Camping Recipes

Options
HELP....going camping in a few weeks and not to sure what to eat.......just getting back on track with this weight loss journey and scared to death to go camping!! Before this journey I would eat hot dogs and smores like CRAZY!!! Plus I would snack on crap most of the day....I figured we were camping so the calories didnt count....LOL.....So please help me with some healthy alternatives to smores and all that yummy stuff, P.S. I am allergic to MOST fruit :(

Replies

• andieellengreen
    andieellengreen Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm going camping this weekend so would like to see the responses from people too :)
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Well I am going to a 5-day music festival where I won't even be able to cook. so if you have a fire, you may have more options, but these are the things I'm bringing:
    -canned peaches
    -canned pears
    -canned mandarin oranges
    -canned corn
    -canned pineapple
    -lots of low sodium chicken noodle soup
    -turkey jerky
    -pretzels
    -tons of water
    -canned tuna/chicken/etc
    -animal crackers
    -pumpkin/sunflower seeds
    -spaghettios (surprisingly low in calories)

Realistically, you'll be camping and having a good time, so don't sweat it too much. I have no cooler and no access to a stove or fire so these are my essentials. Good luck!
  • mitsi94
    mitsi94 Posts: 64
    Options
    I go camping a lot, and I like to bring stuff like:

Sandwich thins bread, lunchmeat, lettuce, tomato (good replacement when everyone else is eating hot dogs)
    Low carb tortillas, cream cheese, cucumber, cooked chicken breast or lunchmeat
    Low carb tortillas, scrambled eggs & salsa for breakfast burritos (assuming you will be able to cook eggs)
    Overnight or refrigerator oatmeal
    Breakfast cereal (healthy one that fits into your calorie goal) *also good for snacking
    Veggies that come in small pieces or cut into small pieces for snacking (carrots, cucumber, jicama, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, orange & red bell peppers, etc)
    Lower calorie canned soup, or you could make some homemade soup ahead of time
    Pickles
    Tuna fish
    Jerky
    Nuts
    Your favorite protein or nutrition bars (if you get a good chocolatey one, it might even replace smores for you)

Hope that helps!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If you are able to eat bananas - banana boats are great!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Banana-Boats/#&panel1-1

What are you going to be using to cook? BBQ, fire, stove???
  • SmilinLadybug
    SmilinLadybug Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We will be using camp stove, bbq and fire......banana boats sound good....and I am sure the kids would love it too! Thanks!!
  • JessCowles
    JessCowles Posts: 11
    Options
    Great ideas! Thanks!
  • kriskrieger
    kriskrieger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I went camping a few weeks back and I was at the same place you are now. I didn't know what to eat. One thing that I found that is tasty and still reminds me of the deliciously bad for you bbq food is Alfesco Sweet Italian chicken sausage. Sausage is not the greatest thing for you but these are packed with protein and low in calories and taste pretty good. Good luck with your camping trip!
  • roni87
    roni87 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i go camping often and a few of my favorites are

turkey burgers
    grilled chicken
    grilled veggies... my favorite is peppers, zuchinni, carrots and mushrooms
    make a big thing of fruit salad ahead of time... if have a fridge
    or apples, bananas, and oranges.. dont have to be kept cold
    pickles
    chips and salsa
    ranch packet mix with greek yogurt for a veggie dip
    cheese and lunch meat tray for snacking
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi. We camp often, and you can basically take any meal you want to as long as you prep for it. The foil dinners are great over a fire because you can add all kinds of veggies and whatever meat you wish ~ and everyone can make their own that way. The pre-cooked Grillers meats from Tyson make for a quick ,handy and fresh idea for fajitas= a one pot meal with your prepped peppers and onions already to go. Just heat through, and fill your shells with whatever you want. (The lowfat sour cream is good with these, however I cannot stand the fat free version yet). You can make up breakfast burritos too ahead of time, and heat them up over the fire in foil. You can use turkey sausage, or turkey bacon, egg whites, and low fat cheese, hash browns are low in cals - and are just a small amount. You then season with whatever each of you like, hot sauce, ketchup, ect. Kabobs are also fun to make and everyone can build there own. Just prep you veggies and you can quickly and easily add your meat and healthy veggies to your Kabob sticks. Strawberry shortcake (we use angle food cake) with fresh strawberries makes a refreshing end to a camp fire dinner. Cut small pieces of angle food cake, top with Strawberries, and enjoy. We typically do not take very much can items, mainly fresh. Remember, prep your items so it is quick and easy. I go on Pinterest and get a ton of Camping ideas. Have a Great time !
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    The possibilities are endless with a BBQ/stove & fire some of the things I do to try and be good...

Try to plan my meals and snacks before I go!

Make some healthy meals at home, freeze them (also great for keeping stuff cold in the cooler) they tend to defrost at different rates so I just heat them up when they defrost! This cuts down huge on prep time and because the healthy meal is there makes me much less likely to stray for the junk!

I try to BBQ extra meat at supper and use it in a wrap for lunch.

Take some cut up veggies and dip to snack on while cooking etc.

Make sure that you have some yummy but healthy snacks so you don't feel like you are missing out - popcorn can be done over the fire and banana boats do a lot less damage than s'mores!

Try not to drink too many calories!

Take a crock pot - if you have electric they are a great way to get your veggies and if you use the crockpot liners you don't even have to worry about clean up!

Have fun :drinker:
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Edibles I bring camping:

Hot dogs
    Chips
    Pop tarts
    Beer
  • afgrpa
    afgrpa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Foil Packs! There are a million different variations of foil packs...make them how you like them. The nice thing about the foil pack is you make them individually so you can be sure not to go over your goal for that meal.

I make mine with Kielbasa, potatoes, carrots, and onions.

My mom makes hers wrapped in cabbage with Hamburger, onions, carrots and potatoes.

My sister in law makes hers like mine but uses Turkey Burgers.

Some recipes call for a TBSP of BBQ sauce. I just put butter in mine.

Foil packs are a camping tradition in my family. Let the kids make their own with the veggies they like.

I always bring fresh veggies too...family usually end up munching on my fresh veggies rather than the snacks they brought.