How can I make my smoothies more filling?

Options
2»

Replies

• firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    How can I make my smoothies more filling?

saw dust...this is quite filing...not so tasty.

:noway: :laugh:
  • BranMuffin947
    BranMuffin947 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I agree with more yogurt, less OJ. I use yogurt, almond milk (or any kind I have), spinach, frozen fruit, and what I think you should add is **flaxseed/chia seed mixture** the brand is Beveri but I'm sure there are different brands just as good. Try chia seeds pure, they thicken up your smoothie when they gel up :-)
  • Poppiefresh
    Poppiefresh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I put some frozen fruit, flax seed and oats in my blender the night before and store in my fridge. The moisture from the defrosting fruit helps soften the oats so they blend smoother when I add everything else in the morning.
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    I sometimes add coconut oil or avocado to mine for fat. My usual is blueberries, spinach, coconut oil, protein powder and water.

My smoothie is really similar to yours, except with coconut butter instead of coconut oil, and eggs instead of protein powder
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I use oats.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    You need more protein and bulk.

Add cottage cheese! My standard recipe is:

1c 2% milk
    1/4c cottage cheese, full fat
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1c frozen strawberry, partially defrosted (this acts like ice, to thicken it)
    1/3c wild blueberry
    A few ice cubes

This makes about 3-4 cups. Very filling. I drink it around 8am, and have lunch around 1pm.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'd say take your recipe from this:

3 oz (1/3ish cup regular OJ)
    handful spinach
    1/2 cup or 1 cup of yogurt
    ice

to something like this:
    1/2 medium banana
    1/2 cup full pulp OJ (not from concentrate)
    1/4 cup cooked steel cut rolled oats
    1 scoop unflavored/vanilla/chocolate protein isolate powder (usually 22 - 30g protein per scoop, protein keeps you fuller longer)
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    either 1/2 cup or 1 cup of frozen fruit of your choice (removes the need for ice)

You can also had 1-2 tbsp of yogurt and a cup of milk if you really want to as it will help to thin it out, I used to have ones like this when I made smoothies for breakfast. I find that I feel fuller eating a cup of egg whites with 1/4 skim mozzarella and a slice of buttered ancient grain toast instead of a smoothie if that is do-able for you?
  • Jlan11
    Jlan11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One cup plain Greek yogurt has 23 grams protein and 140 calories. Even half a cup of Greek yogurt is incredibly filling. I used to buy protein powder, but I could never get over the taste. I buy the plain greek yogurt add stevia and fruit and it tastes great! Sometimes that is all I eat for lunch and it keeps me full for hours.
  • MelissaHopeG
    MelissaHopeG Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't like to use whey because its genetically created, but I've found hemp protein powder to work just as well. My normal smoothie doesn't include any fruit at all because I like to have fruit as snacks and if its in the smoothie too I end up with wayyyyy too many sugar calories.

My normal smoothies contain a cup of almond milk, spinach or kale, hemp protein, flax seed and cinnamon for flavor. Sometimes I add avocado to make it more creamy, that's really good! Another good recipe is vanilla hemp protein, almond milk, sweet potato, flax and pumpkin pie spice! Its like pumpkin pie in a cup, yum!
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Fat free milk has 12 grams of sugar per serving.....use unsweetened almond milk or light soy instead.
  • katezx
    katezx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ive just made a raspberry smoothie:

skimmed milk
    frozen raspberries
    low fat greek yoghurt!!
    yum :D
  • Jlan11
    Jlan11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    One cup plain Greek yogurt has 23 grams protein and 140 calories. Even half a cup of Greek yogurt is incredibly filling. I used to buy protein powder, but I could never get over the taste. I buy the plain greek yogurt add stevia and fruit and it tastes great! Sometimes that is all I eat for lunch and it keeps me full for hours.
  • radcliff17
    radcliff17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Avacado ...and it won't affect the taste. I put it in every smoothie no matter what the fruit but it has healthy fat,.,,but it's still fat....
  • Mo3RoseWhite
    Options
    Add some flax-seed to your smoothies and protein shakes. Flax-seeds really help keep you full a lot longer. I put it in not only my smoothies and protein shakes, I put it in my cereal, oatmeal, baking, and my soups.

Also adding in lots of fruits, spinach, and whey protein powder really helps as well. My favorite to make is a spinach peanut butter smoothie for any part of the day. Be sure to give it a try sometime if you haven't already. That especially helps keep you full a lot longer...Well, at least for me it does haha.

Hope I was able to help you out some. Have a great day! :)
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BANANA! and chia seeds, flax seeds, or hemp protein.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My "meal" smoothie is.... banana, almond/coconut milk (or whole milk, fat keeps you fuller longer!), frozen strawberries, frozen blueberries, a handful of spinach or kale, flax seed meal, and 2 tbsp pb. Yeah it has a few calories but it keeps me full for a long time! And really healthy for you. :)