Healthy eating on a ramen budget

Options

Replies

• Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is defiantly your friend. I wait until the flyers come out then base my meals on the sales.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i feel ya. we have about 200 to spend for our monthly shopping between the 2 of us, and idk if your grocery offers it but the shop at home has helped me save money. i can search and sort everything by unit price and find deals a lot easier on my own time at the computer instead of rushing through the store and missing stuff.

staples that i use around my meals are:
    rice
    beans
    pasta
    meatless grounds (if you eat meat then get like chicken or something and freeze it)
    frozen veggies when they are on sale and local fresh produce that i can freeze so it lasts longer
    various spices so i can change the flavor of the meal using the same ingredients
    potatos
    tomato sauce
    tortillas
    dairy (eggs, cheese (the blocks are cheaper than shdredded, i freeze those until i need the cheese or i shred it ahead of time and freeze it for whenever i need it)

from there i can make sushi bowls (sounds fancy but it's not, i add asparagus cucumber edamame and soy sauce and crumble nori sheets, the nori sheets you dont need to use much and they are fairly cheap)
    pasta salads
    hot pasta dishes with tomato sauce or i make a white sauce with milk parm cheese and some butter
    curries with diff veggies (eggplant when it's on sale)
    quesadillas
    sweet potatos with red beans
    baked spaghetti squash
    cauliflower pizza
    stuffed zucchini
    fajitas
    rice and beans
    shepherds pie
    chickpea soup
    chickpea salad
    slow cooker soups
    stir fry

i will cook a plain batch of rice and from there can use it for sushi bowl, mexican dish or stir fry just by leaving it plain and seasoning it when i make it.
    also will cook plain pasta then just use it with different veggies or different type of sauce
    dried beans cost less, you cna always cook them ahead of time and freeze until needed, less sodium as well

best of luck!!
  • paintedladytc2010
    Options
    How about this? I just created these two meals: Not sure if they're cheap enough:

1....ITALIAN RICE: 2 cups of rice, one 14.5 oz Hunts basil garlic diced tomatoes (entire can), 8 oz bella mushrooms (chopped chunkly), 4 cups of water, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon sea salt/salt. Mix all ingredients together in a large saucepan. Cover. Bring to slow boil. Cook 20 minutes at simmer. Makes 8 one cup servings.

2...Egg Quesadilla: 1 fried egg, 1/2 red pepper (sliced lengthwise), 1 flour tortilla (large), 1 teaspoon butter, 1/4 Mexican cheese blend, and salt, pepper and garlic powder. Fry the egg at one end of pan and sauté red pepper at the other end. Add the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place on a plate. Place flour tortilla into pan to heat. Then when it's heated and still in pan, put
    fried egg, red pepper slices and cheese on the tortilla. Fold and press. (one serving)

3. Shrimp Quesadilla: Substitute 1 teaspoon olive oil for the butter, 6 medium shrimp for the egg, add sliced onions to the mix,
    and the rest of the ingredients & cook as above. I'm going to make this after I get shrimp from the store. At Save-A-Lot, you can
    buy a good sized bag for $6.99 of shrimp! (one serving)

4. Baked vegetables: Potatoes, carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli (whatever you like)---wash and cut up your veggies (cut brussel sprouts in half). Depending on how much you make is how large the pan will be. Pour in some olive oil. place veggies on it. Sprinkle with Seasonal and garlic powder and stir to coat. Cook at 400 for about 45 minutes. Stir once while baking to ensure even cooking. You can use this as a side or main...I found through this MFP that we get protein from so many foods I have had to decrease meat portions or I go over.

I buy two whole chickens from Sam's Club for $10.00. Each chicken lasts us for 3 meals. I change up how I fix them after baking. We eat the leg/thighs first, then he has some breast and I eat the chicken wings and then the last breast goes into yellow rice or something like that. Protein for 6 meals for $10. Not bad.
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    brown rice, with chicken/grd turkey/ or beef and veggies!
  • alecialudwickjones
    Options
    Check your local farmers markets for seconds. Veggies or fruit w/ bad spots (easily cut away) that are super cheap!
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Go to Aldis!! Chicken, pepper, broccoli, brown rice, tomatos, mushrooms, squash, etc.. All of that is healthy and dont cost much especially at Aldis!
  • ysienkiewicz
    ysienkiewicz Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have a store called Produce Junction near me and can can fresh veggies and fruit fairly inexpensively, along with eggs. 5 lbs of bananas are $2.00. 2 lbs of fresh green beans are $2. I also have a farmers market near me and shop there as well. Trader Joe's is another great store to get healthy food at a reasonable price. (Even their milk is cheaper!) I am lucky, I have a freezer in the basement, so we shop the sales and stock up. My mom raised 4 kids on her own as a self employed hair dresser on a shoe string budget.

I am not a "fancy" cook. We just eat plenty of steamed veggies, potatoes, rice, roasted chicken, baked pork chops, etc. I find that cooking healthy meals at home is a lot cheaper than junk food!
  • shinesunfish
    shinesunfish Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You have some really good tips here - I'm sure there are inexpensive recipes out there, and I have found this site particularly inspiring http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/

We also spend $200 a month on groceries, and we are not suffering AT ALL. A few shopping tips:
    - PLAN YOUR MEALS AHEAD OF TIME. It takes about 15 minutes once you've gotten the hang of it. Make a shopping list and buy only the things on that list (I usually give myself one "treat" that I buy on impulse)
    -If you aren't already, Pinterest!
    -Deal in cash. We take out $200 at the beginning of the month, and that is all that we have. Things seem less important when you are physically paying for them. Plus, that gives me a little flex to shop sales...
    -Shop sales! Avoid places like Walmart that never have them. I get all of my meat on sale, if you keep your eyes open you can get some good prices. Package out and freeze bulk meat in good prices.
    -I find the bigger the place I'm shopping at, the more money I spend. I stick to slightly higher priced local markets, because I only get exactly what I need and actually end up spending less.

Hope this helps!
  • TurquoisWater
    TurquoisWater Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can BBQ. I just did and had an amazing and really cheap dinner. I didn't put anything on the veggies and meat except for a little salt. Had grilled tomatoes, mushrooms, and steamed green beans along with a beef burger (that came frozen. You can get it at any grocery store in packages for relatively cheap).

Whatever you do, don't eat out. I believe it's a lot cheaper to eat out in the US than here in Canada, but still...You don't know what goes into it and you can make something healthier at home.

Someone mentioned frozen veggies, that is something that is quick and requires minimal effort. It tastes pretty good and you get the nutrition you need. However, in my experience, you can get tired of it quickly. There is quite a variety out there, so don't always buy the same ones.

I was thinking of going with the organic locally grown vegetables as someone mentioned above. Here it would be about $35 a week. Again, I don't know where you're from, but I'm sure they have similar programs you can choose from. The good side of this is that you eat whatever is in season and it comes to your door. You are getting better produce and supporting local farmers... it's a win win for everyone.

Good luck and stay healthy!
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    warm water

seriously
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump, great ideas here
  • mitsi94
    mitsi94 Posts: 64
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! Bump bump!
  • amariepooch
    amariepooch Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    WELL!!! There are lots of ways to cut corners.

Some ways I cut corners is I buy bone in split chicken breasts. When its on sale around here it is about 99cents a pound and the bone doesn't weight too much. and you can debone and take the skin and fat off chicken breasts by yourself quite easily.

Canned meats are not always unhealthy. If you go for Tuna fish in the can make sure to get the kind packed in water. Canned oysters are okay too. Not as good as fresh but hey we are on a ramen diet!

Other things to look at are coupons. Watch how they rotate. Cereals like Fiber One are GREAT and with a coupon can make it quite inexpensive. or buy store brand!

Sign up for coupons and look for online coupons. http://www.coupons.com/couponweb/Offers.aspx?pid=15046&zid=uw18&nid=10&bid=alk0611180627f0807ba2e1110&opid=15046

Freefly currently has some Skinny cow coupons, nature valley, yoplait yogurt, etc. Lots of health foods you can print coupons for. And LOTS of savings.
  • sm54942
    sm54942 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Use all the other advice in this thread to buy what you can. I'm not sure where you're located but most cities (at least in the US) have food banks or other similar organizations. Take advantage of these services if you need them. That's why the exist there is no reason to deny your body proper nutrition. In my town you can get plenty of healthy fare like dried beans, canned goods, bread, and fresh fruit/veggies. When you're back on your feet donate some food back to the organization or donate your time.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Some ways I cut corners is I buy bone in split chicken breasts. When its on sale around here it is about 99cents a pound and the bone doesn't weight too much. and you can debone and take the skin and fat off chicken breasts by yourself quite easily.

Definitely this, and with more meats than just chicken. Our local Sam's Club has large vacuum sealed pork tenderloins for at least half the price of the tiny, pre-butchered and marinated 1lb tenderloins. All I have to do is cut the monster down into one pound portions for freezing and I save 10-15 dollars on lean meat.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later..
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Loved the title of this thread btw!
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I dont' have much of a suggestion for eating on a tight budget. Myself, I'm subsisting on food banks for the most part. The bad part about that, is that I'm getting mostly high-salt canned goods. But I'm learning a LOT from reading it.

I do have a suggestion for the other half of your problem, ie, making barely over min wage. If you live in the USA and have a Costco remotely close to you, APPLY!!! They pay an average of $17/hr and starting cashiers make an average of $12/hr. That's 3x and 2x minimum wage respectively!
  • estralla03
    Options
    One thing that I have found is to buy a whole chicken and cut it up yourself rather than buying "precut" meat. It's way cheapier to cut up the meat yourself and then you can cook the bones for broth to make soup or stew. Its a win win! Buy bulk when you can (oatmeal,beans, ect). More bang for your buck and healthier for you too since most everything that is "precanned" has so much added sodium.
  • kmamaward
    kmamaward Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump