Intimidation in the "weight room"

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    1) Get acquainted with an actual lifting plan. New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great start. I also recommend Starting Strength of Strong Lifts 5x5. Having an actual program to follow will help you in the, "I don't know what I'm doing and don't know where to start" aspect of it all.

2) You'll get used to it...it's just like starting a new job or new school or whatever. It can be a little intimidating at first, but ultimately you just get used to seeing the same faces, etc. Who knows...might even make some friends.

3) In my experience, people are pretty focused on their workout...they're really not too worried about what you're doing or why.

4) Anyone I've ever asked for a spot or to check out my form or, "hey...can you show me how to do that lift" has been more than happy to oblige...most people are flattered that you'd ask.

5) Just go do it...
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    OK guys, I'm new to using weights, machines, etc. AT the gym. On top if it all, I'm always SOOOOO intimidated to go into the weight room to do what needs to be done. The only time when I can go there is like during late hours when NO ONE IS THERE (not practical).. Other than that, I normally go into a seperate room to use the small barbells, stability balls.. but I'd RATHER go to the weight room and use the machines/equipment there.

I'm scared because:
    Firstly, I am alone... and it's clear that I don't really know what I"m doing.
    Secondly, this gym is very small knit, and not that much equipment going around.. basically EVERYONE is watching what you're doing at all times because it is that small and limited.
    Thirdly, it's mostly males in there. I know the most obvious choice is to find another gym, but WHY should I have to find a super far gym... and I generally DO like this gym, just not the people.. which sucks.

This sounds like a bunch of excuses, I know.. but trust me...this isn't really funny! I think it makes it 10x more difficult because I'm alone and a beginner? (and NO i'm not finding a gym partner anytime soon).

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST???? SHOULD I REFRAME MY MIND? what hours of the day should I go.. SHOULD I NOT CARE? i DON'T KNOW!!

Thanks

1st. No you should not care if people watch you, they're probably checkin you out anyway. But whatever, are you going to let people get in the way of you reaching your goals??

2nd. If you don't know, or are unsure of how to do something... ask. Anyone around. I have found that people are super friendly to newbies in the gym (because they have been there before, and they like passing on information).

3rd. There will ALWAYS be men in the weight room. It's what they do. But because it is what they do, they are very knowledgeable about how to do stuff and can help you out if they see you doing it wrong.
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    you can always watch some You tube videos on the different things your doing too get idea of form and technique
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I found a gym that doesnt cater to bodybuilders or powerlifters...planet fitness is great for "us" people that want to lose weight and get in shape, not try to be the next Adonis.

:huh:

This is why we can't have nice things. PF is a joke, hey look, pizza day.

:frown:

^^^ What??? They have pizza day? :noway:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I found a gym that doesnt cater to bodybuilders or powerlifters...planet fitness is great for "us" people that want to lose weight and get in shape, not try to be the next Adonis.

Yup.
    http://www.fitbomb.com/2011/01/no-deadlifts-but-heres-another-slice-of.html

This one is dated, but the place I checked out in mid 2012 actually used their pizza day as part of their pitch to me.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I feel ya!

I struggled with getting the courage to hit the free weights. But I've found it's all a mindset thing. Just get your workout plan ready, take a deep breathe to relax, then walk over there and take the next available equipment.

The first time is the hardest, after that it only gets easier and you more confident.
    You can do it, good luck! :happy:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 007FatSlayer
    007FatSlayer Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Find someone in there who knows what they're doing and ask for help...ask for advice on proper form...maybe you might get a good workout buddy/mentor out of it!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Yup.
    http://www.fitbomb.com/2011/01/no-deadlifts-but-heres-another-slice-of.html

This one is dated, but the place I checked out in mid 2012 actually used their pizza day as part of their pitch to me.

:noway: :laugh:
  • Kellihulst
    Kellihulst Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    No more excuses!! Go it and do it. When you need help ask someone in there. Most are eager to help!! If it's a such a big issue get an at home workout program for weights. I have done this for the past few years and am in the best shape of my life without needing a weight room at the gym.
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Good luck with ur ghost bulk goals of 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017........2033,2034
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY get you. I was so terrified the first time I ventured over there. I'm pretty sure I made a really similar post to yours haha. I found that it was helpful to bring a printout of my workout so that I could record the weight I used in between sets. The fact that I was kind of wandering around with a piece of paper and a pen made it obvious that I was a newbie and a couple people offered any help if I wanted it. I also found that people who LOOK nice ARE nice (weird!) so I would ask those people for help so when other people were watching us, they knew I was new and the nice person was showing me how to do things. It definitely took the edge off when I knew that everyone else knew I was new. That's a lot of knew/new but you get me!

I really understand how you feel and I promise after that first time you don't even think twice about sauntering your fine self over to the weights section! You just have to say "today, I will lift" and force yourself over there. Everyone over there had a first day! It's all good.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    You can also watch some gym fail videos on Youtube. Don't do anything you see on the videos and you should be fine. :laugh:
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of really good posts giving very good advice with which I will agree completely.
    In my personal experience, spending time in the weights room was initially very intimidating so i totally understand how you feel!

Now, i spend usually between 1-2hrs,2-4 times a week in the weights room. I researched some lifts i wanted to learn before trying them in the gym, it's always full of men but they never bother me- mostly keep themselves to themselves but i know if i needed any help i could ask and it wouldn't upset them.

very friendly bunch, after venturing in a few times and they realise you're there as a regular, i get acknowledged and smiled at a lot- conversation is limited mostly to " are you using that/how long are you going to be" kind of thing. I do get watched but it doesn't bother me really.

after a bit of research and practicing a few times i find i know when my form is off and can correct it pretty quick, however if i was about to do myself some damage,i know that a trainer or other gym user would advise me-there's always a trainer floating about.

honestly, find the courage to do it- was the best thing i have done for my fitness.
    Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    First, I think everyone of us were intimidated when we started but I think you will find that most people are very helpful and you will soon realize that there isnt anything to be intimidated about.
  • ic3co0l
    ic3co0l Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer.. it's a bit of a RANT:
    Just so y'all know I've READ every single reply on here and I appreciate ALL of the input. I wish I could reply to each and every post!! :D

Update: I am still intimidated... and I do find myself still going late at night although I should really try to go at different times.
    Prior to this post.. there was this one person who helped me use the leg curl machine.. I'd say after that I became a little more embarrassed to tackle the machines because I KNEW it would lead to some interaction.. I know there were good intentions but still!! -.-! Since then, I've been going when there's NO people in there.. to test out / figure out most of the machines myself... I know it's not the best thing, but hey, it worked for me.

Then this ONE time I went late since this post, there were guys there... (actually THERE are only guys there.. i rarely see girls..at all). This time, I didn't care because I knew how to use some of the machines, etc. And I just went for the squat rack first despite the guys there and this guy asked if I needed help setting the bar. You know, I was literally ready for that, because like most people have mentioned.. it's practically normal. I also did feel more confident because like most people have said... I've paid my fees and I have the right to use the equipment !! That mind set has really helped me actually :$

I know interaction in the gym is a common thing, but I just can't be bothered sometimes. I also cannot afford a personal trainer to teach me correct form, nor does this gym have "cheap" personal training.

I'd say, the replies on here really helped me and sometimes I re-read them to get out there!! I know in the future there will be plenty of people probably offering help in some way at the gym and I just have to accept the nature of it. It is a real fear that I have to face or at least gradually. Also, I try to wear things that divert attention away from me..hahah but obviously it's not going to work at the small gym. I don't care so much if they mentally classify me as a "new" person and get on with their workout.. but seriously even when I'm NOT in the weight room and I workout in the other room.. I still get looked at constantly by people who casually all of the sudden want to drink from the water fountain by me.. maybe that's another reason why I don't even want to deal with the weight room. And I hate it when people "look" or "check me out" when I'm in public.. SOOO really when I'm working out in the gym.. the LAST thing I want is for people to "judge me" or "check me out". Does this make sense? heheh

I still do think the MIND is very powerful though, I coudl honestly just not even care about these people or IT'S probably "just in my head" and these people are just mentally classifying me as a beginner, etc. or they really do want to help. I do think most of these people are really average joes who don't know what they're doing, so I can't really for sure say that they're looking out for me safety-wise.. maybe i'll eventually come across people who do.

But thanks again everyone who commented!! things will get better.

P.S /...... pizza day at planet fitness??? not sure if srs. i'M gnna have to say, "only in america"?
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    can sympathise with the intimidation feeling..

only this morning i was sat on the bench curling my forarms and noticed a large woman pass behind me to the weight rack infront of the mirrors. I did another set and then got that feeling someone was watching me only to look behind and see her just holding little weights with arms apart and i just knew she was looking at my butt crack and it made me feel intimidated and abused and a little anoyed at the "CHEEK" of it !!!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I know the most obvious choice is to find another gym

Wait, what?

No, that's not the obvious choice. The obvious choice is to use the gym you are already a member of. Perhaps you could ask a friend or family member to go with you.

edited to add: just saw your newest reply, good for you! It will get easier in time!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

Yeah. You have to watch out for Pizza Day. When you walk in the door they attack you, hold you down and shove it down your throat. If you're lucky enough to get away they throw it at you while you're doing your workout. It's really bad.:noway:

Yes, they do have pizza the first Monday of the month but you don't have to participate. I have been there once in the evening when they had pizza and walked right by it without a second glance. It's really no different than any other gym that has special days for their members. The gym my sister is a manager at used to provide bagels and they even had a wine and cheese night. Does that make that gym bad?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm... Pizza...
  • anthonyflores982
    Options

Good luck with ur ghost bulk goals of 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017........2033,2034

Way to be a douche bag...really encouraging. @$$H@t