The Fast Metabolism Diet

Options
1235»

Replies

• fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    I think Katie (a few posts above this) nailed it on the head. It may be that simple, but in practice there are many more complexities. To the original poster of the thread, I would just note that while you ask about the metabolism diet, that many people are trying to support you in how they strongly feel it is not worth your time. It's like someone asking should I walk across a busy highway, or is a light jog sufficient? They won't answer your question, and will try to convince you of something else being more important. Not saying you have to listen, or that they're right per se, but that there is support coming in.

I buy in strongly with the calories in/calories out affecting weight due to diet, but more importantly, (and I think the metabolism diet is still possibly important) because there are many other things that affect how I FEEL than calories in/out. Ultimately I find those feelings more important. Eating an apple is ~80 calories, but makes me feel very full, satisfied for much longer than a small cookie of the same energy content. I think the diet (metabolism, 28 day thing) may be good for some people, but in my experience, I see folks who profess such diets don't always know WHY they work, so you might consider letting go of the why the author says it's working ('caffeine overworking the adrenal glands...for instance, my wife is a doctor, and as she'll say, such statements just are a bunch of bull$@# to sum it up nicely); just do it if it works, and skip it if it doesn't.

Also, having watched many folks who profess to 'not be able to gain weight', I never see such folks chowing down on cookies, eating all you can eat chinese food, etc. They may not want to do these things which is another matter, but the 'not able to gain weight' is more a by product of their choices, not something concrete about their metabolism.

Anyways, hope you find this supportive, albeit in a somewhat challenging way. I trust you'll be able to figure out something that works for you. Good luck!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    i didnt post this to argue with anyone...but the author is a nutrishionist so....

Nutritionist...
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I read through this whole thread, and what I got from it is: You are looking to find different ideas that will help you tweak and make changes that unique and work for you (and really, the money part is irrelevant!) I agree with the comment that if you're looking for an idea of scheduling, it works. If you're looking for new recipes, it works. If you're looking to find that magic bullet that will make you suddenly healthy, skinny, and happy - - well, I don't think that's anywhere (sadly!)

BUT my opinion is that you can officially ignore the guy who keeps chiming in saying that it's simply calories in vs calories out. He has never had a hormone surge and has no idea what differences women go through trying to become healthy.

My two cents - - give it a whirl. It doesn't seem any worse than any of the other methods out there. Keep in mind why you're on this journey - is it just to be "skinny" (short term at best) or is it to be "healthy" (long term - this lifestyle change of which they speak).

What are you wiling to do to attain that final goal? I'm looking forward to hearing what your final outcome is with this tweak. :bigsmile:

so calories somehow distinguish between a male and a female? Explain to me how a calorie "knows" if eat is being consumed by a male or a female?

look, if you eat too much you gain weight, eat less you lose weight...problem solved..24.99 saved...

I do know that I have gone on diets with my husband, worked out more, and he lost more weight. A calorie may not be able to distinguish between male and female, but a female body metabolizes calories differently than a man's body. Period. I found this thread because I am thinking of buying the book. I've been doing MFP for a few years. I work out 3-5X a week, with a variety of cardio and weight training, and eat very healthy (always have) and fall within my caloric goals. MFP says I should be losing. I've been stuck at the same weight for about six months now and am very frustrated.

My son, 25, has the opposite problem. He cannot gain weight no matter what he eats. Your "if you eat too much you gain weight, eat less you lose weight" is very unhelpful and is way too simplistic. It just doesn't work that way all the time. In theory, yes. In real life, definitely not.

You seem to have a big misunderstanding about calories work.

calories are not metabolized. macronutrients are. PERIOD

women have a much small caloric window then men. So a miscalculation can be much more forgiving on a man.

your son is not eating as much as he thinks he does.

have him drink milk shakes 5x a day with ice cream over 2 weeks and tell me he doesnt gain weight

You are very rude. No, I know completely how calories work. A calorie is a unit for measuring energy. I know a calorie is not metabolized. I completely understand that a woman has a smaller caloric need than does a larger man.

My son, who is now 25, has had problems gaining weight since he was 3. He has been to doctors and has been on special diets and still does not gain weight. At 25, he eats well over 3000 calories a day. He is 5'10 and weighs about 120# soaking wet. He may not eat ice cream and drink milk sakes 5X a day, but they are included in his diet almost daily.

The original poster was asking for help and support and information from people who have tried the FMD before. If you haven't read the book, have no first-hand knowledge of what she asked for (or of my life and my family and our weight issues), you need to keep your opinions to yourself.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Is this the diet where you increase muscle % to body weight, thus minutely increasing your BMR. Because that's the only way I'm aware of where you can increase your metabolism without the aid of dangerous side effect drugs.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Want to increase your metabolism? Lift heavy weights!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I read through this whole thread, and what I got from it is: You are looking to find different ideas that will help you tweak and make changes that unique and work for you (and really, the money part is irrelevant!) I agree with the comment that if you're looking for an idea of scheduling, it works. If you're looking for new recipes, it works. If you're looking to find that magic bullet that will make you suddenly healthy, skinny, and happy - - well, I don't think that's anywhere (sadly!)

BUT my opinion is that you can officially ignore the guy who keeps chiming in saying that it's simply calories in vs calories out. He has never had a hormone surge and has no idea what differences women go through trying to become healthy.

My two cents - - give it a whirl. It doesn't seem any worse than any of the other methods out there. Keep in mind why you're on this journey - is it just to be "skinny" (short term at best) or is it to be "healthy" (long term - this lifestyle change of which they speak).

What are you wiling to do to attain that final goal? I'm looking forward to hearing what your final outcome is with this tweak. :bigsmile:

so calories somehow distinguish between a male and a female? Explain to me how a calorie "knows" if eat is being consumed by a male or a female?

look, if you eat too much you gain weight, eat less you lose weight...problem solved..24.99 saved...

I do know that I have gone on diets with my husband, worked out more, and he lost more weight. A calorie may not be able to distinguish between male and female, but a female body metabolizes calories differently than a man's body. Period. I found this thread because I am thinking of buying the book. I've been doing MFP for a few years. I work out 3-5X a week, with a variety of cardio and weight training, and eat very healthy (always have) and fall within my caloric goals. MFP says I should be losing. I've been stuck at the same weight for about six months now and am very frustrated.

My son, 25, has the opposite problem. He cannot gain weight no matter what he eats. Your "if you eat too much you gain weight, eat less you lose weight" is very unhelpful and is way too simplistic. It just doesn't work that way all the time. In theory, yes. In real life, definitely not.

You seem to have a big misunderstanding about calories work.

calories are not metabolized. macronutrients are. PERIOD

women have a much small caloric window then men. So a miscalculation can be much more forgiving on a man.

your son is not eating as much as he thinks he does.

have him drink milk shakes 5x a day with ice cream over 2 weeks and tell me he doesnt gain weight

You are very rude. No, I know completely how calories work. A calorie is a unit for measuring energy. I know a calorie is not metabolized. I completely understand that a woman has a smaller caloric need than does a larger man.

My son, who is now 25, has had problems gaining weight since he was 3. He has been to doctors and has been on special diets and still does not gain weight. At 25, he eats well over 3000 calories a day. He is 5'10 and weighs about 120# soaking wet. He may not eat ice cream and drink milk sakes 5X a day, but they are included in his diet almost daily.

The original poster was asking for help and support and information from people who have tried the FMD before. If you haven't read the book, have no first-hand knowledge of what she asked for (or of my life and my family and our weight issues), you need to keep your opinions to yourself.
    I am not rude. I am just tired of you spitting out wrong information.
    You were the one who said women metabolize calories different then men so you obviously have no idea of what you are talking about.
    then your son has hyperthyroidism because his metabolism is messed up beyond the normal person.

I dont need to read the book to know that it is garbage. people want to alter their thyroid function?

Even if it did increase the function, do they know what negative effects it has on the body?
    This is the internet. I am speaking facts. I say it again.

You have no idea of what you are talking about
  • juzaam
    juzaam Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't diet. I do lifestyle changes...
    Once you return to a normal way of eating your weight normally goes back up.

Great words.