Replies

• 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Interesting post, thanks!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    What happens if I eat only proteins and get rid of carbs and fat? This is a stupid idea
    I don't know that anyone recommends getting rid of carbs and fat. All the people I've seen promoting a very low carb diet encourage people to eat lots of healthy fats and mention that an all lean protein only diet leads to 'rabbit starvation'.

Glad to hear that the kidney thing is bunk.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Can you please explain more as to why you are against the ketogenic diet approach, and why ketosis is a "risk" for those who don't already present with underlying complications (such as pancreatic exhaustion/T1 diabetes)? Also, what role, if any, do you feel that hormones play in fat accumulation/oxidation?

Thanks for your interesting contribution in the matter.
    Ketogenic diet has been proposed for a long time. It works in terms of weight loss, but it comes at a price. High price in my opinion:

1) You are more likely to lose weight than fat on a ketogenic diet, compared to a complete diet.

Didnt read the rest...point one is blatantly false. On ketogenic diets vs higher carb diets, body composition is improved and muscle loss reduced compared to carb diets. This has been shown in numerous bodybuilding examples, some of them even using the same individual.

You have tons of other false points in your first post along with some good info as well.
  • Zoemarie89
    Zoemarie89 Posts: 59
    Options
    Thanks for the info :) Interesting read!
  • djkronyx
    djkronyx Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I am interested, always especially when physicians are involved.

But I must play devil's advocate. You say avid bodybuilders look to increase protein intake as a correlate of increased muscle size/density. True, though you reference a study where the subjects are nowhere near producing the work load and volumes of an avid bodybuilder. Twice a week which I am assuming can only be full body workouts with a frequency of 2 per 7 days is hardly considered avid bodybuilding.

I concede to the point that most bodybuilders are probably eating more protein than they need, though the sensible ones are not doing so as a marker of what they believe to be a required amount of protein, but instead as a result of a specific macronutrient ratios that they believe to produce optimal performance and recovery...combine this with a minimal maintenance level of total calories, and by default the protein numbers tend to be in the higher range.

If a bodybuilder who trains 5 times a week is given an 3000 calorie diet, and assuming he is intaking the upper range of carbohydrate (500g/day), and a moderate range of fat (80g), the left over protein allowment is still going to be higher than the RDA. Much higher. If he were to injest more carb, he would not see increased glycogen synthesis. If he were to ingest more fat, he would not reap the benefits of better endocrine function or enhanced insulin sensitivity. What he gains from over-ingesting protein is the promise of a positive nitrogen balance for most of his 24 hour day. Therefore, assured protein synthesis, most likely (though you are correct that there is a genetic limit to how much synthesis is actually achieved per individual)

There is no fault in assuming a 250 surplus will lead to increased lean body mass. There is folly in the assumption that a 250 surplus is optimal. If the goal is to amass lean tissue in a short time, the logic extends that we'd eat much more than a 250 calorie surplus. Assuming our genetic ability to partition nutrients between fat, glycogen, and muscle cannot be changed in any way (a point you reference to yourself), ingestion of something like 700 over maintenance, coupled with intense training will see you gain weight theoretically at 1lb a week (3500 calories) in the ratio of muscle-fat that your body genetically already preordains.

Very concise post. For the most part I like it. =)

What he said.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Re #3: People would do well to learn about rabbit starvation.

Re #4: I'm not in any place to pull the article, but I've seen articles read as high as 2.5g per lb of mass for any extended period before there is even any semblance of issues related to intake. If I have the time and remember to I'll link it here.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    True, though you reference a study where the subjects are nowhere near producing the work load and volumes of an avid bodybuilder. Twice a week which I am assuming can only be full body workouts with a frequency of 2 per 7 days is hardly considered avid bodybuilding.

To build on this, the money line for people who don't click links: "Whey protein supplementation did not affect exercise training-induced responses in body composition and indices of metabolic syndrome in middle-aged overweight and obese adults who maintained body weight."

Study had nothing to do with bodybuilders, or even athletic adults trying to gain muscle mass.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Re #3: People would do well to learn about rabbit starvation.

Re #4: I'm not in any place to pull the article, but I've seen articles read as high as 2.5g per lb of mass for any extended period before there is even any semblance of issues related to intake. If I have the time and remember to I'll link it here.
    You should learn more about the study
    people only ate protein and no other nurients.

Ignore the fact they didnt consume any micronutrients. especially vitamin c cause we cannot synthesize it.

Lets all assume it was the high protein that killed them.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Can you please explain more as to why you are against the ketogenic diet approach, and why ketosis is a "risk" for those who don't already present with underlying complications (such as pancreatic exhaustion/T1 diabetes)? Also, what role, if any, do you feel that hormones play in fat accumulation/oxidation?

Ketogenic diet has been proposed for a long time. It works in terms of weight loss, but it comes at a price. High price in my opinion:

1) You are more likely to lose weight than fat on a ketogenic diet, compared to a complete diet.

Didnt read the rest...point one is blatantly false. On ketogenic diets vs higher carb diets, body composition is improved and muscle loss reduced compared to carb diets. This has been shown in numerous bodybuilding examples, some of them even using the same individual.

You have tons of other false points in your first post along with some good info as well.
    Note that she said "weight" not "muscle." It seems like she's being intentionally misleading. Ketogenic diets yield a much larger loss of water weight than other diets due to glycogen depletion.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is confusing. There is a lot of conflicting information floating around that I tend not to trust anybody who hasn't done peer reviewed, statistically significant clinical research by qualified people. Case in point: I had people at work raving about strawberry seed extract and how for only $20 per bottle it will significantly improve weight loss in women (blah blah blah). Well, I checked it out, and looked up the 'scientific' study their marketing literature cited. You know what I found? There was only one study, and it was conducted by a clinician with a marketing degree (no scientific credentials), and it had a sample size of 6 mice (not statistically significant). And by the way, all the mice were male (so how did they extract conclusions in human women again?) So, anyway, I take this whole subject with a huge grain of salt.

I did have the experience of having what I believe is a competent nutritionist, a college professor with a PhD in nutrition/dietetics that teaches nutrition at UC Davis, give me some advice on the subject of protein intake. I had taken her about six months of weight/food journal data as well as 3 years of yearly blood/lipid panel results. This is what she told me.

She noted an average daily protein intake of between 250 and 300 grams. Basically, that's my normal protein intake and a couple of protein shakes between meals. She calculated my actual protein requirement as well below that and told me that the excess protein was getting turned into fat. Lowering my protein would help me get off the plateau I had hit as far as weight loss and, more importantly, it would help the abnormally high cholesterol readings shown in my blood/lipid panels. (LDL, HDL, triglicerides...the details confuse me.)

Now, I'm not an expert on nutrition, and I have little interest in giving people nutritional advice. But I can say my subsequent experience supported her findings. I began to loose weight again and my cholesterol readings returned to normal. And I'm happy about that. In addition, I'm still experiencing strength gains from my powerlifting regimen.
  • Shadowcub
    Shadowcub Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Simply fascinating!

If I'm reading this correctly, as I drop for 450# to about half that, I would do well to eat 1-1.5 g/kg and work out as well as I am able given my health to preserve as much of my muscle mass as possible. (Cardio? Lifting? Combo?)

Once I'm done losing, I should aim for 250-500 calories above TDEE including eating back all calories on workout days if I want to bulk up. (Emphasis on lifting, I'm assuming. Would a cardio workout count as a "rest day" from lifting?)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    She calculated my actual protein requirement as well below that and told me that the excess protein was getting turned into fat.

Protein does not turn into fat. If dropping protein intake also led to a subsequent reduction in calories, then this would be the cause of your weight loss.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to respond with some interesting points. See below.

2) You are more likely to regain your weight when you start again introducing carbs in your diet (this has to do with insuline and cortisol, explained later)

The second study you quoted below, "Effects of Dietary Composition on Energy Expenditure During Weight-Loss Maintenance" JAMA. 2012;307(24):2627-2634, found that the resting energy expenditure and TEE decreased the most in a low-fat diet and least in a high-fat (though questionable as to whether it was actually ketogenic at those ratios). That would seem to push towards the opposite conclusion, that long-termn weight stability can be maintained while on a ketogenic diet.

For the purposes of "diet", I'm referring to "the way I eat", not "the way I eat right now, and will eventually change", to be clear.
    3) You are weaker on a ketogenic diet when doing cardiovascular or endurance. For non-athletes, however, it may be difficult to notice the difference.

If taken from this: “Blood ketones are directly related to fatigue and perceived effort during exercise in overweight adults adhering to low-carbohydrate diets for weight loss: A pilot study.” J Am Diet Assoc 107: 1792-1796 (2007), there is one major issue with the way the study was set up. It was 2 weeks long. Energy levels on ketogenic diets do not normalize for 2-4 weeks, Phinney et al, Metabolism, 32:769 1983 is a study directly showing the effects of a ketogenic diet on endurance bicyclists which appears to refute the conclusion in this study.
    4) Ketogenic diet causes low insulin, which some say is of help to prevent insulin resistance. They forget to specify that a healthy normocaloric diet does not expose you to the amount of glucose from refined carbs that is the true responsible of pandemy of insuline resistance in our planet. So you prevent something that you should avoid in the first place.

Hey, look - common ground. :)
    5) At the same time, instead, ketogenic diet causes an increase of cortisol. This triggers the same side effects as a prolonged steroid therapy, which you have already heard of: fat accumulation, immunity depression, loss of memory, skin weakness, early aging.

If I recall correctly, the cortisol is a triggering mechanism for gluconeogenesis, which you need to occur when you enter a hypoglycemic state. This is generally brought upon by heavy weightlifting or other stressful, energy-needy activities of the sort that a non-athelete is unlikely to encounter. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    6) Cholesterol levels may increase by around 30% and with it the risk of high cholesterolemy.

An increase in overall LDL may occur, but looking deeper at it through specified LDL testing (VAP, etc.) shows that the makeup of the LDL changes, even while overall LDL Increases, to favor the large, fluffy particles as opposed to small, dense LDL. Also, for this to be a concern, one would have to positively associate cholesterol levels to mortality, which is an extremely tenuous link at this point for everything other than the highest ranges.
    7 ) Acidosis increases bone demineralisation.

WIthin the realm of nutritional ketosis, ketones generally stay in the 0.5-5.0 mmol concentration range (and generally in the lower end of that spectrum). In diabetic ketoacidosis, the levels are 2 times and higher than that.
    8) Excess calcium in the urine (hypercalciuria) occurs due to increased bone demineralisation with acidosis. The pH of the urine changes from neutral to slightly acidic, which can put stress on the kidneys and potentially raise the risk of developing kidney stones.

See above.
    9) You are not developing a healthy eating habit. You are not learning about nutritional informations of your food. Instead, you are tagging some food as "bad" and other food as "good". That means that in the real world you will always have a food obsession and this makes very difficult for a sustained diet.

On the contrary, if one believes that a ketogenic diet is healthy (and, for what it's worth, I find the state of nutritional science to be very poor over the last 50 years, so throwing studies back and forth is doable but somewhat unproductive, I think), then one is very easily developing a healthy eating habit. I have spent more learning about nutrition and establishing baselines as a method of n=1 testing before undertaking this diet than any other things that I've tried. I do believe processed carbs are "bad" - and, if they are, there's no problem labeling them as such.
    In conclusion, ketogenic diet represents an emergency mechanism the body has to survive when he's lacking nutrients. In my opinion, nobody should undertake such a treatment without strict supervision of an expert. It is NOT the adequate diet to follow on your own.

For what it's worth, I keep my doctor in the loop with my dietary habits -- he eats ketogenically, as well.
    It all comes to a risk / benefit estimation , as usual in evidence based medicine. Does a healthy person really need to go into ketosis and undertake these risks to lose weight?

I struggle to define an overweight/obese person as "healthy". Obesity correlates to almost every disease state known to man. Does an otherwise healthy person (who is not trying to lose weight) have to go ketogenic? Maybe not -- there are some people who seem to tolerate carbohydrates better than the rest of us, for sure.
    Let's not forget that ketogenic diet has been developed not for weight loss, but for treating epilepsy.

Actually, the diet was pretty well established long before it was being used as a treatment for epilepsy. The Inuit have been eating that way for a long time, and among public understanding goes back to the 1860's and William Banting (as far as carbohydrate restriction is concerned).
    If you really want to try it, I highly suggest you to consult your physician before undertaking such diet restrictions.

More common ground. :)

I can cite more tomorrow (I don't have access to med journals easily here) at work if you'd like. Either way, thanks for taking the time to respond to this.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    She calculated my actual protein requirement as well below that and told me that the excess protein was getting turned into fat.

Protein does not turn into fat. If dropping protein intake also led to a subsequent reduction in calories, then this would be the cause of your weight loss.

Protein can be converted to glucose which can be converted to fat.

I am inclined to agree with you on the second part of your response, but absent more information it's tough to make a determination.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I am inclined to agree with you on the second part of your response, but absent more information it's tough to make a determination.

your glycogen stores have to be full in order for protein to turn into fat.

there are some amino acids that are soley ketogenic.

overall this is very unlikely to happen though
  • juzaam
    juzaam Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't know that anyone recommends getting rid of carbs and fat. All the people I've seen promoting a very low carb diet encourage people to eat lots of healthy fats and mention that an all lean protein only diet leads to 'rabbit starvation'.

Glad to hear that the kidney thing is bunk.

Hello, thanks for sharing with us :)
    Unfortunately the trend is getting more and more extreme toward severe nutrient restriction aimed to weight loss.
    If u want to know how extreme, please google "Ketogenic Enteric Nutrition".
    I'd suggest, however, not to start the topic on this procedure here. It's just an example to show where the dieting fashion is bringing us.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Theoretically. But there are no real world conditions where this will ever happen to a measurable amount. For protein to be converted to fat, it would have to undergo gluconeogenesis followed by de novo lipogenesis, two highly inefficient processes.
  • wilmaln
    wilmaln Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Very interesting read and also very useful discussion :-)
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bump! Very interesting. Thank you!