sodium ... anyone have low sodium intake?

Options
yuli23
yuli23 Posts: 89 Member
so i just noticed that i have a very low sodium intake ... not purposely .. i didn't think it was a big deal till i read the effects... i had 201 mg of salt for the day today ... little over 1110 for the week so far... so i went ahead and ate a bag of chips and it doubled it for today lol ...

i guess i am wondering if any of you guys have the same issue with sodium (not enough) and have yall noticed a difference... i did notice the good stuff like my hands aren't swollen like before when i wake up ... but i didnt think fatigue and confusion could come of it or dizziness ... like i have felt

Replies

• MaggieKillNMaul
    MaggieKillNMaul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem....I really struggle to keep my sodium intake below 2000mg. I think low sodium is a good thing, as it's better for your heart and helps you avoid retaining water, but I also know that you need some degree of sodium to absorb the water you drink.
  • yuli23
    Options
    i need to stock up on pickles lol
  • hakudoshi82
    Options
    so i just noticed that i have a very low sodium intake ... not purposely .. i didn't think it was a big deal till i read the effects... i had 201 mg of salt for the day today ... little over 1110 for the week so far... so i went ahead and ate a bag of chips and it doubled it for today lol ...

i guess i am wondering if any of you guys have the same issue with sodium (not enough) and have yall noticed a difference... i did notice the good stuff like my hands aren't swollen like before when i wake up ... but i didnt think fatigue and confusion could come of it or dizziness ... like i have felt

Ummm, that would be shocking if you actually had 210mg for an entire day. Almost everything has sodium in it. I would say maybe the things you are logging incorrectly don't have sodium on them. Some people don't fill in all the nutrition facts when they input food into the database.

I TRY to do low sodium of around 1500mg a day which is an ideal amount from everything I've read. Not going over 2400mg is another guideline. If you were to consume 200mg of sodium a day for a long time you would develop heart arrhythmia and other serious medical issues.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are getting more than you think. If you are getting less than 500 mg per day I think you would have symptoms of hyponatremia.
  • yuli23
    Options
    i eat the same thing over and over ... chicken breast that i grill i sprinkle it lemon or a no sodium mr dash ... and white rice or quiona which i dont season.... that is dinner and lunch .... breakfast is a banana some sort of fruit.... i will have a yogurt for a snack.
  • yuli23
    Options
    lunch and dinner is the same dish not ... i dont mean i skip
    a meal
  • yuli23
    Options
    okay i cant type today lol
  • hakudoshi82
    Options
    i eat the same thing over and over ... chicken breast that i grill i sprinkle it lemon or a no sodium mr dash ... and white rice or quiona which i dont season.... that is dinner and lunch .... breakfast is a banana some sort of fruit.... i will have a yogurt for a snack.

Unless you found very hard to find no sodium chicken, it has sodium in it:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/sodium-in-chicken-00412000070041/

Only the Lemon and Ms Dash dont' have sodium (Ms Dash uses Potassium instead). Everything else has sodium in it.

But I'd make sure. Like has been said eating under 600mg of sodium is flat out dangerous.
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I am guessing you are getting more than you realize, chicken has sodium in it, heck even fresh veggies, eggs, egg whites, greek yogurt have sodium in them. I eat no extra salt, I make all my own sauces, and I rarely eat anything out of a box or can. I am guessing that some of the food logged in the data base is not 100% accurate, might be close but not 100%, I have run into that with having deficiencies in my numbers to only realize it was logged wrong in the database.

I eat mainly lean meats, and about 9 cups of veggies a day, at dinner a grain and even with that I am about 1000MG a day.
  • yuli23
    Options
    yeah i thought so too !! sigh i have been getting dizzy , fatigue and confusion ... today i did dead lift and i thought i was gonna pass out.... but i red that was some what normal.... i want to try to up my sodium i just dont wanna up it with unhealthy foods.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Like you said, add some pickles or a bag of chips, just make sure that those fit into your calorie limitations and you're getting sufficient protein. Your body does need some sodium, the problem is that many people get way too much so all the advice is to lower it. It is definitely possible though to not get enough.

As for me, I don't track sodium at all. My running and other exercise ensures a good level of sweat and my pizza intake ensures my sodium levels don't get too low. I'm zen.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Your sodium should be at a min of 1k if you are exercising. You sweat a lot of it out and need a base amount.

Also it can be higher than what mfp allows as long as you are not sodium sensitive. A lot of BBers get on stage looking dry without cutting sodium and keeping it a consistent 3-5k daily.
  • yuli23
    Options
    deadlifts and getting dizzy seemed normal so i thought nothing of it ... but then that 201 caught my eye and i started looking at all my sodium intake and i never ever thought it was a bad thing to have a low sodium intake... thanks guys ... i feel better knowing that i might be taking more than i thought i was ... which is great
  • rbeckner711
    rbeckner711 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Symptoms of hyponatremia (low sodium) include falls, dizziness, confusion.
  • yuli23
    Options
    Like you said, add some pickles or a bag of chips, just make sure that those fit into your calorie limitations and you're getting sufficient protein. Your body does need some sodium, the problem is that many people get way too much so all the advice is to lower it. It is definitely possible though to not get enough.

As for me, I don't track sodium at all. My running and other exercise ensures a good level of sweat and my pizza intake ensures my sodium levels don't get too low. I'm zen.

jealous of the pizza ... lol but i figured maybe adding cheese as a snack
  • yuli23
    Options
    i am already clumsy i dont need an extra push at falling lol
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was consuming less than 1500 mgs a day and when I had my blood work a few months ago it came back slightly below recommendations, so my doctor told me to increase my intake. No one was more shocked than me! I thought salt was the Devil and the lower the better. I am to be retested in October.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low sodium diet for a medical condition. Sodium hides everywhere. It's very hard for me to keep it low. I'm getting better and seeing where it is hiding now but it's still there. Eggs cheese bread etc. if you need more sodium soya sauce has lots! It's one of the things I miss the most.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If I eat good food, I'll usually around 600, sometimes 1000. It's only on days I eat out or have something a little more processed that it gets higher. Rarely is it up to 2000, and that's when I have a bad food day.

I don't even own salt. I don't like the way it makes things taste.