Need a good beginner workout

Options
2»

Replies

• caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is a good one : )
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I like Yoga Booty Ballet - Cardio Cabaret. It's really silly and fun cardio (my 3 year old does it with me!)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    LESLIE SANSONE
    1 MILE WALK
    ON YOU TUBE
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The You are your own gym app (I have it on android, I think it's on iphone too though!) has a good full range of workouts, starting from a 2.5 minute beginner routine right through to massive elite workouts, so will take you anywhere you want to go.

if it helps any, I'm not dreadfully unfit but it still took a couple of weeks before I could get right through the 30DS workout 1. First day I managed 4 minutes, then couldn't go down stars normally for days! they're not easy!
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    hi, and welcome! I would try Jorge Cruise, 8min. in the morning. Such a great book. He has 2 workouts you do everyday . When i say 2 workouts...i literally mean that. You do several reps, and he teaches you how to breathe thru them. He also makes them get harder every 4 weeks to challenge your muscles. Not too hard. It doesn't go from 1 to 10 in that amount of time. Just gradual changes. these workouts are great for getting started and for people who have a hard time with cardio in the beginning. I lost weight with his book after giving birth to 3 kids. I had to start from scratch with each one, and that is where i started. I am doing more today, but you have to start somewhere. I was up to 200 with my first pregnancy. I got down to 140 in a year, using his stuff, and then over time i moved to more cardio, and then harder stuff once i lost about 30lbs. He has a journal in the book that really helps you to keep motivated. He also shows you how certain foods can bloat you and how others can speed your metabolism. All exercises have pictures, and you only use 3 to 5lb weights. He is great...and has been in the exercise and health field for years. Check it out! ;)
  • lesleyoung6
    Options
    I've just started so can't offer much help I'm afraid but I will say... those two *kitten* who dumped you... what did they weigh? Add the two together and consider them pounds well lost! You've made a fantastic start :drinker:
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 years old, dumped by two boyfriends for other women because I'm too fat, and really hate myself today. I weigh almost 230 lbs and I'm only 5'6". I think I've got my eating plan locked down right now, but I could use some online friends to help me with a decision regarding strength training.

I've tried probably half a dozen videos in the last week and can barely finish the warmups (ex Ripped in 30, JM's Total Body Revolution). Can anyone recommend something a little less overwhelming? The only equipment I have access to right now is a yoga mat, and pairs of dumbbells that weigh 2, 3, and 8 lbs.

I like to look at collagevideo.com to find good beginner workouts. There are so many choices and you can narrow it down to what you want. I noticed that when I do the easier workouts I don't get injured. After I had my son I tried to start exercising again at the same level I was before I got pregnant and I injured myself because it was just too hard. Any walking workout would probably be good. I have some by Biggest Loser, Denise Austin, Chris Freytag and Prevention. Shapelygirl videos seem to be good for me right now, though it may be too easy for you. It was a little easy when I was your size. There is a beginner step dvd workout by Gin Miller called Everybody Steps and I used it when I was about your size and really liked it. Petra Kolber has a beginner strength training video. Like other people mentioned, Leslie Sansone is really good. For yoga there is a program called Heavyweight Yoga and for pilates Plus Size Pilates. Tae Bo beginner or Tae Bo Gold is really fun if you can do it.
  • arljduke
    arljduke Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One additional thing you might try - I love listening to Jillian Michael's podcasts when I walk. It makes the time go by so much faster. They are free to download from itunes. If you don't have an ipod, you can download itunes for free to any computer and listen to the podcasts straight from your computer if you have to. You might have a fancy phone that would work as well. I have an ipod and carry it with me on my walks. It's so entertaining and inspiring. Some podcasts are better than others but I've even enjoyed listening to some of them more than once.

Good luck! I agree with everyone else offering you advice about doing whatever you can in the beginning. Don't feel you have to do it all. Just making yourself do something 5 min a day is better than nothing. I'm trying to make myself do something everyday. I know we can do it. Enjoy the feeling of your heart pounding in your chest.

One more thing - you max heart rate according to Jillian is 220 less your age. You can aim to work out at 85% of your maximum target. You don't want to go crazy!!

Enjoy the journey!