Most Embarrassing (Humorous) Exercise Moment

Options
A fellow cyclist on my Facebook page started this about cycling but it could happen in most every form of exercise. The point is to be able to relate to the fact that things WILL go wrong but we go on. Please share your stories....Here's one of mine.

In the last couple of years I have taken up road cycling again and went to "clips" to get the most from these old legs. There is a standing rule that says everyone will fall three times while making the conversion and, at least, one fall will be in front of a group of people. I had completed my quota easily enough and thought I was safe....wrong!

I was standing one sunny afternoon with a group of cyclists at the top of a ridge waiting for the tail end riders to catch up and feeling quite satisfied that I was not one of them. Suddenly the wind changed directions and I felt my center of balance change towards the foot I had left clipped into the pedal. I started to fall over sideways without noise and proceded slowly enough to watch all of my companions change from upright to fairly perpendicular to my new position where I landed without a sound. There I lay with one leg under the bicycle my shoe still firmly connected to the pedal trying to find a way to gracefully disconnect my shoe, get back up and continue the ride. Though no one was laughing, I could see them trying to conceal smirks behind gloved hands and water bottles!

Now you!!

Replies

• TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    That sucks! At least everyone was nice to you.

This isn't my story, but I revel in it...

My bf and I were at the gym. Both of us were on leg day and he was doing squats.... you can probably guess what happened...

And of course his gym pants rip right through the butt! Like a nice big 8 inch rip! It was still early in our work out, so he had to finish with the extra breeze.

I still giggle. :)
  • 29bubbles
    29bubbles Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    LOL! That's a good one!

I was taking a break from a 60 mile ride and muching on a power bar when I spotting this GIANT ant. I watched it for a while and really thought nothing of it. As I began to ride again and got up to a decent stride (decent for me that is) I saw the gaint ant on my center bar crawling closer to my legs with it's large ant teeth ready and willing to take a chunck out of me! Well, not really, but that's what I was thinking anyway. Lol. Then, just a second later, I saw a catapiller on the trail right in front of me and without thinking swirved to avoid squishing it. Down I went. I did get my foot out..but it was the wrong foot! I fell to the right with my left foot out of the clip. I'm sure the people behind my thought I was I moroon. I looked for the ant...it was gone.. and the catipillar did make it to the other side of the trail in one piece.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Can't tell you how many times my exercise ball has mysteriously vanished from underneath me and I land on the floor...ouch. It's not so bad when you're actually exercising, but as some of you know I also have a ball at work that I use 1/2 days *(usually) and one time a couple months ago I was trying to balance on it and totally lost my equilibrium and fell right off of it. I'm in a cubicle and smashed up into my file cabinets which made the loudest noise and pretty much made the entire office shake (or at least that is what it felt like). My coworkers will never let me live it down. I don't blame them.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    This one didn't happen to me. In middle school, we had a Presidential fitness test. I was paired up with my friend that was a real go-getter. We proceeded through the tests counting for one another as we went. Then we got to the sit up challenge, and I was instructed to hold her feet. They said go, and she was off! Her first sit-up produced a little "poot." With each subsequent sit-up, she let out a poot and they kept increasing in volume. Of course, she was laughing which made things worse.

There I was holding her feet (right in the action) and was just mortified for her. I couldn't look her in the eyes as every time she came up, she passed gas. She was too determined to stop, and told me to keep holding her feet (a true sign of friendship...or idiocy). Everyone around us began to laugh too. If it were me, I would've stopped, but she "steamed" right through till the end of the 2 minute test. I got a great ab workout laughing. I don't think I will ever forget it. When I think about it, I still blush for her.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    :laugh: @ Pressica's---too funny!
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Hi tipusnr! I think all cyclists who clip in feel your pain. Last summer I went riding with a friend down in Ocean City, Md. We were having a great ride and were within blocks of finishing. I don't know if you've ever been on that stretch of the Coastal Hwy, but it's about 8 lanes wide. We stopped with traffic at a light (gigantic, busy intersection) and a started to lean to the left (right foot was free) and just tipped over, same as you, on the ground, one foot still attatched. :laugh: I had a huge audience (as I said, 8 lanes worth).
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Boy, that must haved looked ridiculous, especially to those who have no idea what clipless pedals even are. At least you did it with a bunch of cyclists. Even if they won't admit it, I bet they've all done it! :laugh:
  • tipusnr
    tipusnr Posts: 572
    Options
    @Skywalker. Yes, Strangely we did cycle that stretch of road on vacation a couple of years ago. Thanks for the story!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I apologize before this post... a fellow mfper posted this, but it's worth sharing.

I was in the restaurant yesterday when I suddenly realized I desperately needed to pass gas.
    The music was really, really loud, so I timed my gas with the beat of the music.
    After a couple of songs, I started to feel better. I finished my coffee, and noticed that everybody was staring at me.
    ....Then I suddenly remembered that I was listening to my iPod.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Pressica - that's not a fart, it's a queef! And I think those are more embarrassing!
  • tipusnr
    Options
    @Dinos. Good story but I don't get the connection to exercise.:-)
  • KimuraCarter
    Options
    I have had a couple dance classes where we were supposed to be doing leaps across the floor, and because I was gassy, I would do one leap -- toot -- and then just not be able to keep going, because I was laughing. Luckily, they usually send us two at a time, so no one really noticed. I also tried to prank my teacher on April Fool's Day by switching out her iPod, but she saw me before I was done! ... and yes, I'm 29!

Additionally, my husband is a great skier. However, he has a tendency to fall down on skiis .... when doing absolutely nothing but standing still. LOL.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Well this happened to me a couple weeks ago. I was in the floor work out room at the gym doing my ab work out. There was this cute guy in there and we were making some eye contact. Well of course I had to toot while doing my ab work and I am not talking a quiet one. I heard this one over my headphones. I think my face got even redder then it already was but I finished my set like nothing happened and then walked out the door.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    This was when I was going to a gym to work out.

I was getting ready to do a set on the bench press. I miss judged where I was on the bench, and when I leaned back I cracked my head on the bar. I don't know if anyone noticed but it took me a couple of minutes to clear my head.
  • pressica
    Options
    Pressica - that's not a fart, it's a queef! And I think those are more embarrassing!

You are right, but I was trying to be as classy as I could while sharing such a gross story Arielle. Haha.
  • pressica
    Options
    This was when I was going to a gym to work out.

I was getting ready to do a set on the bench press. I miss judged where I was on the bench, and when I leaned back I cracked my head on the bar. I don't know if anyone noticed but it took me a couple of minutes to clear my head.

Oh ouch!! That just gave me a headache just thinking about it. I bet that hurt so bad!
  • buggaboo73
    buggaboo73 Posts: 169
    Options
    Well.....I always used to choose the treadmill by the big front picture windows of the gym. I would see my cousin regularly at the gym, and one night he waved goodbye, got in his car and (apparently) left. I didn't see him leave, so when a car similiar to his pulled up to the window (it was evening, getting dark) I thought it was him busting my chops so I start waving, sticking my tongue out, being obnoxious. Since I'm getting no reply I hop off the treadmill so I can see better, thinking I just can't see him because of the glare, and while I"m standing there wtih my nose pressed up to the glass the door opens so someone can get out and I realize IT'S NOT HIM.

In my haste to hop back on the treadmill and act like nothing happened I forgot it was STILL ON and when I stepped on it I tripped and made an even bigger fool of myself. OMG It was embarassing.....but hilarious I have to admit!
  • tipusnr
    Options
    @buggaboo...."That there's funny - I don't care who ya are!"
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    One evening i was cycling with a friend along a country cycle path, the kind that has gates along the way to keep the livestock in.

As i approached one of these gates i swung my right leg up and over the seat to dismount in order to open the gate for my friend to cycle through... only i have toe cages on my pedals and had 'forgotten' to remove my left foot from the cage, and just fell over sideways and landed with a very heavy bump onto my bottom!

It seemed to take an age before i 'landed' lol but my friend told me that i was very graceful!! lol

What a twit! :noway: :laugh:
  • tipusnr
    Options
    @Jax....never considered toe cages as hazardous before. You've really enlightened me! :laugh:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Buggaboo, that totally sounds like something I'd do! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jax, nice one! :laugh: :drinker: