Calling All BODYBUILDERS!

Options
Supplements????

I just got an online trainer to help me reach my goal composition (somewhere between a bikini and figure build). Right now I'm focused on lowering my body fat so, she suggested BCAA and L-Carnitine as my supps? BCAA is obvious to me but I haven't read too much on L-Carnitine? What are you thoughts on this?

Also I'm low on funds so I need to know what supps are really worth the money. Of the big three Whey protein, Creatine, and Glutamine, and those suggested by my trainer which ones do I REALLY need?

Last question, whats the difference between caffeine and uppers? Is one better than the other?

EDIT - I should have said fat burner instead of upper

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You might be able to find protein with stuff like creatine and glutamine already in it.

There isn't a difference between caffeine and uppers. Caffeine is an upper, if you're using "upper" as slang for a stimulant. There are other stimulants on the market, but I don't know a lot about them.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    the only supps that aren't complete bs imo are creatine, protein, and a multi. i personally don't even take protein because i get plenty from my food. A good diet > supplements
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You might be able to find protein with stuff like creatine and glutamine already in it.

There isn't a difference between caffeine and uppers. Caffeine is an upper, if you're using "upper" as slang for a stimulant. There are other stimulants on the market, but I don't know a lot about them.

I think I should have said fat burners instead of uppers. I mean caffeine found in coffee, tea, caffeine pills vs. stuff on the market targeting fitness and calorie burn.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you don't really need any supplements, but as for useful ones:

Whey protein if you don't get your protein target through whole foods, or for convenience.
    Multivitamin
    Fish oil
    Creatine

There's mixed opinion/reviews on BCAAs in the presence of adequate protein intake.

I wouldn't bother with Glutamine at all.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options

Whey protein if you don't get your protein target through whole foods, or for convenience.
    Multivitamin
    Fish oil
    Creatine

There's mixed opinion/reviews on BCAAs in the presence of adequate protein intake.

That is what I take. I will use a pre-workout as well if I need the extra energy for my workout.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Multivitamin
    Fish oil
    Creatine

That is what I take. I will use a pre-workout as well if I need the extra energy for my workout.

agreed.

edited because apparently I suck at quoting today.
  • kooltray87
    Options

Multivitamin
    Fish oil
    Creatine

Good! those are the only ones I'm currently taking lol I'm currently taking Creatine pills. Is there any big difference between pills or powder?
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Fat burners seem counter intuitive if your in a gaining phase. Unless your using them just for energy.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,611 Member
    Options
    Supplements????

I just got an online trainer to help me reach my goal composition (somewhere between a bikini and figure build). Right now I'm focused on lowering my body fat so, she suggested BCAA and L-Carnitine as my supps? BCAA is obvious to me but I haven't read too much on L-Carnitine? What are you thoughts on this?

Also I'm low on funds so I need to know what supps are really worth the money. Of the big three Whey protein, Creatine, and Glutamine, and those suggested by my trainer which ones do I REALLY need?

Last question, whats the difference between caffeine and uppers? Is one better than the other?

EDIT - I should have said fat burner instead of upper
    Protein.
    And both caffeine and fat burners both contain more stimulants than anything else.

From my experience and research, supplements attribute to about 1%-2% of overall body composition whether losing weight, on a cut, gaining weight etc. It's more important that the food you consume is spot on compared to supplements when it comes to competition shape.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Multivitamin
    Fish oil
    Creatine

agreed.

edited because apparently I suck at quoting today.

This, except I rarely have whey protein, unless as above I've missed out on protein through the rest of my food.... and I don't actually bother with the rest.

You can argue about BCAAs if you want but we're already having them in our food anyway?

Hey! I've just thought of another way you could save money!....
  • kooltray87
    Options

This, except I rarely have whey protein, unless as above I've missed out on protein through the rest of my food.... and I don't actually bother with the rest.

You can argue about BCAAs if you want but we're already having them in our food anyway?

Hey! I've just thought of another way you could save money!....

lol Thanks everyone! As far as food and cooking of food I suck :-( I'll be adding nutrition guidance in with my training soon, so hopefully that will help decrease my dependence on supplements.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Lyle has a good article on supplements, but I'm having trouble with is site for some reason...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Lyle has a good article on supplements, but I'm having trouble with is site for some reason...

His end
  • kooltray87
    Options
    Thanks for the sites! I'll look them all up once I get home.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary.