Craving and Giving In

Options
So today I was doing good until I got home from work and then it all went downhill. I had cake, brownies, cookies, starburst, and frosting. I feel so sick right now. Needless to say I'm done with sweets till at least August after today. Anyone else ever get these cravings they can't control?

Replies

• kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Sadly yes.....
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    They're not uncontrollable. It's all about willpower. If you want it badly enough, you will stop yourself. We all get severe cravings. Some of us give in, some don't. It's just a matter of how much we want it.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You obviously have a sweet tooth so just plan for a cookie or brownie or something every other day or so (or whenever you want it). Restricting will only lead to a huge binge.
  • Galloping4God
    Galloping4God Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Of course!!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Read the book "have your cake and skinny jeans too". It will totally change how you think and feel about food! I read it only two weeks ago but my life is so much easier now. (Mentally and emotionally that is) . I will no longer view food as good or bad , my days of rules and willpower are long over.
  • c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am a severe sugar addict to the point where I have made myself sick, on more than one occasion. What works for me is I tie my sugar fix to an event. For me that's payday Friday, which is every two weeks. I'm not of the mindset that it's all willpower. I truly believe, based on my own behavior- physically and emotionally, that sugar does something to the psyche like a drug. That's JMO. I also write down on my calendar how I was feeling when I was craving the sugar, why I did/didn't eat it so that I can recognize my triggers. Find out what works for you and try your best to stick to it.
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You obviously have a sweet tooth so just plan for a cookie or brownie or something every other day or so (or whenever you want it). Restricting will only lead to a huge binge.

Well said! Eat it when you want, stop when it stops tasting good. I don't binge anymore because when I want to eat it i can. I found the food has lost the appeal as I know it is now okay to eat it!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I get a case of the munchies every day around 2-3 PM. It's not even cravings; I'll eat anything (and everything) around that time. I wish I could figure out why then, and why it's so hard to keep myself in check.
  • Statari
    Statari Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, it's possible to be somewhat addicted to sugars and fats. I feel a physical craving that's extremely difficult to ignore. I try to substitute a slightly healthier option that I have less danger of eating too much of. For example, organic chocolate tends to be more bitter than a hershey's milk chocolate bar (but not so bitter I won't eat it). This means I can satisfy my sweet tooth but be ultimately disinclined to overeat. And, as my parents say, if it's in the house, you WILL eat it so it's best to leave the worst offenders at the grocery store.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Yep. I get them all the time. So I plan little snacks and treats so I don't freak out and eat all the chocolate in the house all at once. Here are my tricks:

Package "servings" of your favorite treats into little baggies with the calorie count boldly written on the outside so you can see it. (ex: 51 Reese's Pieces-170 calories, 3 Oreos-160 calories, half a Hershey bar-110 calories) When you need a treat, grab a baggie. No fear of going nuts and eating the whole box cuz when the bag is empty, that's it. To eat more you'd have to get a new snack baggie, and seeing the calorie number on the outside can remind you of how much you already ate and make you think again. Nestle Tollhouse ready-to-bake white chocolate chip macadamia nut cookie dough is only 90 calories a cookie. I make just two or three at a time, hot gooey cookies right out of the oven. Is there anything better?? And once they're gone, they're gone. Too much hassle to reheat the oven up all over again and bake more, so I make those two or three really count!

I keep frozen strawberries and grapes in the freezer, it's easy to blend up an emergency smoothie with a banana or some juice when I need something sweet and cold, and has way fewer cals than ice cream.

Also pudding cups in the fridge are a really easy, quick chocolate fix. I prefer the sugar free ones, as they're only 70 calories a piece.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i eat them sensibly and exercise it off
    or do healthy options like fruit,
    or skinny cow mint icecream sandwiches, or 100 cal cookie packs
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    d ont eat sugar free with fake sugar u shouldnt either
  • Tionne31
    Tionne31 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Well said! Eat it when you want, stop when it stops tasting good. I don't binge anymore because when I want to eat it i can. I found the food has lost the appeal as I know it is now okay to eat it!

I couldn't agree with both points above any more, AGREED!

I'm in the beginning stages of a lifestyle change (this time around lol), but I hold the opinion that if I only eat what the serving size is of Trader Joes Triple Ginger Snaps (they are my sweet weakness because otherwise I'm not big on sweets) and continue to eat clean 99% of the time and continue to work out then I will remain healthy. I can't say that I ate really bad before but I didn't watch portion sizes, I ate too close to bedtime and I wasn't active...so it wasn't the food that was the problem it was a lot of variables that played apart in me putting extra weight. If I want it, I'm eating it...my goal isn't to be a perfect just healthy :-)
  • tbullucks06
    tbullucks06 Posts: 128
    Options
    I had a binge night last night on chips and salsa and skinny cow candy bars. I don't feel guilty for eating them specifically. I feel guilty for going over my calorie goals. So tonight I decided. They are gone and they aren't coming back into this house since I can't control myself around them.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is your daily calorie deficit a reasonable one?
  • Mo3RoseWhite
    Options
    Unfortunately yes this happens to me every so often...last night to be exact. ^^;

But the best thing I can think of telling you is to try and not let overeating get you down. It's only one day. One "fattening" meal isn't going to make you gain a bunch of pounds, just like how eating one healthy meal isn't going to make you thin right away.

It is a long journey to health and weight loss. Just think of how worth while it is going to be getting to your goal weight, all your hard work and determination will pay off.

Also, do not forget that it is alright to splurge every once in a while, but try not to do it all the time. Do it on special occasions or bring your own snacks to work, the movies, anywhere. And remember to keep drinking about 8-12 cups of water EVERYDAY. Water is your best friend and it helps burn calories every time you replace a sugary beverage for it.

I hope I was able to help you out some love. Good luck! :)
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options

This is how I solve the problem, as well.

It's a lot easier to make good choices most of the time if I can say to myself "not today" for that bag of chips, instead of "not ever"
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I ruined weeks of clean eating tonight with a handful of peanut butter cookies. I think some of it stems from frustration though. While the scale was moving downward for awhile lately it hasn't moved down at all. Today I even gained! I probably would have been fine with a couple but I kept going. It was bad. The number on the scale will be ugly tomorrow but I'll just work harder and I'll go back to eating clean. I am still pretty angry with myself though :(.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    August?!?!?!

This is the kind of thinking that leads to the behavior you exhibited today.

PLan your food diary and allow for healthy foods AND a treat here and there

foods are not evil!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    They're not uncontrollable. It's all about willpower. If you want it badly enough, you will stop yourself. We all get severe cravings. Some of us give in, some don't. It's just a matter of how much we want it.

I don't know that it is all willpower. I gave up all refined sugars and flours for health reasons ( I have Lupus ) three month ago and since about three weeks after I started I have not had even the idea of a craving. I believe that cravings are addictions to certain kinds of foods which are basically a combination of flour, fat and salt ( like in pizza or chips ) or flour, fat and sugar ( like in cake, cookies and other bakery goods) and by eating them, we keep the addiction alive.
    A nice side effect are the 18 pounds I lost in exactly two month....:o).