Convert from Weight Watchers

Options
kslatta
kslatta Posts: 5 Member
Well, hello everyone. I just cancelled my membership at Weight Watchers because
1. there was no meeting in my neighborhood or locality that I could get to (and I live in Pittsburgh, hardly a small town)
2. the point system masks the amount of calories I'm eating
3. the tracking system does not keep track of nutrition information.

So, I could be on an all-beer diet and still be under my point quota, but have no idea about what kind of food I am eating, how many nutrients, fats, sugars, salts, carbs, and proteins I'm getting each day. .

Also,
4. you can't easily track exercise along with food as you can here of myfitnesspal, and the little device you're supposed to keep on your body falls off so easily that I kept losing it.

and finally,

5. I found it was too easy to "cheat" with the point system because there are so few foods listed in its database.

So, I'm starting over with myfitnesspal, and this time determined to stick to my plan to lose 2 pounds a week by eating a limited number of calories.

I'm looking for friends, and here are a few facts about me: I'm 52, about 30 pounds overweight (something I never thought would "happen" to me) and struggling with quite a bit of stress in my life.

Hoping to hear from some of you.

Warmly,

Kimberly

Replies

• hodie23
    hodie23 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hello, I'm 52 and used to be a member of weight watchers also. I have been a member of MFP for a very short time and I have lost 6 lbs. I enjoy the message board and the success that other members have had. I will be keeping you in my prayers so that you and I will have our own success stories to share in the next few months. My goal is to lose 35 lbs more. so far I've logged in for 20 days. Yeah!
  • tracy6484
    tracy6484 Posts: 2
    Options
    I too am a WW Convert- I actually reached goal weight with WW but was then put on some medications that made me gain weight- I then got married and gained the newly wed 9 and my eating got out of control so i ended up gaining everything I lost back plus some - however, I continued to attend WW. I stopped attending over the past year because I could not fit it in with my schedule and i wasn't seeing results. I had been doing the plan for so long that I too, figured out how to cheat and still fall into my points. I loved my leader, but after going for so many years, i had heard all of her stories and tips so many times, that I could teach the class. In my last few years of going, i was actually gaining weight- I can honestly blame some of it on chronic medical issues, but when it comes down to it, I have to take responsibility. I like MFP because it does show me all of the things WW does not-with points plus you do calculate the points based on protein, calories, fat, and fiber, but you do not see them staring you in the face, nor do you see the sodium and sugar. I can now see that maybe part of why I was gaining was because I was going over in sugar and sodium but under in calories and fat. Now I am trying to get a more balanced approach. I am still skeptical about some of the nutrition info that I find on here- some of it seems a little low, while others seem high (especially in the fruit and vegetable categories), as well as the amount of calories burned for some activities, but I have seen more success in a shorter amount of time. I have resumed my journey this week and have already lost weight in the past 3 days. I think sometimes we get in a rut and need a change of pace which is why I am liking this site so much.I wish all my WW converts much success and know we can do this!
  • sparrow0716
    Options
    I'm a convert too -- for all the same reasons! I started educating myself about the "right" kind of foods and even though they may be higher in fats or sugars, they're still good for you! - i.e. low fat cream cheese and sugar from fruits.

I struggled a lot with WW allowing "lower points" on foods just because they were "fat free." That never made those kinds of foods better for me. In fact all the sugar-like chemical additives made them worse!

I'm using MFP now to support my clean eating efforts and really track my calories in and out.

If you're not on a multivitamin, I'd recommend taking a daily one ASAP so you get all the other vitamins and minerals you need. It really helps meet that weekly quota!

Best of luck to all those coming over from WW country!!!
  • buildingdreams
    buildingdreams Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I converted over 2 years ago, it def maskes the calories. My doctor told me to track my calories and stay away from weight watchers. Im 5.5 and need to lose 30lb also. Feel free to friend me I will help support you in your efforts
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Also former WW-er. I liked the old points system better - it just got too complicated. On the old system I could at least estimate what the points were going to be by looking at labels. Plus I was always hungry and was not losing weight. I like being able to see a breakdown on MFP of my protein, sodium, carbs, etc. Welcome!
  • jrortega1912
    jrortega1912 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Also a convert, I made life time. I have gained weight back plus some. The hardest thing for me is to log in veggie and fruits because in WW they have zero points. Veggies and fruits have calories so I log them in. Welcome and" If you bit it write!" WW saying.
  • muppetfan13
    muppetfan13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a convert, too. I am through with the points system. Anything that encourages me to seek artificial sweeteners and fillers for fat-free food to stay under a seemingly arbitrary daily goal is not for me. I lost weight on it a few years ago, but now I know more about eating REAL foods and not the fake stuff. I have given up all sodas, as much HFCS as I can track (better for my kids' behavior, too), and fat-free for the sake of being fat-free. I don't even like the way that stuff tastes anymore. I do still use Crystal Light/Mio more often than I'd like to admit, but I use a packet designed for 20 oz. of water in about 75 oz., so I'm cutting that, too. I'm trying to switch to just lemon/lime juice this summer. One step at a time.
  • Braz76
    Braz76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tried a 12 week challenge with WW. I put on 2kgs. I know I only control what I put in my mouth and what exercises I choose to do. However when I did it, they did not give you the tools you need to count the "points" in food, that was extra money. Also, I found it all too soft for me. If I had a bad week, I don't want someone patting me on theback. I want someone to say, 'dah, you did bad, you know what you did, lets start again this week'. So I rebelled... so yeah, I put on 2kgs and WW got a couple of hundred dollars out of me. Seems fair :grumble:
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Well good luck to you. You can find a lot of support here, for me it wasn't enough. After a year of MFP and no significant weight loss, I joined WW meetings. The weight is coming off and I have been on track for 3 months, which is a record for me. Getting gold stars and applause when I lose really helps. As does having the weigh-in person look over my tracker for the last week if I gained to give me advice on how to make the next week better. The WW app is much better than the MFP app. Plus the recipe builder allows me to be more precise with my points. I also like that it take the guess work out of how many calories I should be eating today, which is a constant debate on MFP. I still come to MFP since it has much better boards and groups than WW. I also agree that WW doesn't always stress nutrition, but I feel the points plus has really helped on that front. I did WW online years ago and just ate smart ones and did not change my eating habits, but I have made a conscious decision to eat healthier, while still treating myself at times and WW allows me to do that. While MFP made me stress about every single calorie.
  • unbendablewings
    Options
    I am from Ww too, but had a very difficult time with the new points. In six months I lost 18pounds then my mom told me she saw this TV show up thingie on mothers day. I am the only one with a smart phone and downloaded it at the table. What this up was saying my lunch was half of what I should eat, my points was only a third. I have been more focused here and gave lost 14 pounds a lot quicker. The last Ww meeting I went to the leader thought the program finally clicked for me. I didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't the program that clicked, it was another program. So...welcome and good luck with your weight loss! :)
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I'm a convert, too. I am through with the points system. Anything that encourages me to seek artificial sweeteners and fillers for fat-free food to stay under a seemingly arbitrary daily goal is not for me. I lost weight on it a few years ago, but now I know more about eating REAL foods and not the fake stuff. I have given up all sodas, as much HFCS as I can track (better for my kids' behavior, too), and fat-free for the sake of being fat-free. I don't even like the way that stuff tastes anymore. I do still use Crystal Light/Mio more often than I'd like to admit, but I use a packet designed for 20 oz. of water in about 75 oz., so I'm cutting that, too. I'm trying to switch to just lemon/lime juice this summer. One step at a time.

I go to meetings and I have never been encouraged to use artificial sweeteners and fillers. Some people choose to do it, but that is their prerogative. I think the WW approach is portion control, so you can eat whatever you want in a reasonable portion. Also they new points plus system doesn't even factor in calories, it's based on carbs/fiber/fat/protein so healthier foods are generally lower in points. I was at a meeting on Saturday where the leader was trying to encourage members to pair carbs with a protein. She asked one member how she planned to add protein to her breakfast and the member said she has orange juice and candy for breakfast, wafer cookies and coffee for lunch and had no plans of changing. She doesn't have any protein until dinner. The leader politely told her that it is her choice to continue to eat this way, but WW research has shown eating the importance of getting enough protein. So yes there are people on WW and even MFP who make terrible choices, but that is not because they are following the plan. It is because they do what they want to do. Many MFP members only consider their total calories for the day and not the nutrition. That doesn't make MFP bad, just as it doesn't make WW bad, they both have bad members.
  • sweetpeas317
    sweetpeas317 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I just cancelled my WW too, I didn't lose anything on it and I felt like I was eating way too much especially all the free fruit and vegetables. Good Luck and feel free to add me
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me....I"m 54 and tried WW a few years ago but I found it too confusing, not knowing what was in the food I was eating, going to meetings and paying the fees and buying the scale and the tracking devices, etc,,,,,I lost about 10 lbs but put it back on. I lost 20 since January (started MFP in Apr) and continue to lose about .5-1lb/week. I log my food and am accountable to the foods I eat. You look at food differently...you want to eat cleaner, cook healthier, incorporate new veggies, use smaller portions and of course share with your mfp. The friends are very supportive and encouraging and come up with great ideas and suggestions and I feel I'm supportive to them as well.
  • janetlynn31
    janetlynn31 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I started and started over on WW many times myself. I'm 51 and after the years of yo-yos and frustration, came to the conclusion my motives were all messed up - I needed a lifestyle change for my health. I don't want to end up diabetic with all its complications, have osteoporosis, or have hypertension like my mom. I do have a congenital heart condition that is not weight related. My kids are age 20- and 17 and I'm quite simply too young in that sense to not take care of myself. So -- while I've done MFP on and off for a couple years, I've made it part of my lifestyle for 6 months now. I use the calorie recommendation it sets for me, and exercise almost daily. I like the reports feature that lets me see a week at a time how I'm doing nutritionally. I don't let one day or one meal derail me -- words and phrases like "cheating" "off the wagon" "starting over" "messed up" -- etc. -- are not in my vocabulary anymore. I eat pretty much what I want, aiming for nutritious choices, portion controlled, and try to stay "in the green" nutritionally each day. If I want a serving of Oreos, I have them and track it. If I want pizza, I have it and track it. My goals aren't based on number, but on persistence and focusing on the big picture.

What I realized about WW is that the only measure of success that was "official" was the number on the scale. They talked about and "celebrated" other measures of success (measurements, how clothes fit, etc.) but those weren't recorded. My weight also fluctuates - I go down and up for awhile, then drop, down and up, then drop ... this doesn't look too pretty on WW charts. In 6 months on MFP, I've lost 16 lbs and counting, which doesn't sound like much, but I've also been working out with a trainer and going to the gym at least 5 days a week (whether I want to or not), and have lost 32 inches -- which has amounted to 1-2 pants sizes and 1 shirt size. I feel better than I have in years, I'm stronger, sleep better, have more energy.

Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend. :-)
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Please feel free to add me as a friend. I'm 59, was never a big fan of Weight Watchers and have found that MFP has made all the difference for me. I worked with a nutritionist so I learned a lot about healthy eating and weight-loss eating (and she is DEFINITELY not a fan of WW for reasons you and others list...too much emphasis on meeting certain point goals rather than eating healthy foods) but had a lot of trouble putting that into practice until I found this site.
  • tumblindice
    tumblindice Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Kimberly....you can do it.
    I quit WW for the same reasons.

Have patience, and trust in yourself.

Judy
  • Eve_Eati02
    Eve_Eati02 Posts: 23
    Options
    I used to count points too.... but I felt this was a nice change, and I like the support here. :)
  • muppetfan13
    muppetfan13 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I go to meetings and I have never been encouraged to use artificial sweeteners and fillers. Some people choose to do it, but that is their prerogative. I think the WW approach is portion control, so you can eat whatever you want in a reasonable portion. Also they new points plus system doesn't even factor in calories, it's based on carbs/fiber/fat/protein so healthier foods are generally lower in points.

I was generally referring to the Weight Watchers brands of foods that are full of fillers so you can have cheese for one point or crackers for 2. I realize they are in it to make money; they just don't need any more of mine. I am glad you find support at the meetings. I am not denigrating any method that helps you; I was merely explaining why it didn't help me. :smile:

So yes there are people on WW and even MFP who make terrible choices, but that is not because they are following the plan. It is because they do what they want to do. Many MFP members only consider their total calories for the day and not the nutrition. That doesn't make MFP bad, just as it doesn't make WW bad, they both have bad members.

I agree with you here, too. I know my efforts are, right now, to eat what's right for my body. I am not an all-organic-or-nothing kind of gal. I can't afford that! However, I do know that getting rid of the fake stuff and the fillers has helped heal some of my relationship with food. I'm ready to fix a lifelong love-hate relationship with myself and food. I just don't think WW worked for me in that regard.
  • TamAUH
    TamAUH Posts: 20
    Options
    Wow its good to read all those messages. I thought of joining as sometimes i feel just trapped.
    I am new here and happy to make new Friends. Just Add me.

:)
  • mickeyksu
    mickeyksu Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me happy. I felt guilty for leaving WW because it was such a big part of my life. Well, if it was so great, then why wasn't it working? I agree. Too many ways to cheat. Zero points on fruits meant that I was eating an extra 500 calories a day in "free" fruit.

Heather in KS