How can I do Cardio with an Injured Knee?

Options
Finished my first 10K race last week (woot!) and I had a great time except that I hurt my knee doing it (originally hurt it during a softball game the day before and made it a lot worst running on it). This is my first knee related running injury, and I'm coming to realize that I won't be able to do any of the cardio exercises that I enjoy (i.e. running and biking mainly) without reinjuring my knee. Any advice on how I can get some cardio in without putting strain on my healing limb?

Replies

• thelastdrop
    Options
    If you have access to a pool i would try doing some laps in the pool. Otherwise you're going to have to stay off your feet until your new recuperates.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Biking will be fine, that's what my PT recommended after my knee surgery. and lots of advil and ice.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say, "see your doctor first".
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Have you went and had it checked out by an Ortho doctor?? PT is your best bet under doctors supervision... I have terrible knee's but work closely with my doctor and PT's to keep me moving... They can design a program to strength your knee and get you back in the game... Best of Luck...
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I"m guessing you will need to minimize if not totally avoid stressing that knee until it heals. Which I would guess restricts you to upper body exercises. Have you seen your doctor? S/he may be able to give you some exercises and therapy to help it heal faster. If you try to do weight-bearing exercises too soon, you will make it worse. Trust me. I did that. Bad idea.

After it heals, I'd consider wearing a brace when you do cardio to give your knee some extra support. Without knowing the extent or type of your injury, though, it's hard to tell.

Maybe you could try swimming?!
  • bluangelz
    bluangelz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    after checking with your dr check into an aqua jogger. my husband got one for me as I injured both knees on my last race. my physical therapist said it is excellent for recovery while unable to run. go to www.aquajogger.com
    I absolutely love it!
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the helpful comments.It's only been a few days, and it already feels a lot better so. I think if it goes on for more than a week I'll go in and see someone, but for now I'll take it easy and maybe ride my bike in a few days.