to what I'm trying, except I'm adding a mid-morning snack, as well. I eat breakfast at about 7:30, and don't have lunch til 12:30-1, so I'm trying to add a snack at about 10:30.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    breakfast
    snack
    lunch
    snack
    snack
    supper
    snack
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    small meals every 2 hours. i set a timer on my ipod. and no more after 7
  • cjrichardsnyc
    Options
    Hi there!

I actually just wrote an article on my blog about sugar cravings, eating regularly etc. Give it a look and let me know in the comment section below the article if it helps at all. Here's the address: http://thinkwritenutrition.blogspot.com

I hope that you can get your blood sugar levels under control and I am sure you will with practice. Keep experimenting til you find what works for you!!

All the best,
    CJ
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Twice: once at 2pm, again at about 8-10pm. Fits my schedule and allows me to eat larger meals.
  • lrobrn
    lrobrn Posts: 17
    Options
    I eat every 2-3 hours with larger meal every day. I find it helps me stay satisfied and keeps me from cheating. To keep from having low blood sugar issues make sure you keep protein and complex carbs in your diet.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I try to mostly stick to Intermittent Fasting, either 14:10 or 16:8, and generally have a snack, and then two large meals, first being around 8-9pm and the second being around 1-2am, right before bed. I like to have big meals most of the time, with lots of variety, and if I do not do things this way, I tend to end up eating a lot more junk since I tend to be out and about in the daytime, and not at home to eat. I also dropped my bodyfat quite nicely eating this way.
  • ladydy911
    ladydy911 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am severe Hypoglycemic. I eat 6 small meals a day. Since I started doing this, I am loosing better and have no more ucky spells. Be careful with your sugar, hypoglycemia can turn to diabeties REALLY FAST!!!

and forgetting to feed your baby? no comment.
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have 6 meals per day.

breakfast
    am snack
    lunch
    pm snack
    dinner
    night snack

Each "meal" consists of a protein, veg, and a starch and the snacks are usually fruit, veggies, protein but no starches. My breakfast is a protein shake 5 days of the week and the two days I am off I will make omelets usually
  • Lizabelle1212
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone!
  • Lizabelle1212
    Options
    I have 6 meals per day.

breakfast
    am snack
    lunch
    pm snack
    dinner
    night snack

Each "meal" consists of a protein, veg, and a starch and the snacks are usually fruit, veggies, protein but no starches. My breakfast is a protein shake 5 days of the week and the two days I am off I will make omelets usually

That's the exact schedule I'm trying, but probably need to pay closer attention to the content of each meal/snack.
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I get up really early so if I don't get a couple of times in the morning I'm dying by lunch

5am : breakfast snack
    9am: real breakfast
    Noon: lunch
    3:30pm: afternoon snack
    7-ish: dinner
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like it. Never really keep track.