Replies

• beccalabgal
    beccalabgal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump - Shopping for one of these. . .
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Ok, the fitbit products are not HRM's. It does track your exertion through your SPEED. It categorizes time as sedentary/lightly active/moderately active/very active. The fitbits exist to help you gauge how active you are and encourage you to be more so outside of Zumba. If you want to workout within target heart ranges or get more precise exercise details, you need a HRM. I wear my flex all the time, but I still use a Polar when I "work out". FYI, i use Runtastic with my Polar, and when I sync to MFP, MFP overrides my step activity during that same period so that my steps aren't counted "twice."
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I have the one. The first few weeks I would take it off while I slept as a subconscious act since I don't like having things like jewelry, etc on my person for long periods if time. I'm used to it now, so it manages to stay in place. I have accidentally thrown it in the wash, but luckily retrieved it before the wash started to really get going. Overall though I love it, it's a great motivator.

BTW anyone looking to get one should check out Amazon, I just checked & they are currently selling them for $89 + free shipping if your a prime member.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I started out with the Ultra over a year ago and when that went wonky, I emailed Fitbit and they sent me a One to replace my Ultra. I LOVE it.

Yes, it is small, but that is what I like about it. I can throw it in my pocket or latch it to my bra and nobody needs to know that I'm obsessed with how my steps I take a day. I use the activity feature when I am doing non-walking or running exercises and have been really successful with my fitness levels increasing.

I especially LOVE that when I set it to activity and go for a walk/run I know just how fast I am going as well.

I don't have any experience with the Flex, but my personal opinion is that I wouldn't want a bracelet that would be visible to everyone all day.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • dsimmons107
    dsimmons107 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well I started with the Ultra, then the One and now the flex. I am an early adopter. I love my flex. It took some getting accustom to since I was able to looking at my steps and other data on the Ultra and the One. The flex gives you feed back through 5 leds. Each led represents 20% of the goal that you have set. When you reaches 100% they all turn solid. I never take it off except to charge about once a week. The one I have is very accurate. I walk the same routes all of the time so I know how many steps I should get and it gives me the same steps as my ultra and one did. It does not track stairs climbed like the other devices but I was okay with that. I love the flex.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've had the flex for about a week and a half and I love it so far.

Is it going to be the primary factor in me losing weight? Of course not, but it's a useful tool that puts data in my face that helps me quantify activity and causes me to be at least a little bit more active.

I also have a Polar HRM, and I've tested calories burned while running with both the Polar and the Flex at the same time. In several 5-mile runs, I've always found the two to be within 10% of each other, with the HRM always showing more calories burned than the Flex.

I'm one of those people who really likes having a ton of data to work with, and I really like looking at the sleep tracking. I love that it tells me things like "You were in bed for 9 hours, but only slept 7 1/2 because you woke up and/or were restless 12 times". It may not be the most useful information, but I find it interesting that I can quantify how calmly I sleep.

I also get up several times in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, but never really knew how many times; now I know. :)

ETA: I also think that the integration with MFP is pretty good. I don't have to double-log anything.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It can't count calories if it's NOT ON MY PERSON. I have 45 days to request a refund for any reason, so it's going back.
    Actually, it isn't counting calories, the software is. The Fitbit software gives an estimate of Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) based upon your input which is higher than your BMR.The Flex and the Fitbit One (and I have the Ultra) merely "count" motion in the form of "steps" and changes in altitude (vertically up) when it senses motion. It reports that to the software, which then computes how much additional energy, in the form of calories, you have expended.

The only way you are not burning calories is if you are dead. As in no heart rate, no blood pressure, no breathing rate. If you want something that ONLY gives a calorie estimate for step counting, then get a standard pedometer (e.g., OMRON walking pedometer) that does not report or otherwise rely upon software to make that computation. No steps...no ADDITIONAL calories reported. Besides, the Fitbit software (like a number of others) is designed to work with calorie intake to help you adjust in a limited range or maintain your weight, if that is what you are trying to do.

But you've still burned calories just fuming about the way you think it should be, rather than the way it is.
  • delfonzo2000
    delfonzo2000 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I L O V E my Fitbit One!! I could rave about it all day, so I'll just leave it at that! :heart:
  • elansc
    elansc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My flex arrived on Monday and so far so good -- I am finding that it counts walking pretty accurately (much better than the many pedometers that I have tried over the years) -- when I am sitting unfortunately knows that I am sitting.... :laugh: A friend has the fitbit one and it sounds like it is a bit more bossy than the flex (reminds you to get up and walk around etc) but the last thing I needed was "someone" else to boss me around. Seriously, like a lot of people on this board I decided to wait for the flex because I knew the fitbit one would end up in the washing machine eventually!!
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a one and was interested in the flex, but I am not always able to sync it with a phone or computer. The idea of not having a display on the flex was a deal killer for me. I've had my one for about 6 months. Works great so I won't be switching.
  • gnarlynoodle
    gnarlynoodle Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultra and love it. last week I upgraded to the Flex. DON'T BOTHER! The band did not close. I wrote them 4 times to return it. It took them over 5 days to respond. Their customer service is horrible. I would look int alternatives. How bout a BodyMedia? I would never recommend Fitbit.

I have to agree with this. I have the One and while I *love* the product itself the customer service has completely turned me off from ever spending another dime with that company. It really is a shame because, like I said, I love my One. It really encourages me to stay off my butt.

I've heard GREAT things about BodyMedia!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

To me, having the One in my pocket meant I'd forget about it and was way more inclined to cheat. My normal weekly wardrobe is business casual, so clipping it to my pants wasn't an option. Either an exec would make me remove it, or it would hit on something at my desk and pop out of the silicone case. However, as someone that takes 5 flights of stairs a few times a day, the stair tracker was a nice option.

You wear something under your pants right? Boxers, jocks? You can clip it on there & it would not be noticed at all. I have mine on my underwear ALL the time & nobody even knows it's there at all..... better than having it on the outside where it may pop out. Also stickied back velcro on both One & casing inside will hold in firmly in & never pop out anyway.

I don't know why people put it on the outside of their pants at all.... underwear is firmly against you at all times...right on the hip bone.... best place for accurate count of steps.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultra and love it. last week I upgraded to the Flex. DON'T BOTHER! The band did not close. I wrote them 4 times to return it. It took them over 5 days to respond. Their customer service is horrible. I would look int alternatives. How bout a BodyMedia? I would never recommend Fitbit.

I have to agree with this. I have the One and while I *love* the product itself the customer service has completely turned me off from ever spending another dime with that company. It really is a shame because, like I said, I love my One. It really encourages me to stay off my butt.

I've heard GREAT things about BodyMedia!

Customer service are brilliant. My One was wonky after a few days, they sent out a new one & my hubby now has the other one. They didn't even ask for it back to confirm. Just sent out a new one. Never had a problem with CS there at all. I not only recommend Fitbit but got one for a person on here & also one for my son. Even my PT was impressed & got one for his mum and one for his dad.
  • seblagg
    seblagg Posts: 42
    Options
    It can't count calories if it's NOT ON MY PERSON. I have 45 days to request a refund for any reason, so it's going back.

All fitbits count calories even when they're not attached to you. I have the zip, take it off every night and it has counted calories that I theoretically should have been burning overnight. It's designed to do that so that it acurately counts the calories you burned throughout the day. You still burn calories, even if you're just sleeping or sitting in a chair.