I know I keep posting thins but...

Options

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You are at the top of the range for a healthy weight. And maybe that is where you should be. If you are large framed losing more is very likely a bad idea. Perhaps you should have your BF tested and see where that falls on the scale. If you are where you are supposed to be it's going to be extremely difficult to go lower than that. I don't see the point. Try lifting and cardio to get a more toned look.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    How do you measure your food?
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it! I have been eating healthy and exercising and I keep gaining! I'm certainly not losing! Not really losing inches either. I don't have a HRM, but I do have an app on my phone where I can put my weight in and pick the workouts I do and get my calories burned. I am 5'11. 166 lbs. I did cheat today and had a sub and chips. :(. But I am still under my calories. And my weight when I got home was 170! This is the way it's been for a. While now. My TDEE - 20% is 1886. My activity level on MFP is lightly active, but i do workout 4 times a week and burn 400-500 calories each time. I am at a loss here!! I mean, so I can't even have a cheat day cause ill gain weight?!! Please help me!

It's not a cheat if you stay under calories. You can eat whatever you want, as long as you stay under goal.

My best advice to you is double down on your logging and make sure everything is exactly accurate. Weigh ALL your food. You MUST have a kitchen scale, there are no two ways about that. It will make all the difference. Watch yourself while cooking, too, are you a "sampler"? A spoonful of this and a sliver of that can really add up fast when you're working in the kitchen.

Also how long have you been at this? It takes a while to teach your body to start letting go of those fat cells. Give it at least three weeks of solid, ACCURATE logging before you let yourself get frustrated.

edited for typos
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:

:heart: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.

:heart: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.

:heart: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.

:heart: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.

:heart: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.

:heart: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.

:heart: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.

:heart: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.

:heart: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom

:heart: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.

:heart: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)

:heart: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

Step away from the scale. Hide it if you have to.
  • djwife03
    djwife03 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I do measure food. If I have a cup of oatmeal, It's one cup. I actually leave the measuring cup inside the oatmeal container so I measure every time I have it. When I use olive oil, I use a tablespoon or teaspoon. I have been this a couple months now being really conscious about everything. I don't know how to describe my frame to know if I'm large framed but my measurements are:

Waist at belly button- 34im
    Natural waist - 32in
    Hips- 42 in( I have a hard time with this because I read you have to measure at the fullest part of your butt) so..
    Thigh- 26 in
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do measure food. If I have a cup of oatmeal, It's one cup. I actually leave the measuring cup inside the oatmeal container so I measure every time I have it. When I use olive oil, I use a tablespoon or teaspoon. I have been this a couple months now being really conscious about everything. I don't know how to describe my frame to know if I'm large framed but my measurements are:

Waist at belly button- 34im
    Natural waist - 32in
    Hips- 42 in( I have a hard time with this because I read you have to measure at the fullest part of your butt) so..
    Thigh- 26 in

Don't use a measuring cup for food. Use a kitchen scale. Measuring cups and spoons are not accurate for food... only use them for liquids. For the oatmeal, are you tracking 1 cup cooked or 1cup uncooked? 1 cup uncooked is a lot more than 150 cals.

And for the weight being higher in the evening, relax and stop stepping on the scale so often if you are going to freak out. Your weight WILL change throughout the day. Weigh ONCE a WEEK.
  • pjwcampbell
    pjwcampbell Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My trainer told to increase the calories I eat every day. I did that and it made a difference. My body fat percent went down which it hasn't for a long, long time. Don't know how many calories to recommend but you may want to look at whether you're eating enough.
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    What is with this weight naked? Last I knew I aint walking around naked so why care what you weigh naked? I'll never get this.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    When you said 'lightly active' and a calorie burn from exercise, you aren't eating those exercise calories are you? If you've used your exercise to determine your activity level, you shouldn't be eating exercise calories.
  • doodles21224
    doodles21224 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Check the app. MyFitnessPal doesn't work on all phones. Have it checked out.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it! I have been eating healthy and exercising and I keep gaining! I'm certainly not losing! Not really losing inches either. I don't have a HRM, but I do have an app on my phone where I can put my weight in and pick the workouts I do and get my calories burned. I am 5'11. 166 lbs. I did cheat today and had a sub and chips. :(. But I am still under my calories. And my weight when I got home was 170! This is the way it's been for a. While now. My TDEE - 20% is 1886. My activity level on MFP is lightly active, but i do workout 4 times a week and burn 400-500 calories each time. I am at a loss here!! I mean, so I can't even have a cheat day cause ill gain weight?!! Please help me!

First, I don't know why you're gaining. Second, don't think "cheat". The goal is to learn to live well and have a healthy relationship with food. There are no forbidden foods if they fit into your day. I hope for you that one day soon you'll see the weight drop off in big numbers.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    What is with this weight naked? Last I knew I aint walking around naked so why care what you weigh naked? I'll never get this.

Because most people have some outfits that weigh more than others. If I'm wearing light shorts and a light tee, my clothes may only weigh 1 lb, but if I'm wearing jeans and a sweater, it's more like 4 lbs. The difference in clothes could hide a drop or make it appear that I'm losing when I'm not.

No reason to do it though if you don't want to. It'll average out over time.
  • djwife03
    Options
    No, I don't eat all my Cals back. The app I use was recommended by someone on here. I don't use MFP to estimate my Cals burned becaus it's not accurate
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Because different clothing can make your weight different. If I put on a pair of sweat pants, t-shirt and no shoes, I am about 1.5lbs heavier. If I put on jeans, t-shirt, and shoes, I can be up to 4lbs heavier than my naked weight.

Naked weight is good for tracking purposes, since clothing has variable weights. To be as accurate as possible in terms of tracking, you want things to be a close to the same as possible every time. I don't know about you, but I sure don't wear the same exact clothing everyday.

Personally, I want to know what I weigh. Not what I weigh + the weight of my clothes. But that's just my preference.
  • RunNadineRun
    RunNadineRun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's hard isn't it? I've experienced this before too - and I got over the hump by changing not the total calorie amount but what I eat.
    Tonnes and tonees of veggies. Plate is half veggies (steamed or a salad) plus 1/4 protein and 1/4 carbs (potato, rice, grains like Quiona). I do this for most meals except breakfast which is either a high fibre cereal(like bran buds) and fruit (like berries).

I also really recommend getting something that actually measures your physical activity eveyrday. I got a fuel band and it really changed how I eat - if I'm not active - I don't eat a lot.

Stick with it - keep tracking and measuring like the other people have recommended.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Looked at your diary and personally, I would reduce my sodium to 1500 especially around the TOM. A lot of your food is high in sodium. I was stuck at 13 pounds for the longest (and I do eat clean), the scale would not move, getting very stressed over it, which probably did not helped. Once I reduce my sodium to 1500 and really look at what I was eating, the scale started to move - I have now hit 21 pounds, hoping to reach 30 by August/September. My diary is open is for viewing.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I agree with most everything said here (except maybe the detox - that's a bunch of baloney IMHO.)
    Also I watch my sodium when cooking at home, so when I eat out I know I'm going to retain water for a couple of days. This accounts for at least an extra couple of pounds on the scale, then it drops off.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    First, Breathe. I'm 5'11 too. It took me 2 full years to get 47 pounds off. I started at 190 and just started eating less and moving more. I got down to 165 and knew I needed more help so I started logging on MFP. You know what worked the most for me? Being consistant every day with my calories. If I was aiming for 1550, I ate 1500-1550 EVERY DAY. I planned my day ahead so that I could do this. If I worked out, I ate at least 1/2 of those burned calories back. Your profile isn't filled out, but your ticker says you want to lose 5lbs. Those last 5 took forever but I stuck with it, worked on fitness, paid less attention to the scale. I'm 34 and I was able to get down to 143. In one year I've gained 10 of those back (Winter laziness, not watching as closely, went back to my old ways...). So, I'm right where you are now, those last freakin' 5 pounds. In all this experience, I found that 150 is my happy weight. It's just trying to figure out how to maintain that and not land back in the "almost 200's" again...I'll let you know if I ever figure that out :smile:

You can't get frusterated because stress will build up and you won't lose a thing. Also, no more weighing at night. If you HAVE to weigh everyday, only way in the morning without clothes. Never weigh within 4-5 days of your TOM. You are pretty much right smack dab in the "healthy weight" range for 5'11, these pounds you are trying to lose are vanity pounds, they take forever to come off. Be patient, be consistant, and know the better you eat the better chance you have to lose those pounds. Work outs help, but losing weight is 80% diet. Try cleaning your diet up a bit. Replacing something processed with something natural. Not eating out as much. Making your own food more. Little changes make a huge difference.

And know this, maintaining that 'perfect' weight, not easy. Everyone thinks that when the weight comes off, it says off, like magic. Also, everyone thinks that things will be so much better when they aren't losing any more... 5-10 pounds come back easier than you will ever know. If you don't develop and stick to new, healthier habits, you'll find those pounds you lost really quickly!
  • djwife03
    Options
    First, Breathe. I'm 5'11 too. It took me 2 full years to get 47 pounds off. I started at 190 and just started eating less and moving more. I got down to 165 and knew I needed more help so I started logging on MFP. You know what worked the most for me? Being consistant every day with my calories. If I was aiming for 1550, I ate 1500-1550 EVERY DAY. I planned my day ahead so that I could do this. If I worked out, I ate at least 1/2 of those burned calories back. Your profile isn't filled out, but your ticker says you want to lose 5lbs. Those last 5 took forever but I stuck with it, worked on fitness, paid less attention to the scale. I'm 34 and I was able to get down to 143. In one year I've gained 10 of those back (Winter laziness, not watching as closely, went back to my old ways...). So, I'm right where you are now, those last freakin' 5 pounds. In all this experience, I found that 150 is my happy weight. It's just trying to figure out how to maintain that and not land back in the "almost 200's" again...I'll let you know if I ever figure that out :smile:

You can't get frusterated because stress will build up and you won't lose a thing. Also, no more weighing at night. If you HAVE to weigh everyday, only way in the morning without clothes. Never weigh within 4-5 days of your TOM. You are pretty much right smack dab in the "healthy weight" range for 5'11, these pounds you are trying to lose are vanity pounds, they take forever to come off. Be patient, be consistant, and know the better you eat the better chance you have to lose those pounds. Work outs help, but losing weight is 80% diet. Try cleaning your diet up a bit. Replacing something processed with something natural. Not eating out as much. Making your own food more. Little changes make a huge difference.

And know this, maintaining that 'perfect' weight, not easy. Everyone thinks that when the weight comes off, it says off, like magic. Also, everyone thinks that things will be so much better when they aren't losing any more... 5-10 pounds come back easier than you will ever know. If you don't develop and stick to new, healthier habits, you'll find those pounds you lost really quickly!

Thank you so much!
  • cakecup
    cakecup Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Well when you work out you will gain muscle, and you work out alot so thats probably why, try working out every other day and weigh yourself in the morning before you eat. I was working out everyday once and my weight was at a stand still. And Ive heard other women tell me they lost weight by not working out to much.