Intimidation in the "weight room"

Options
124»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I found a gym that doesnt cater to bodybuilders or powerlifters...planet fitness is great for "us" people that want to lose weight and get in shape, not try to be the next Adonis.

why are people that want to lift heavy immediately classified as "bodybuilders" "meatheads" or "Adonis" I lift heavy because I like it and I like the strength gains..not because I want to be the next "Adonis" ....geez....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i sense a slight troll thread here...

but here is my two cents...

Walk in there like you own the place and don't give an F what someone else thinks. You really think the guy that is deadlifting 375 pounds is looking at you and trying to figure out a way to screw with you ...? Trust me when you are lifting you are concentrating on one thing..getting the rep up with good form, and then doing the next one...you are not looking at someone out of the corner of your eye and thinking "look at this D-Bag.."

Also, I like it when chicks and/or newbies come into the free weight section...too may times i see them doing BS machine work or 5 pound dumbbells with like 50 reps...

This is not directed at you OP but sometimes i think people must think that because they walk into a weight room that they are the immediate center of attention ......I hardly have time to look around when I am lifting...and the only time I do is when I am resting..

So walk in there like you own it and start killing it...trust me, no one will notice or care....
  • anthonyflores982
    Options
    Ive seen the looks I got at a Golds gym or other places like that...I want to go work out and lose the fat that I have obtained...not get judeged by wanna be fitness guru's. At PF, I dont get judged...its a relaxing atmosphere. An encouraging atmosphere...i believe they cater to those looking to cut...not to bulk.

Since starting on 13 May, I am roughly -18 from my starting weight. PF has helped.
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    So this morning I brought a contraption with me to help me do pull ups. We don't have a pull up assist machine and I'm working on getting a pull up done. It's part of the workout that I am doing right now. 3 guys offered to help me figure out how to set up my contraption and gave me pointers. One guy was actually impressed with what I bought saying it was 'gym grade'. I find everyone in my gym (at 5:15 am that is) to be focused and dedicated up in the weight room. I see the same people over and over, have learned some of their names and if not we do the head nod/hi thing, and they have helped me out before when I need someone to show me something I'm having trouble with.

There are videos and books, etc to show how to 'properly' do something. If you need something more hands on, could you consider 1 session with a personal trainer to get you familiar with the weights and how to use them so you don't get hurt? It may be unrealistic, but I've found that a good run through and a set up have helped me immensely to see how the mechanics work and how to not hurt myself.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I used to be so nervous to go on that side of the gym, desperately wanted to go use the weights but couldn't get past the nerves. I quit the big gym that I was going to and instead joined a super small, 24 hour gym. I found the Live Fit Trainer program on bodybuilding.com and studied everything so I had a clear cut plan to do once I got in there. I turned on my music and just got in there and did what the plan was for each day. I'm now on Week 4, go almost everyday. You just have to remember that all those guys over there are there for the same reason that you are. They were beginners at one point too and maybe felt a little nervous to get started also. You have just as much right to be there as anyone else. Just focus on you and what you are there to do. Chances are they are not even paying any attention to you as they are focusing on their workout.
  • cw822
    cw822 Posts: 107
    Options
    Just walk in there like u own the place...

NOT this! Great way to put people off.
  • jenjones2011
    jenjones2011 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way - I am so intimidated of the "weight room" -- not necessarily because I don't know how to use the machines, but more so because I'm not very strong and I feel dumb only lifting "the bar" or tiny dumb bells or if I need to make some stupid grunting noise or silly face because I'm pushing myself with weight lifting but am too embarrassed to show others these things.

I found that I just couldn't get over my ego but knew I needed to do something so I actually bought Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and also her No More Trouble Zones DVDs and do them at home. They are circuit training of Strength, cardio and abs (6 minute circuits, multiple circuits) which maximize weight loss and also toning. I have already gotten stronger and can start to see muscle definition and have lost inches - all with my 5 lb dumbbells in my own home.

Maybe try a personal trainer at the gym for a few sessions to show you the ropes and this might also help others see you are new and help you to become part of the community. Or buy the DVDs if you have enough self motivation!

Good luck!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I suggest planning out your workouts each day so your not walking around like you are lost. It would be smart to do some research on lifting and how to use proper form before you go as well. They actually have apps you can get on your phone that help with this. I have FitnessTrainer on mine and refer to it when I want to make sure i'm using good form or to look up different exercises. Your confidence will come in time, you are just a little intimidated now which is normal. You have got to have a better mind set, think positive. Go in, **** **** up and leave. You got this!
  • EvilDollee
    EvilDollee Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I used to get nervous in the weight area too but I found that if someone was looking, I would just make eye contact with them and they naturally look away and if they continue to look, I'd just stare back and be the creepy one instead. O_O
  • effrontery
    effrontery Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jen's post earlier about getting one session in with a trainer. For years I avoided the weight room, or would go and do bicep curls and scurry out, but kind of look longingly at the machines because I really wanted to try them. About four months ago, I joined Planet Fitness, and I got determined I was going to do it, so I asked the guy at the front desk to show me the circuit. I was awkward and embarrassed and made a lot of mistakes, but I got a basic understanding of how to use the equipment, and it has made *all* the difference. I weight train at least three days a week now, and it's my favorite workout.

Once you have that basic understanding of the equipment works, that intimidation factor, I would bet you, will go away. Then you'll just go in, do your thing, and get it done, like the other folks in the room are doing. And trust me, if I can do it, you can too. Wish you all kinds of luck, let us know how it goes!
  • Puffingmuffin
    Puffingmuffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm really embarrassed as well. My gym is pretty small and most of the time it's only the guys doing the weights. Well, I've decided to invest in a barbell set (50kg) for my room. I don't like to do squats in the gym. Prefer to do it at home too.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It's just your ego. You have to realize the majority of people genuinely do not care about you, they're too busy with their life. You could literally walk outside, combust, crap yourself and die, and people would not even stop. Just go lift some weights.
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It's just your ego. You have to realize the majority of people genuinely do not care about you, they're too busy with their life. You could literally walk outside, combust, crap yourself and die, and people would not even stop. Just go lift some weights.

This........ Agreed
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Just do it. In 6 months people will be intimidated by you! :drinker:
  • ic3co0l
    ic3co0l Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Another update.. it's obviously getting better with time. The more you face the fear, the easier it gets.

But using the squat rack at my gym is HELLA awkward. The factors could be, the neighborhood, city, age, sex, mentality, stigma towards women using weights, etc.. but after working out for 2 months there.. I can definitely conclude that!! I don't care what some of the comments say, YES people ARE looking no matter what... and it's one of those things that I can't control. Yes, I can ignore them, but the initial staring .. puts me off.

Hence, I have decided that going at night is the best time for me as of right now and has been the BEST TIME! I always get what I need to get done.. sure there are some people.. but it's only less than 3.. average 1 (sometimes none). This is unfortunate, but hopefully once I got a set program I can kill it at the gym any time of the day... just not sure about the squat rack... well there's only two at this gym. If there were more squat racks and the gym was a large open space, I could see how using a squat rack would be less attention provoking! but ya, that's not in my case.

Thanks everyone for the replies! i've read every single one of them and I agree with 97% of it!! ;)
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I suggest planning out your workouts each day so your not walking around like you are lost. It would be smart to do some research on lifting and how to use proper form before you go as well. They actually have apps you can get on your phone that help with this. I have FitnessTrainer on mine and refer to it when I want to make sure i'm using good form or to look up different exercises. Your confidence will come in time, you are just a little intimidated now which is normal. You have got to have a better mind set, think positive. Go in, **** **** up and leave. You got this!
    I definitely agree with this. For a while I was just going in, doing my Starting Strength routine and just kind of guessing on the weights I should use on the warmup sets. I wasn't very consistent with the warm up weights at all.

I recently started (5 weeks ago) a 5-3-1 program which uses a specific % of your one rep max for lifts in each set you do. There was no way I was going to remember the weights for each set, so I bought a couple of mini composition notebooks, where I keep track of the prescribed weight for each exercise. Its small, I'm not constantly going in with a single sheet of paper that inevitably gets ripped/crumpled/lost between workouts, and I can quickly tell what I need to do next.

Sure, I could probably use an app, but I'd rather leave my phone in the locker and not bother with the added distraction of having something else to take around with me. Plus, this morning I managed to drop a 45 lb dumbell on my notebook, no damage done, but it would have really sucked if my notebook was an app...
  • samanthaspears
    samanthaspears Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a chick too and know exactly how you feel. I watched some weight lifting tutorials on youtube to prepare myself, then walked in there like I owned the place. If you're confident you'll be less intimidated and I find the men are more willing to share the space that way.