eating healthy when you're flat broke?

Options
2»

Replies

• kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be in a similar work situation. I am starting a new job where I will be on the road most of the day. When I had this type of job previously I gained 20 lbs due to developing bad eating habits (stopping at the gas station to go to the bathroom and buying a cookie and soda; Dollar menu at McD's, etc). I am trying to come up with different options this time around and may also need to adjust my mind set as to what a meal consists of. It helps to have a thermal bag (a must, IMO) and there are Thermos containers of various styles and sizes that are great for holding warm leftovers. I also saw a lunch sized crock pot container at Target the other day. Apparently you put the food in it, take the holder to work and plug it in then it will be warm by lunch. That won't work for me since I will be in the car, but the thermos could. Some ideas for lunches and snacks that I have come up with are:

-wraps (turkey, veggie, tuna)
    -leftover soup in the thermos
    -salads
    -yogurt
    -almonds
    -fruit/veggies
    -any other portable snack

I know that doesn't sound like much and I need more options to avoid getting bored. I also tend to have a hard time thinking of a meal of consisting of various snacks, but that might be the way to go.
  • Terriorized
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information Smiley. I look forward to looking at those.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Coolers are your friend!

Also as for healthy foods on a budget - beans, brown rice, eggs, and fun a local farmer's market for seasonal fresh fruits and veggies. All wholesome, healthy and filling.
  • skymel14
    skymel14 Posts: 30
    Options
    Thank you very much to everyone who responded- I learned a lot from this post and I will check out some of these links. :)

If anyone is willing to help me figure out how to eat on a tiny budget (I live in Maryland, USA) then Friend me and help a woman out! :)
  • margelizard
    margelizard Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I try and keep our household on a $60 per week grocery budget (there is just my husband and I in the house). The budget includes all household stuff like toothpaste, TP etc etc, so there isn't always $60 to go toward food. My top tips would be:

1. COOK MORE! We used to go out a couple of times a week, but it gets really expensive really quickly. So we try to home cook most meals. We eat a lot of soups (chicken, lentil, vegetable etc etc). I try and switch it up, but generally most of our soups contain a lot of carrots and potatoes and some kind of protein. You can also make in huge batches and freeze extras for lunches and dinners during the week.

2. Try not to waste food: If you are buying a bunch of stuff for salad, try and make sure you plan enough salads during the week to use up the food you have bought.

3. Write a menu for the week and stick to it! Write up your dinners and lunches and assign them to specific days. Yes, it's really boring and not very spontaneous, but if you plan ahead, it makes it easier to stick to what you have outlined. It also allows you to see where you can cut ingredients or share larger ingredients between different dishes in order to cut down on waste.

4. Buy seasonal produce. Your local grocery store will likely have specials on items that are in season. $5 for 4 apples? Kinda expensive. $1 for 5 kiwis, not so bad. Being aware of seasonal stuff will help you plan menus better and drastically reduce your grocery bill.

5. Collect coupons when you see them. Don't be tricked into spending more money on something you wouldn't normally buy i.e. a sale on 3 boxes of crackers for the price of 2. Seems like a good deal, but if you don't usually buy any, this "sale" is just eating into your budget.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Eggs and sandwiches. That's the cheapest you can go to be healthy.
  • PattyRain
    PattyRain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a thought about dry beans. I haven't done this before, but from what I have worked with beans I think this would work. Soak the beans overnight. Drain and rinse in the morning. Then put them back on the stove with and bring it up to boiling water. Add your seasonings. Then place it in a thermos. I'm thinking by the time you eat lunch it would be cooked. try it out on a Saturday first to see if it works.

I always buy my fruit and veggies when they are on sale. There are a number of apples out there and it seems one variety is always on sale. That is the one I buy (unless it is red delicious which I can't stand).

With the insulated lunch bag or cooler you might want to check out Salad in a jar - http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/how-to-make-salad-in-a-jar-2
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    u could just munch on celery all day......
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm unfortunately going to repeat what a lot of people have already said.

1. insulated lunch bag.
    2. Dollar stores are starting to carry a lot of produce.
    3. become one with your ads and start hunting down best deals.
    4. Avoid high carb food because they wont keep you full as long. Pack in that protein. It'll seem more expensive but you'll be consuming less. Always cook dinner so you have lunch for the next day.

Try getting use to eating cold food. Construction men all of the world do it every day.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Salads in a jar! They aren't the healthiest as they can be packed with sodium and fat but that are a great lunch idea that is portable, doesn't need any heating and you can throw meats, cheeses, legumes and whatever else in and make your own dressings. Lettuce is relatively cheap and lots of cheaper meats are better in bite sizes :)

You can always go for soup and use a thermos, they can keep food hot for 6-8 hours on a standard thermos so you can definitely warm up the soup and put it in the thermos and have it for lunch still warm and ready to eat! Soups are also a pretty cheap solution, also high in sodium normally depending on if it is homemade or store bought but if you make it yourself of course you can tailor it to your needs!

Those are just two things that I can think of, they are cheaper options and definitely fit your needs. Hope you find the right solution for you :)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Eating bro foods is actually pretty cheap.

tuna
    oats
    rice
    beans
    chicken breast tenderloins
    pasta
    fruits and veggies

All very cheap. It's the good stuff that seams to be high imo. If you go to markets like, "Food 4 Less" early they have manager specials on food that is a day old. I am always on the lookout for cheap meat (pause), that is usually the biggest expense for me. The carbs, fats, and veggies are cheaper and usually last much longer.

You could always try extreme couponing though. Right?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Look up your state's WIC guide. That gives you the absolute basics of balanced nutrition for the lowest amount of cost.