Give up alcohol with me?

Options

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I gave that crap up too. Don't want that poison in my system.
  • V3XES
    V3XES Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I bet you don't smoke........As a none smoker you wonder how anyone does. That could be you with plonk. It's not crucial to enjoying yourself and you certainly don't need it, just like you don't need a Snickers.

But if you are a smoker then quit that too. You don't need that either. They're both poison and no -one thinks any the better of you for having them. But believe me, the boost you get when people realise you don't drink AND don't smoke is awesome. !

But then again we are all on here because we have certain weaknesses.......Hey ho !! Good luck matey.....
  • TheViperMan
    TheViperMan Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Eh, no, I'm not going to quit with ya... But I'll wish you luck, and applaud your ability to make a decision like this for yourself. That tends to be the problem around here - people want others to make the decisions for them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I gave that crap up too. Don't want that poison in my system.

lean gains guy seems to be doing just fine with drinking

http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • d9123
    d9123 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    gave it up 9 months ago
  • kyricus
    kyricus Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key. For a "normie".

For me I think that after all these years my off switch just broke. Once I started, it was increasingly hard to stop. Soo....don't get started, at least for me, that's working. AND I'm losing weight much faster too.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you, hope it works out.

I use to drink A LOT back in college, but have limited myself to 1-3 a week. It can be expensive..
  • RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ever since I started going to the gym My body doesn't crave alcohol after I work out if I try to have a beer I feel sick and don't care for it anymore...I drank for 12yrs...I still struggle ,but I cut back a lot.once a week ...I told myself again that I was done..Don't care for it...It's not as fun as it use to be...Don't worry about withdraws unless you were a drinker that stayed up till 3-am and got up at 7am to drink again....If so well :if you don't have a seizure within 5 days your still good is what a nurse told me and probably not going to have any life threatening withdraws.I always quit and slip up sometimes it is a love hate thing,but same with My ex and I finally left him after 10 yrs LOL...Yes I will quit with you I'm trying to give up smoking too which is a double whammy...If I have a additive personality then I can change my addition to health and exercise right?
  • kjmenser
    kjmenser Posts: 30
    Options
    I gave up all alcohol! Do not need the calories and I run 5k's and don't want the poison in my system!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I think what a lot of people don't understand is that some people are moderators and some are abstainers. Or even, some people have things like alcohol that they can have in moderation, and others, like yourself I believe, if you open the bottle you don't have one glass, you have one bottle. Therefore for alcohol you're an abstainer.

Good for you making this change!

I'm working on something similar, I'm just trying to switch to flavoured water to sip on instead. It's easier said than done. Add me if you want!
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Am you going to stop drinking?

"are you kidding me? I'm going to stop waking up"
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    ummm, I'd love to be supportive, and it is an awesome goal to be sure... but...

tumblr_mn2c1x4oJe1rizreso1_500.gif

you're on your own...well, you don't have me...

sorry...I feel bad...

no really I do...

tumblr_mnxj8n3VkK1spqfrso1_500.gif

gotta go...

here's a cute puppy gif to ease my concious.

tumblr_minmlsT0l01r48klmo1_250.gif
  • mizpoke
    mizpoke Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love wine. G&T. A bottle of cold lager. Guinness. Hmm, could go on.
    My rule is not to drink by myself. Maybe not a help for your situation, but works for me.
    Have also found that because I don't drink habitually, I only want maybe 2 or max 3 glasses when I am socializing, and often I will have sparkling water instead. Find I much prefer having a clear head and no hangover too!
    Also for cooking, I keep marsala, sherry and vermouth, so am not tempted to open a bottle of wine to glug!

I used to drink 4-5 pints of beer, and think nothing of a bottle or two of wine of an evening.

Am sure you will find strategies to replace that evening bouteille!
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I'm really wanting to do this myself as well. Drank too much the last two weeks since hubby came home. We've been having too much fun and I haven't worked out and have been eating like crap because that is what drinking does to me. Plus we are trying to get pregnant and I am sure that drinking doesn't help. So, I am on board with ya!
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You are right in the "sweet spot" of your journey -- 45 lbs lost, and the inkling that maybe drastically cutting back on the alcohol consumption may have some really positive health benefits! Give it a try and see if your sleep improves, metabolism improves, skin appearance, etc, etc. Reducing those "empty" 500 calories a day (bottle / or so) - you'll be amazed how it affects your overall strategy for a new healthy liefstyle.

I was in your same position about 18 months ago -- gave up my drinking, except for perhaps about 6oz of really good red per week, with an awesome steak or pasta dinner. The cravings definitely stop after a while, and the benefits were definitely appreciated on a daily basis.

Drink something else (calorie free, preferrable) in that awesome wine glass, while cooking and relaxing after a long day. I found that the combination of Lipton diet green tea and Diet Gingerale, poured into a wine glass -- looks just the same as a nice chardonnay. I sip on that every night. I bring it to parties & family gatherings, too. No one knows its not wine.

Another benefit to NOT drinking while out -- no chance for a devastating DUI charge! In our state, the limit was just lowered to .08 -- which for me would be about 2-3 drinks, which I used to do with no problem. Now, it's too much of a gamble, and not worth the embarrassment of a "caught-ya." Let's face it -- too many of us got away with socially drinking and driving for too long. It's the socially responsible thing to do, and it you look around -- all the responsible people are just giving it up.
  • peclarkjr
    peclarkjr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I gave it up as well. For me it has proven key to healthy weight loss. Seems like my system gets really screwed up from the Alcohol sugars.
  • corwinblack
    Options
    I have a glass of whisky (Makers Mark - 3-4 shots) per night - It helps me release the tension of the day and ready myself for another hard day in the morning. I really want to quit; however, I'm not sure that I'm strong enough to quit. I'm not sure how horrible drinking one glass of whisky is for my health. I currently weigh 203 lbs and am 6'3''; however, I have been lifting and run 2.25 miles per day during the week. Healthy to stop (potential liver issues down the road) or healthy to have that amount every day? Help!
  • NathanFronk
    NathanFronk Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Isn't a glass of wine only about 120 calories? Walk an extra 1500 steps during the day and enjoy your glass of wine.

As far as sleeping peacefully...

Count sheep jumping over glasses of wine.
  • quitter1973
    quitter1973 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 15- feel so much better.

Good Luck on your journey!
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat my on ****