Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calories burned: what the elliptical says or what MFP says?

Newbie question: So this morning, I worked out on the elliptical (including putting in my weight/age) at the gym. It told me I burned 378 calories. So.. when I enter 40 minutes on the elliptical on MFP it gives me over 500 calories burned. A big difference! I am just wondering what most people trust more? I know on MFP exercise log there are a variety of things listed, with different intensities. So I am thinking that variability gives a lot of room for error. Are the machines right? What do you guys think?

Replies

• KYT1121
    KYT1121 Posts: 58 Member
    Did you enter your particulars (age, height, weight) on the elliptical? If not, I'd go with what MFP says. Personally I'd also recommend a heart rate monitor (HRM) for the most accuracy.
  • dcmitchell01
    dcmitchell01 Posts: 76 Member
    I did enter age and weight in the elliptical. Yeah, I need to get a HRM, I do know that the elliptical did have a HRM, and said my average HR was 150 (yeah, pretty out of shape :) ). I will google a calories burned calculator and see what it says.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    I put all my info in when I am working on a machine as well as I wear a HRM. I find that the machine is always higher by anywhere from 30-100 calories.
  • dcmitchell01
    http://www.calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

I got 351 - so it seems I should go with what the elliptical said (378). Given an expected margin of error.
  • dcmitchell01
    I put all my info in when I am working on a machine as well as I wear a HRM. I find that the machine is always higher by anywhere from 30-100 calories.

that is sort of what I found - 30 over I can live with, 100 - that's a lot.. Do you wear a continuous monitor with a chest strap, or just the one you check intermittently on the wrist?
  • kellykw
    kellykw Posts: 184 Member
    I'd pick the lower of the two, just because I'd rather underestimate calories burned than overestimate them.
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Good for you for asking about this! I finally bought a HRM b/c MFP was always beyond out for me. I found a Polar HRM for $50 at Sears. Best investment EVER!
  • ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Good for you for asking about this! I finally bought a HRM b/c MFP was always beyond out for me. I found a Polar HRM for $50 at Sears. Best investment EVER!

I got a polar too and it was worth the investment for sure. MFP over estimates the calories.
  • hardyjessicag
    hardyjessicag Posts: 93 Member
    Before I got my HRM, I want by what the elliptical/treadmill said.

I would enter my age, and I would enter my weight as a couple pounds lighter than I was ( I figured it would help the burn be more accurate). After I got my HRM, I did notice that it was off by a good bit.

Example: I burned 750 calories according to the treadmill, but my HRM said I burned 615. So there's a bit of a difference.

So maybe when you do your calorie total, subtract about 20 % from it for a more accurate total?
  • toronto81
    toronto81 Posts: 17 Member
    I find both MFP and the machines at the gym to be very inaccurate for me. So I bought a Polar heart rate monitor to know exactly how things are going. Love it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,857 Member
    I wouldn't trust either. I bought an HRM a few weeks ago. My typical workout is 65 minutes on the elliptical targettng a heart rate of 140. I will sprint for 20 seconds whenever my heart rate is lower.

Polar FT4: 540 cals plus or minus 10
    Machine: 780 cals plus or minus 30
    MFP: 926 cals

I trust the HRM. This certainly explains why my weight loss has been slow, as I eat back exercise calories.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Never trust MFP.
    For example last night I did a Zumba class and my HRM told me I burned 370ish calories.
    Entered on MFP it tried to give me 1,000.

At the very least I always cut the MFP total in half if I don't happen to have my HRM on .
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    The machines are calibrated based on averages. Since my size and weight is pretty average, I figure it's accurate enough for my purpose. I don't use MFP's calculation if I have the number from the machines.