How much weight could I lose by the holidays?

Options
Hey guys! I'm new here so I'm hoping to find some people with useful advice to help me out :)

See, right now I weigh about 148 - 150 lbs, and I'm only 5'3" 1/2 tall. I'm 19 years old and I hope to lose a total of 20 - 25 pounds. I'm OK with not losing a ton of weight, I'd rather lose fat so if I weigh a lot because of muscle, I'm OK with that too!

I hope this doesn't wind up too long.

For the last two months my weight has been at a stall. I've been eating about 1600 calories a day, and I had been exercising 2 days a week for about 30 minutes, mostly doing weights. The reason for exercising so little is because of my job. I work in fast food and it's a really busy job, I'm running around a lot all day so I get tired. I'm not sure what to do to get the weight loss going again.

My plan now is to eat about 1400 calories and work out 3 days a week, for 40 minutes, doing a 20 minute Jillian Michaels DVD and then 20 - 25 minutes of weights (like squats, lunges, deadlifts, push ups, etc) and maybe some jumping squats and things like that. My diet is good, I eat whole grains, eggs, lots of vegetables, fruits and chicken and nuts too. I need to start drinking more water, and i'm gonna stop drinking soda.

By the way, I follow the "In Place Of A Road Map" plan. I used an online calorie calculator from Scooby's Workshop and it says I should eat about 1600 - 1800 calories a day, with my activity level and weight/fat loss goals.

Does 1400 calories a day, with 3 days of 45 minutes of exercise (plus my active job) sound good? Any advice is appreciated, thanks!!!!!

Replies

• c50blvdbabe
    c50blvdbabe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you're moving on your job, some days you may want to eat more. I would definitely start reducing the amount of soda and any other sweets, fried foods, etc if you're eating that as well. I think adding an extra day of weights is good too. Is your diary open? So that your friends can take a look and offer up suggestions. Also, begin to take your measurements especially if you're looking to reduce fat as I've found that's a better indicator (coupled with how your clothes feel) as opposed to the scale, which can be deceiving.
  • hakudoshi82
    Options
    You need to do some cardio too. If you're busy at work you can do things during your lunch hour, like running up and down stairs, etc. Good cardio is where you burn fat. Weights while some calories are burned its more about toning and gaining lean body mass.

You should eat typically TDEE -20% eating back your calories burned. Most people will loose 1-2 pounds a week doing this but the last pounds are always tuffer.

Also when I stopped drinking soda I saw a huge difference. Once I got used to water it is pretty much all I want to drink anymore. About the only time I have a Coke Zero is when I go to the movie theater.
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options
    Depending on how much you're moving on your job, some days you may want to eat more. I would definitely start reducing the amount of soda and any other sweets, fried foods, etc if you're eating that as well. I think adding an extra day of weights is good too. Is your diary open? So that your friends can take a look and offer up suggestions. Also, begin to take your measurements especially if you're looking to reduce fat as I've found that's a better indicator (coupled with how your clothes feel) as opposed to the scale, which can be deceiving.

Some days I run around the whole 7+ hours I'm scheduled! LOL! Or I'll go for walks on my half hour breaks, too. Maybe try 1600 calories but just increase the amount of time I exercise?
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options
    You need to do some cardio too. If you're busy at work you can do things during your lunch hour, like running up and down stairs, etc. Good cardio is where you burn fat. Weights while some calories are burned its more about toning and gaining lean body mass.

You should eat typically TDEE -20% eating back your calories burned. Most people will loose 1-2 pounds a week doing this but the last pounds are always tuffer.

My DVD has cardio, and I did mention jumping squats. Also, cardio is good for some things, but it's not really good for fat loss. OR so I've heard. I found it best for creating a calorie deficit. I had better results strictly lifting weights and eating at a deficit with zero cardio, in weight loss and fat loss, then I ever did in doing a ton of cardio AND a ton of weights. The In Place Of A Road Map plan explains a lot.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

My DVD has cardio, and I did mention jumping squats. Also, cardio is good for some things, but it's not really good for fat loss. OR so I've heard. I found it best for creating a calorie deficit. I had better results strictly lifting weights and eating at a deficit with zero cardio, in weight loss and fat loss, then I ever did in doing a ton of cardio AND a ton of weights. The In Place Of A Road Map plan explains a lot.

Sounds like a good plan. You probably don't need extra cardio. Cardio is for the heart and increasing deficits, it's not to be solely relied on, a food intake deficit is the biggest and most realistic angle of approach.
  • hakudoshi82
    Options
    but it's not really good for fat loss. OR so I've heard.

There is some studies showing woman response better with weights for fat loss then cardio. But in general cardio is a good call anyways. Lowers your resting heart rate over time, raises good cholesterol, and helps prevent heart disease, etc. If you're working to be healthy it's a good idea to find ways to fit in in =)

Good luck though on your journey!
  • c50blvdbabe
    Options
    If you're on your feel all day, you may be getting sufficient cardio. I would focus on weight training and dieting.
  • c50blvdbabe
    Options
    When I say dieting, I mean food intake as a whole
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options

Sounds like a good plan. You probably don't need extra cardio. Cardio is for the heart and increasing deficits, it's not to be solely relied on, a food intake deficit is the biggest and most realistic angle of approach.
    '
    Ahahaha thank you! That's what my plan is, a food intake deficit with lots of weights to help maintain my muscle mass! If 1400 calories doesn't seem to do much good with a few weeks, I may up it to about 1600. That's what I ate in the past while working out 3 days a week, doing strictly weights, and the results were awesome!
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options
    If you're on your feel all day, you may be getting sufficient cardio. I would focus on weight training and dieting.

That's what I was thinking but there have been some people telling me that the running around I doesn't count as cardio, lol, even though I run a lot.
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options
    but it's not really good for fat loss. OR so I've heard.

There is some studies showing woman response better with weights for fat loss then cardio. But in general cardio is a good call anyways. Lowers your resting heart rate over time, raises good cholesterol, and helps prevent heart disease, etc. If you're working to be healthy it's a good idea to find ways to fit in in =)

Good luck though on your journey!

Cardio is good for some things, but not for fat loss, as I said. I'm speaking from my own experience when I say that cardio was horrible for weight loss. I went from 160 - 140 pounds doing only cardio...but my clothes fit THE SAME. I think I ended up losing muscle mass instead of fat, due to my large calorie deficit and my two+ hours of cardio almost every day. LOL.
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options
    any1 else?
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options
    Bump :)
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options
    Bump, please lol :)
  • the_desperate_gal
    Options
    Abump?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Since you seem extremely active most days at work, I think it would be better to consider upping your calories up instead of restricting further. When you calculate your TDEE, are you saying you're sedentary? Maybe try using a more active selection and then subtracting 20% from that.

I used your stats and chose moderately active,
    (TDEE is 2338, 20% is 467.6)
    I calculated your daily calorie intake to be 1870 calories to lose weight.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I work in fast food as well! (feel free to add me!)

I eat around 1700 plus my exercise calories. I don't think cutting your calories more will help in my opinion. Just because I know personally that we burn ALOT at work and cutting down to 1400 may not be enough for you especially if you are doing weight training. Are you being honest with your tracking? Are you being consistent? Are you logging everything, everyday? I know you mentioned soda, and I know it's free at work (at least where I work) but really you should limit it if possible. A few glasses a day can add ALOT to your calorie level by the end of the day!

Personally I am 26, 5'6, SW was 165, CW is 128 and GW is 125. I started eating 1200 cal in the beginning, but since in January I increased it to where it is now. I walk to/from work (20 min each) most days but other than that my gym routine kinda sucked (it wasn't consistent, like you sometimes I'm just so tired!!). BUT I have been very keen on tracking everything and logging in everyday here and am very close to goal. If you want an approximate timeline for weight loss, I have my monthly weights posted on my profile :)

Oh and I just started the 30 day shred video, I recommend it! :) Good luck in your weight loss!!!
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 558 Member
    Options

Also when I stopped drinking soda I saw a huge difference. Once I got used to water it is pretty much all I want to drink anymore. About the only time I have a Coke Zero is when I go to the movie theater.

I agree with most of this advice... but I also disagree!! OP I work the same job, I KNOW you do ALOT of cardio already!!!! hahaha.... People underestimate the amount you are required to run around in our job. I add in some extra walks (cause I need to get to work somehow! lol), but mostly I don't add extra cardio unless I am trying to "earn" some extra calories like if I know I'm going to go out and have a very large meal or something :)