Binge Eating

Options
Over the last 4 to 5 weeks, I've been binge eating. I've been lying to others including my personal trainer about what I'm eating. I feel ashamed, because I've come so far, but clearly I have not learnt the lessons.

I am in the middle of a massive relapse. I go to supermarket and corner shops, just for snacks! I've regain 7 lbs. I am eating alot more than I am entering on MFP.

Aaargh.

I would appreciate any advice, even a slap or two:)

Thanks,
Sandrea

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    This is coming from someone who has a real lifelong problem with Binge Eating Disorder. You may consider addressing the reasons you binge. If it's been a constant issue, you may consider seeking the help of a therapist. I can't stand 12-Step Groups like OA, but it may work for you.
  • Runhard13
    Runhard13 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    often problems in and around your life fuel a desire for bad eating habits and relapsing...you have tons of support on here ..would be good to find positive people in your life that you can confide in with a problem rather then drowning it in food. The more sunny your disposition on a daily basis the better off youll be in the long run!!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    this is my personal anecdote but I'm a food addict. I really have not been able to get control of the binge until I admitted I was an addicted and had to actually enlist my boyfriend to police me and hold me accountable. its not been easy especially when I look at him and say i want to binge tonight dont go to bed. there has to be not temptations in your home, and if you really want to get control of it then you have to avoid foods that trigger a binge thats usually candy for me.

i will say as of late its gotten to be more manageable. im at a stage that I dont think about binging as much.

I dont know if this is your case, but i hope you find an answer. i know it can be very difficult and you always feel guilty.

PS-you cant fight the demon unless you are honest about the demon
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Argh, I know this is so hard as I struggle with the same sort of thing. What helps me:

1. I don't have food I like to binge on in the house and I don't eat in the car. When I want to go and get stuff to binge on, I decide to do something - anything - else first, such as call a friend, read, clean the house, watch a film, walk the dog. This often means I don't get around to going to the shops.

2. I do have a lot of flavoured herbal teas and will have a few of them too.

3. Be honest with yourself - Log EVERYTHING on MFP - preferably BEFORE sitting down to eat it.

4. Decide to eat only when stitting at a table with NO distractions - not in front of the tv/phone/internet/book.

It is a lot harder to inhale food when it isn't readily to hand, you make yourself pause and think before obtaining it.
  • RonnieLodge
    Options
    Argh, I know this is so hard as I struggle with the same sort of thing. What helps me:

1. I don't have food I like to binge on in the house and I don't eat in the car. When I want to go and get stuff to binge on, I decide to do something - anything - else first, such as call a friend, read, clean the house, watch a film, walk the dog. This often means I don't get around to going to the shops.

2. I do have a lot of flavoured herbal teas and will have a few of them too.

3. Be honest with yourself - Log EVERYTHING on MFP - preferably BEFORE sitting down to eat it.

4. Decide to eat only when stitting at a table with NO distractions - not in front of the tv/phone/internet/book.

5. I also found The Fast Diet (www.thefastdiet.co.uk) works quite well.

It is a lot harder to inhale food when it isn't readily to hand, you make yourself pause and think before obtaining it.
  • LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    The first step is admitting it. I find when I am at home by myself, all I want to do is eat bad, it is almost as if because no one is around I have the mentality that if no one sees me do it, it doesn't happen. Which is a HORRIBLE way of thinking through it. I have found that when my hubby is at work for the night and all I want to do is eat bad, I change whatever I am doing asap, go for a shower, do some cleaning, watch some tv, go for a walk, just something to try to make your mind think differently. I make sure that I don't have any temptations in our house such as chips or candy (my major two weaknesses) and try to have healthy snacks on hand that will help with the cravings. if you are sneaking out to the corner store or something else, before you leave, think of how much money it is, then think of how often you cheat, and then think of how you can put that money towards something else. Also, like most people have already mentioned, you need to be honest with your self. Log EVERYTHING onto myfitness pal, then you can see what kind of damage you are doing to your diet. Set aside one meal per week where you can have what you want and hopefully that will help with cravings too.
    Feel free to add me on here if you are looking for more friends and support and I will try my best to help in anyway I can :)
    Remember, the first step is admitting you have a problem, you can beat this and overcome it.
  • MooreTK
    MooreTK Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As a binge eater my self, the only help I can offer is to for you to evaluate why you are binge eating. If it is because you deprive yourself then work out a compromise. Maybe allow the food but in a very small portion that will allow you to keep working toward your goal. if you can't figure it out. seek professional help
  • mrsjay4life
    mrsjay4life Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Am so proud that you came out and been honest to yourself.
    But you have to sit and analize your problem and why you binge. For
    Me stress made me binge but thank God I have came to par with myself
    and realize that stress will always be there and binging did no good
    For me; all i did was gain lots of weight. Today I am ready in my heart; mind; and soul to get rid of the
    extra weight so I had to over come my binge. Most people binge
    When they eat foods that spikes their blood sugar. Like Starchy food fast carbs
    breads cakes cookies and sweet food but once you start eating slow carbs
    You will realize that you will have very little or no feeling to binge. So please educate yourself
    on fast and slow carbs. And feel free to share what worked for you.
    I hope this was a help to anyone that suffers from binge eating for I once did!
  • pe4sandra
    pe4sandra Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have certain trigger foods that set me off. The second I put a trigger food in my mouth, it's like something takes control over me and I can't tell myself not to eat. I will taste EVERYTHING in my pantry, and if I don't have something available, I will get into my car and go get it. Typical binge for me includes: Chocolate, potato chips, ice cream, chicken nuggets, corn dogs, quesadilla, bread, pastries, peanut M&Ms, pretzels, coffee, Chex Mix, Fruit Loops (all in one sitting). Pretty gross, right? I'm not sure why I do it, but I do it - and I keep stuffing my face until I cannot take another bite. The most recent binge episodes haven't been as bad. I am learning to talk myself out of it before getting sick. It scares me every time I binge. I start thinking about why I do it, but have never been able to identify the reason/s.. I log my binge days because it keeps me honest and it forces me to look at the damage when I'm over the binge and thinking rationally. All I can tell you is that a binge does not last forever! I am most successful when I follow a schedule and plan my meals.

Don't give up! Log in to MFP, log your food! :flowerforyou:
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a group on mfp for overheating and bingeing. I should check it out myself because I do suffer. I am an addict to food and have been known to binge. As we speak I am talking myself out of eating something on the counter and it's one of my trigger foods that I didn't bring into house. Trying to convince myself to ignore this until my husband comes home and tell him to get the thing out of my sight! Then, of course, he may just eat it and I can't stand watching someone eating something I want. Yay, he just got home and I told him to lock them in his truck and he is now. Whew! I am glad you sent this post - Thank you!
  • pe4sandra
    pe4sandra Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I believe there is a group on mfp for overheating and bingeing. I should check it out myself because I do suffer. I am an addict to food and have been known to binge. As we speak I am talking myself out of eating something on the counter and it's one of my trigger foods that I didn't bring into house. Trying to convince myself to ignore this until my husband comes home and tell him to get the thing out of my sight! Then, of course, he may just eat it and I can't stand watching someone eating something I want. Yay, he just got home and I told him to lock them in his truck and he is now. Whew! I am glad you sent this post - Thank you!

Way to stay strong! :cry: :drinker:
  • april_mesk
    Options
    Of course, that was overeating, not overheating-lol! :)
  • april_mesk
    Options

Way to stay strong! :cry: :drinker:

I am just like you. I start an then I just want everything. I would hate for anyone to have what I eat on video when I get like this. I agree with you on logging everything. Sometimes I miss things just because I forgot what I was because I go crazy. I am probably going to regret admitting this right now but, I am currently trying out 5:2 fasting because I eat too much. Today is first real day of this "fasting" where you just eat 500 cals and then tomorrow I eat normally, but I am already having doubts about this and wondering if it's going to send me into a binge eventually. Going to try. Good luck with your journey. Looks like you are doing a fabulous job!
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am a crazy binge eater. I know exactly how you feel. It takes to time to overcome this disease, trust me. Take it one day at a time....remember the saying "just for today". Start small....and those will turn into big changes. Message me if you need to.
  • Sandrea1981
    Sandrea1981 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am reading your messages and so many of your stories remind me of myself.

1) I eat when no one is watching. If I am at home alone, I find anything bad in the house. It's like if no one see's it's ok.
    2) I eat on the train to work, its my other secret eating time. I am surrounded by stranglers, so its private.
    3) I am mainly binge of starchy food, chocolate, crisps, biscuits, pies and pastries.

Food is the one aspect of my life that I can not seem to control.

Thank you all for advice.

I will look into the OA group on MFP and see what other support I can find locally.

Sandrea
  • manders376
    manders376 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater as well. I have tried OA and enjoyed it, I just had a hard time finding a time/place that worked with my schedule. I also realize for me my binging had a lot to do with my depression so I also started seeing a therapist. We don't talk about my food every visit but it has helped to have someone to talk about the feelings and emotions that lead to the binges.

I think as other people have said, logging everything you eat will help as well (especially if your diary is set so others can see it). I binge in private as well but if I know I have to put it in my log and my friends on here will see it, I find myself thinking twice.
  • aFootballLife25
    aFootballLife25 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    The absolute most important tips I can give you are as follows:

1 - EAT HEALTHY BEFORE YOU ARE HUNGRY. If you wait until you're very hungry, you will crave bad foods and surely binge.

2 - High protein. Protein keeps you fuller longer, uses more calories to digest, preserves muscle mass, and also causes positive hormonal responses that aid in fat loss.
  • RonnieLodge
    Options
    .......Sometimes I miss things just because I forgot what I was because I go crazy. I am probably going to regret admitting this right now but, I am currently trying out 5:2 fasting because I eat too much. Today is first real day of this "fasting" where you just eat 500 cals and then tomorrow I eat normally, but I am already having doubts about this and wondering if it's going to send me into a binge eventually.

I have been doing 5:2 for a few months and find it works well because I have nominated 'binge/feed' days and my stomach seems to shrink a bit on the 'fast' days.
    It also helps on a mental level because on the fast days I figure I can 'binge' tomorrow, which is making it easier to resist the urge.
  • april_mesk
    Options
    .......Sometimes I miss things just because I forgot what I was because I go crazy. I am probably going to regret admitting this right now but, I am currently trying out 5:2 fasting because I eat too much. Today is first real day of this "fasting" where you just eat 500 cals and then tomorrow I eat normally, but I am already having doubts about this and wondering if it's going to send me into a binge eventually.

I have been doing 5:2 for a few months and find it works well because I have nominated 'binge/feed' days and my stomach seems to shrink a bit on the 'fast' days.
    It also helps on a mental level because on the fast days I figure I can 'binge' tomorrow, which is making it easier to resist the urge.

Thank you for your response. Thank everyone, actually-you all have given great advice that I can use. I made it through fast day yesterday. It was tough and I had a headache for most of day. I got over it, though and came up with a loss today ( Wed is my weigh in day). I am going to continue on with the Fasting as it made me feel good today to eat. It's a mind game that may just work!