Female Lifters

Options
Hi Ladies - For all you lifters out there, how did you start? I currently do cardio, but I'd like to build in more lifting early in the game. Did you start with machines, a trainer, etc? Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    start with a trainer who will show you proper form on free weights and compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press and overhead press.

good routines are stronglifts.com and starting strength. some are also going to recommend new rules of lifting for women. it has some good info but IMO the routine starts to get ridiculously complicated around stage 3.
  • StrongAtLast
    StrongAtLast Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I started, you didn't have to pay for trainers, it was part of the gym..so basically I had a personal trainer. i think it's worth the money to get the form correct so you don't hurt yourself.
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I started getting organized after I read 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women.' It's a great read and has a program to get you started. Check it out!

:flowerforyou:
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been doing some basic starting strength deadlifts, squats, bench press and overhead press... and have just bought the starting strength book for kindle. You can learn more about the routine here:

http://blackironbeast.com/starting-strength

It is well worth investing in a session at the gym with someone who can teach you proper form to begin with.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My love for lifting started with ChaLEAN Extreme. Great program and highly recommended if you are just starting out.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I started with StrongLifts. I couldn't afford a trainer, so I watched a ton of form videos. And then watched them again.

I also started small...I'd never lifted any type of barbell, and was gifted a standard bar and a few plates to get started. I fell in love immediately...and worked my way up weight-wise slowly.

I enjoy the simplicity of the StrongLifts program, and there is also a group here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Good reading.
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the Chalean Extreme. You only need a couple of hand weights plus she does a great job mixing in cardio. You can also look into Cathe's XTrain.
  • Jennms85
    Jennms85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've never lifted before discover chalean extreme. Currently completing the first phase and am pleased with results. I think it's a great program for someone who doesn't know where to begin. Is expensive on beachbody website, found my set for 40 on eBay. The weights are another investment but soo worth it. Add me if you'd like :smile:
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I started with a trainer, whom I still employ once a week (he is now attempting to teach me clean & jerks). I do weights work outs 4 times a week, but I still find his help valuable as he pushes me to lift heavier and keeps my work outs fresh.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I started getting organized after I read 'The New Rules of Lifting for Women.' It's a great read and has a program to get you started. Check it out!

:flowerforyou:

^ Me too! Got the book, read it, and am currently following their instructions on technique and doing the program offered. My fiance 'spots' me to make sure my form is correct. Built up my weights collection pretty fast lol. Definitely recommend checking out NROL: For Women. :-)
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you and I have just this week started stronglifts 5x5. You can sign up for free and you get a load of info sent to you, but there is a group for women doing stronglifts on mfp with an amazing summary of what you need to know.

The scariest thing was braving the free weight room but I just asked one of the trainers to spare 10 mins showing me the correct form for each lift (there are 5 total) and it was fine. You even get an app!!

I would highly recommend it :)
  • baileypep
    baileypep Posts: 1
    Options
    I highly recommend starting with a trainer. It can get pricey, but if you are able to do it for at least a short while, it is very helpful. The trainer will teach you the basics of lifting and proper form and show you workouts that you would never attempt to do on your own. I worked with a trainer for about 3 months and throughout the time I did my own research so that I could begin to put together a plan on my own and understand form on my own, etc. One thing to note is to be selective in your trainer. For me it was an emotional decision, if it didn't feel right to work with the person, it probably isn't right. Be sure that your trainer is interested in your success.

Good luck to you!
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I started with a trainer to show me how to lift with proper form and now I do a full body heavy weight work out 3 times a week with some cardio thrown in for good measure.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I started with someone from the gym setting up a circuit for me on the machines. I wouldn't call her a trainer though and I know it was the basic routine they give everyone. But it was my foot in the door to "that side" of the gym. It didn't take long before I was using the dumbbells for more things and then after that I put on my big girl panties and stepped in to the squat rack. I love it and knew I would so am very happy I got started.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I read New Rules of Lifting for Women. I bought a weight set, barbells, dumbbells, and weights on Craigslist. With the info from the book, and watching videos on proper form on Youtube, I did 3 stages of the New Rules then switched to Nia Shanks program.
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    deleted for double post...
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I got the weight bug after doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30. I wanted something that was equally challenging but with fewer moves, which meant heavier weights. I purchased New Rules of Lifting for Womem. I moved on after doing the first stage a couple times because I like the big, compound, simple moves and NROL4W was getting a little complicated. Then I read Strong Lifts 5x5 and Starting Strength for routine and form. Plus watched a bazillion form videos and hired a powerlifting trainer for three sessions to watch and critique my form. I still rewatch form videos and record my lifts to analyze between sets to see what I can fix.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I got the new rules of lifting for women book, then started stronglifts. The lifts make sense, you only have to get the form right on 5 moves, and I knew that I could talk my husband into it.

I LOVE stronglifts! The changes in my arms and back are incredible, and my bum and tummy are getting there too. I go three times a week. I just used form videos to get started, but I also ended up stalling way early on squats because of it. A little be off in form meant that I couldn't progress and wasted several weeks. Get a trainer if you can, but make sure that they have a degree in something (not just a weekend cert class), and are willing to show you the moves in the program that YOU want. They may tell you to lift light weights a million times or to do a hybrid like ChaleanX, which is ok if that is what you want, but not ok if you really want to learn about lifting heavy.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I started with machines, but recently wanted to branch out to using free-weights. Thanks to one of my awesome MFP friends, I started a new dumbbell routine this week and I love it! I was nervous to get started because I am inexperienced, but a bit of research and the help of YouTube helped me gain the confidence to give it a shot.

Here's the link to the plan:
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/heavylight-workout/

I have tutorial videos saved on my phone. I set up with my dumbbells and a bench and I follow the routine while referring to the videos if I'm unsure. I still use a few machines and I do 30 minutes of cardio daily as well.
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Started with free weights....read everything you can get your hands on.