My "old lady" story

Options
jtoms97
jtoms97 Posts: 4 Member
I am a 56 year old woman. I am 5'7" and at my heaviest I weighed 172 lbs. I had decided that I it was my lot to just be a "fat old lady", after all I had four grandchildren, been through menopause and all the TV commercials told me losing weight after forty was all but impossible! I had always been active and my husband and I are 'do it yourselfers' repairing and refinishing furniture and such. During one of our projects I leaned over to pick up a tool and threw out my back! That was my wake-up call. One of my daughters had convinced me to sign on to MFP some six months earlier, but I had never really worked it. I decided that day to get on board and seriously start working the program. A little less than a year later, I am 37 pounds lighter and I feel wonderful! Just wanted to share so those out there who think they're "too old" to lose weight and feel great... it's never too late!!! Oh, and my husband loves it too!!!

Replies

• sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Congrats & great job!!! :flowerforyou:
  • rwhyte12
    rwhyte12 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your journey so far.
  • susan_skipper
    Options
    I am 58 and found it almost impossible to lose weight. When I went through menopause my weight just kept going up. Then I heard about this site and thought I would give it a try. After almost 6 months of counting calories, weighing my food and logging into here, I have lost 33lbs. I was amazed at how many calories I was probably eating without realizing it. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and have learned to eat properly so I am eating quite a bit of food and staying within those 1200 calories. I think I can count on one hand the number of times I have gone over my limit. I never thought I would lose all of this weight.
  • rachdun
    rachdun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on what you've achieved
  • giantruss
    giantruss Posts: 100
    Options
    well done ladies !! :)
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    you're both very, very cool!
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    That's really inspiring!

And it makes me a little bit embarrassed because I'm nearly 20 and I weigh 170 pounds and that's not even my highest weight.I used to weigh 195 lbs.
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Absolutely amazing what one can do when excuses are thrown out and dedication kicks in! Congrats to you!
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yay for us "old ladies"!! I'm 54 and work hard every day to not be a frumpy, fat old lady. It's not easy...but oh so worth it. My hubby also enjoys the results of my efforts! ;-).
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo!! Great story and congratulations!!
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Hard work and mindfulness pays off at any age!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Congrats! But you're not an old lady.... you're practically a baby. I have an 87 year old friend who power walks, maintains a plot in a community garden, and flies to health food conferences. Age is just a number. You're proof that your life is what you make it.
  • hinzee4
    hinzee4 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I hope to be there one day!! Thanks for the post!
  • sunshinestater
    sunshinestater Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    What great stories! You ladies inspire me. I'm a year and a half away from 50 and committed to getting healthy for the second half of life. My parents both had heart attacks and died in their mid 50s, so I'm determined not to follow in their footsteps. I love seeing the success stories in this age group.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    YOUR FABULOUS!!
    it sure gets tough as we get older,
    we really have to try harder!
    WAY TO GO!
  • rlkilgo
    rlkilgo Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    To Susan Skipper---
    I understand the not realizing how many calories you were eating. I thought I was doing ok until I started keeping up with the calories :huh: I was eating like a maniac :laugh: I am also doing the 1200 calories and I have lost 27 pounds since January. I am 50 years ol. :happy:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You took the bull by the horns!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Congratulations that's fantastic!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!