Foods to avoid before running

Options
2»

Replies

• nicoleashley_24
    nicoleashley_24 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For me, anything dairy... gag.
    Or on an empty stomach, green tea or black coffee. Also gag.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Milk was a bad choice...
    1se9s3.gif
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    How do you all feel about protein, like an egg or 2 before a run?
  • rachso
    rachso Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just don't eat a good hour before going. Oh and NEVER drink any kind of juice..huge mistake
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat anything before a run or else I get the dreaded trots (I run in the morning so it isn't hard to avoid eating). If I ran in the evening or afternoon, I would need at least 4 hours of no food to function.

The usual recommendations I've seen for runners suggest avoiding fiber-rich or fatty foods... But I suspect this is highly individualized and you might get the best results by keeping a detailed exercise diary.
  • fabiomuralha
    fabiomuralha Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    A friend told me that if you drink an energy drink before a work out/run, it is better because you burn more calories.. that may be the case but it also made me sick afterwards... just personal preference, I do not advise this.

I'm not a fan of energy drinks, but I know some people who swear by them. I'm all about the water! And coffee...coffee is my energy drink!

Coffee =) That's awesome, for me 30min(when I can) before start to run I drink a cup..
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    bananas, eggs and anything acidic always want to come back for another visit with me :P
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I think they move on a little faster than some foods and since you say an egg or two the volume would be low, so I would worry a little less about the timing. I would still want it to be a half hour or so just in case and I am assuming you mean just an egg; if there is cheese or meat mixed in then I would want an hour.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

I would avoid too much protein before a run, have your protein after. A little doesn't hurt but you really need some carbs. With that said, I usually have a couple of eggs along with oatmeal and a banana before a morning run. But I make sure to be done eating at least an hour before running.
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I simply don't eat closer to about an hour before I run. If I have to eat, I take something small like an energy bar. Glucose gel shot followed with water is ok anytime.

Same, except there's always a 2 hour gap minimum between my last bite and my workout.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I simply don't eat closer to about an hour before I run. If I have to eat, I take something small like an energy bar. Glucose gel shot followed with water is ok anytime.

Yep.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have a quick handful of nuts or granola right before - I find if I have something in my stomach when I start it helps me pace myself better, but I am only running 4-6 miles a run right now. I've gotten used to running after eating the more I do it though (it used to really bother me), due to my summer runs needing to be later in the evening so the dog doesn't overheat!
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    I have no trouble running within 30 min of eating dinner. Sometimes I'll only eat half of my dinner and then heat up the other half when I return. I like to run at 7 or later, but I need to feed the fam before I go. It works for my schedule and gives me energy. I seem to be in the minority on this one, LOL. I have not found anything that bothers me yet!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Habanjero cheese is a big no-no. Also bananas.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options

I would avoid too much protein before a run, have your protein after. A little doesn't hurt but you really need some carbs. With that said, I usually have a couple of eggs along with oatmeal and a banana before a morning run. But I make sure to be done eating at least an hour before running.

Eggs and a banana is exactly what I was thinking. I'm more worried about exercise-induced hypoglycemia than anything.