About the average american woman

Options
jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
So one thing that has been puzzling me for a while, is the stats on the "average" american woman.

Let's recap:
Height: 63.8 inches (just under 5'4")
Weight: 166 pounds
Waist Size: 34**
Clothing Size: 14

** Lots of conflicting stuff out there on measurements. But I am just going to use this stat for "white women" for reference sake: 41-34-43. The averages for Latinas, Black Women and Asian women vary a bit. But all are within an inch or 2 in each dimension. Some of the waist estimates are as high as 37. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/01/us/sizing-up-america-signs-of-expansion-from-head-to-toe.html

But herein lies my question. For all intensive purposes, I am the size of the "Average" american. And reading the threads, many of you are as well. I am a little over 5'4." My measurements are about 42-34-45 (so not too far off the the average). Yet I am around 50 pounds over that "average" weight. And last summer, I did get to those average (my waist was a little smaller, but similar enough) measurements. And I was 40 pounds heavier than the "average woman" who is supposed to have my measurements. The only thing that is certain, If I was "average" weight, my measurements would not be "average." They'd be significanly smaller.

So what's the deal? Is the average woman's scale lying? Or is it something else all together. Body composition? Some other explanation?

Has anyone else compared themselves to the "average woman?"

Replies

• airwagn
    airwagn Posts: 21
    Options
    I have thought the same thing. I believe that it might be helpful to think of all of those categories as classed separately. For example, as a whole, the American woman, regardless of weight, height, etc. has a waist size of 34. Or, disregarding everything else, the average size is 14. It is difficult to lump these all together into a fair representation, when so many women (from the posts I've seen before) don't seem to fit the bill of what is supposedly "average." For example, I am a size 10/12, with a 30" waist, under the "average" size, but I am 164 pounds, close to the average weight. Maybe the categories all put together don't necessarily represent a prototype of a good chunk of American women.

Or maybe I'm completely off...
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Never met an 'average' American woman in my life.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    An average is a bunch of numbers added together and divided by the number of numbers that were added together.

There will be outliers -- some way higher and some way lower.

Ex: 20+50+70+10+30+150=330

The average of those numbers is 55.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Body composition and skewed sampling.

Pretty sure the closest response center to me was in the parking lot of the Compton Wal Mart, which is why I didn't show up.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Weight is not determined by 3 measurements.

By the way, it's "intents and purposes" not "intensive purposes."
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Average is so average! Bleh! :huh: Embrace YOU!
  • NormInv
    Options
    An average is a bunch of numbers added together and divided by the number of numbers that were added together.

what you mean to say is, look at mode or median, not the mean. Your welcome!
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

We've discussed this ad nauseum. Nobody is being mean. Sheesh!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You might be the average weight of the nation but when you refer to being X lbs over the "average weight", that "average weight" is the average weight within a healthy weight range.

For simplicity sake, say that the healthy weight range for a 5'4" woman is between 120 and 140. The average of those would be 130. That's the average you are x lbs overweight.
  • sparkle814
    sparkle814 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Could be that you have a larger frame and more muscle than the average women with those approximate stats? And as someone else also mentioned that those few measurements don't give info on hip/butt/thigh/arm etc size, so maybe that plays into it too. This is so interesting!
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    My head hurts from this.....me needs hugz and kisses AND :heart:
  • NormInv
    Options
    You might be the average weight of the nation but when you refer to being X lbs over the "average weight", that "average weight" is the average weight within a healthy weight range.

For simplicity sake, say that the healthy weight range for a 5'4" woman is between 120 and 140. The average of those would be 130. That's the average you are x lbs overweight.

you mean standard deviation!
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options

My friend is mean when she eats pancakes.
  • weevil66
    Options

you mean standard deviation!

You called?
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

Your friend should be feeding you a five fingered sandwich for making such a random accusation.
  • weevil66
    Options

Your friend should be feeding you a five fingered sandwich for making such a random accusation.

I am going to buy her a pancake tomorrow to see what happens. If I am absent tomorrow that means she shoved that pancake in my face.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think weight is a useless measure of health. Just find it interesting about these "averages". It is a little weird.

My own goals are not weight related. I have a goal weight neighborhood. But if it turns out I hit my goal measurements/body fat percentage before the weight it is not an issue. The scale isn't motivating. It is more import is to make health behaviors permanent habits.

Luckily for me I don't have any major health issues to deal with, things like blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol are normal to low.
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Weight is not determined by 3 measurements.

By the way, it's "intents and purposes" not "intensive purposes."

Glad you said it before me....I thought those purposes must be really intense!
  • mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think weight is a useless measure of health. Just find it interesting about these "averages". It is a little weird.

My own goals are not weight related. I have a goal weight neighborhood. But if it turns out I hit my goal measurements/body fat percentage before the weight it is not an issue. The scale isn't motivating. It is more import is to make health behaviors permanent habits.

Luckily for me I don't have any major health issues to deal with, things like blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol are normal to low.

You have some good points, but I think weight is still useful. It can be an indicator of how much lean mass your body has versus how much fat it has. It would be difficult to image a 300 pound 5'4" woman that was all muscle, so in this example weighing 300 pounds is a sign of less than ideal health. Too much fat and a person will start to develop those health issues which fortunately you currently do not have.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Good question! I suppose it has to do with body composition. I mean, like you (though I'm a "white woman" LOL) my measurements are 41/31/41 but...I weigh about ten pounds more than the "average" white women that you speak of. I also suppose that its a good thing there are all different shapes and sizes or the world would be a truly boring place in which we live! :heart: