Thinking of the Weight Loss Surgery?

Options
Hey All,

If you are looking into losing between 50-100+ lbs and you are in the Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin or Phoenix area, feel free to shoot me a message and an add. My life changed for the best on January 28, 2013 when I made the decision to undergo the surgery. Believe me it's still hard work and discipline but I'd love to share my journey and story.

Replies

• conwayakula
    conwayakula Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What surgery did you have. Am thinking about doing the gastric sleeve. Still thinking about it. Am tracking my calories/my nutritionist. Have to say a part of me would love to start my 50th year off getting rid of all this excess weight. Please let me know how long ago you had your surgery and what changes in your eating you feel you do better with.

Thanks

Colleen
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in Houston on 9/27/12 and had a fantastic surgeon and a wonderful dietitian. I would do this again in a heartbeat. I live 2 hours from Houston, but it was well worth the drive and is still worth it for all my follow up appointments. It has greatly improved my type I diabetes and all my other problems. I feel like a human being again.
  • KellyBlack91
    Options
    I honestly couldn't go get surgery, even the thought of it makes me very scared. Well done to you!!:D
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Lovelyladydawn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in Houston on 9/27/12 and had a fantastic surgeon and a wonderful dietitian. I would do this again in a heartbeat. I live 2 hours from Houston, but it was well worth the drive and is still worth it for all my follow up appointments. It has greatly improved my type I diabetes and all my other problems. I feel like a human being again.

Good for you!!! It's an amazing feeling isnt it!! :)
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I think you could achieve better results without the surgery. Its shouldn't be the first choice, its should be the last resort. I've lost 111 lbs with hard work and diet, changing your lifestyle is what you need to do.

Just my 2 cents.. for what its worth.
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Options
    I think you could achieve better results without the surgery. Its shouldn't be the first choice, its should be the last resort. I've lost 111 lbs with hard work and diet, changing your lifestyle is what you need to do.

I'm sure the surgery is everyone's last resort as I have spent half of my life batteling weight loss/gain. After trying every diet in the book, this is what worked for me..Since when does having the surgery mean it's easy and not hard? My dear the band only limits how much I intake, everything else is on me.. Working out, eating the right foods etc. Thanks for your input..
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options

I'm sure the surgery is everyone's last resort as I have spent half of my life batteling weight loss/gain. After trying every diet in the book, this is what worked for me..Since when does having the surgery mean it's easy and not hard? My dear the band only limits how much I intake, everything else is on me.. Working out, eating the right foods etc. Thanks for your input..

Do what works for you and good luck on your journey!!!!!!! You look great!!
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Options

Thank you!! I really appreciate your kind words...
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Sheesh! I can't believe you are getting negative comments!!

We all have different paths to the same end :-). You have to do YOUR life and no one else's for sure.

Congrats on your loss, your path wasn't easy!

Keep it up and I wish you much success :-)
  • deety3
    deety3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Shame on all you negative posters!!!

We're here to encourage each other not tear each other down. And who's to say which is the best way? One size doesn't fit every body, one diet plan doesn't fit every body, and one weight loss method doesn't fit every body.

And NO, I haven't had the surgery -- I'm doing it with diet and exercise. But kudos to ANYONE who tries to improve their health!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I agree... great job on the lbs. dropped!!:flowerforyou:
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Options
    Good day and good luck on your journey..
  • kristendube
    Options
    well said girl..
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    DaughterOfTheMostHighKing Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Hey All,

If you are looking into losing between 50-100+ lbs and you are in the Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, San Antonio, Austin or Phoenix area, feel free to shoot me a message and an add. My life changed for the best on January 28, 2013 when I made the decision to undergo the surgery. Believe me it's still hard work and discipline but I'd love to share my journey and story.

it's not cheating. we all deal with the same challenges in different ways... some people don't buy chocolates, I have it laying around the house and it doesn't go anywhere... I hope you continue to have success!

I do know someone who had the procedure and she is in Houston. Unfortunately she doesn't eat healthfully and gains weight, and has had her band loosened and tightened several times and she doesn't exercise and is not mindful of her food intake....

God bless you on your awesome journey!!!!
  • JillianLH
    JillianLH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cant believe all the negativity! Whatever works for you! You cant get surgery and then just eat what you want ...it takes alot of work to maintain and keep it off. Leave the girl alone just because you don't believe in it or don't agree with it DOES NOT MEAN ITS WRONG!
  • Lovelyladydawn
    Options
    it's not cheating. we all deal with the same challenges in different ways... some people don't buy chocolates, I have it laying around the house and it doesn't go anywhere... I hope you continue to have success!

I do know someone who had the procedure and she is in Houston. Unfortunately she doesn't eat healthfully and gains weight, and has had her band loosened and tightened several times and she doesn't exercise and is not mindful of her food intake....

God bless you on your awesome journey!!!!

Awwe thanks girly...I posted this to support others and I got thrashed!! lol Geesh!!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    You couldn't be more wrong (at least in some cases). I have family members who eat right, exercise 2x/day almost every day (on weekends sometimes it's only once) and they cannot lose weight. They have done literally every program out there, have hired personal trainers, and have even done doctor supervised plans to no avail. They are now choosing to have surgery after having been diagnosed with a cancer (that is now been removed) that is linked to obesity, as every other option has been exhausted. She will still eat right and exercise, but the surgery has helped others with the same problem reach their weight loss goals.

For some? They jump to weight loss surgery as a solution to a problem without realizing what they have to do to reach success...this is very true. But you can't call everyone who does it lazy, because that's just not the case.
  • pattyci
    pattyci Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Boo. Not nice. I'm sure she was desperate... many of us are. It wouldn't be my choice, but clearly it was hers. We're to be supportive and encouraging. It was a brave move.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Good for you, for taking the initiative to offer to be a support system to others!

I had RNY in September 2012, and LOVE that I am now able to go out bike riding and play basketball with my daughter. I physically could not do those things before, and now we are embracing a more active, healthier eating lifestyle AS A FAMILY! I honestly only opened your post because of the title, but once I saw that there are people attacking you (and any others) for the choice to utilize a tool that is so useful for those who use it correctly, I had to thrown in my comment. I think it is great that people are willing to be supportive, like yourself, to people who may not have made a decision yet even!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!