Give up alcohol with me?

Options

Replies

• Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    Well done to you but I am afraid I can't join in.
    I am in training with my Bubba Cup for the next 2 weeks before my summer holiday! LOL
  • Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    IN. i went from a few drinks a night to a few drinks a month. i sleep better, i eat less, im losing weight, i have more energy, and i have more money in my pocket. im more present. its funny how something that seemed so necessary in my life is now so unimportant to me, i dont miss it at all.
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    sorry im irish

Sorry about that :o)
  • emibrus1
    emibrus1 Posts: 59
    Options
    After growing up with an alcoholic father and putting him through rehab 6 times in the past 2 years (He is financially ruined and without insurance so I pay for it...what choice do I have if he wants to go ya know?) giving up alcohol is absolutely no problem @_@ I can't even smell whiskey without seeing him convulsing and ****ting himself on my living room floor.

He's a great man but a terrible father.

Best of luck to you! I've seen first hand how difficult it can be...whether it's a bottle of Jim or a glass of wine!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a good idea to take a break from alcohol periodically. If I were you, I would try to go completely booze-free for a month--give your liver and kidneys a chance to recover. You might find that once you start drinking again, it will not take as much alcohol for you to feel a buzz.

Oh, and I would measure your pours, when you do drink. A restaurant/bar pour is usually bigger than what a standard "serving" is--measuring your wine at home will give you an idea of how much you are getting when you go out.
  • fancynance77
    fancynance77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So I'm going to join. Not because I've a problem. I drink very little but every weekend. My problem is this. I can't metabolise it anymore. I feel horrible for days after 2 drinks. I can't sleep and I will vomit the next day and have diahrea. It's just not worth it. The fitter I get and the cleaner my diet the less I can tolerate alcohol.

Oh and I'm Irish too so I will be like an Alien to all my friends and family!!!
  • bumblebums
    Options
    So I'm going to join. Not because I've a problem. I drink very little but every weekend. My problem is this. I can't metabolise it anymore. I feel horrible for days after 2 drinks. I can't sleep and I will vomit the next day and have diahrea. It's just not worth it. The fitter I get and the cleaner my diet the less I can tolerate alcohol.

Whoa, really? Does this vomiting/sleeplessness happen when you have, say, a single 5 oz glass of white wine?
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    Sorry Em it must have been awful for you to see your father like that. Alcohol is addictive - we all know that and yet are surprised that giving it up is hard!

And I am lol'ing at Irish people apologising to Wineways for giving up the drink. :o)
  • laurennxmariee
    laurennxmariee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i'm also doing a 2-3 week alcohol detox! i used to be the same way you are with wine (i never missed a single Wine Down Wednesday (half off all bottles of wine at my favorite cool asian bar/restaurant) since i turned 21, plus saturday nights were my drinking nights as well. In between, i would also have wine with dinner or just because i could and i always felt like such **** (plus it helped me gain back the almost 30 lbs i had lost right before then). i'm back to eating completely clean and healthy (minus a little treat here and there for my sanity lol) and without the alcohol i feel so much better! yes it's definitely hard being 22 and going out to eat/drink with my boyfriend and watching him devour boneless wings with honey bbq sauce on them and fries and a 24 oz beer while i'm eating my black bean burger with a little cheese, lettuce, tomato, and dressing on the side with a side of celery and carrot sticks and drinking a big old glass or 3 of ice cold water. it was hard but once i walked out of there and had fully resisted the temptation, i felt on top of the world knowing that i did have that amount of self control and i could say no to my delicious bahama mamas and mango mojitos and boneless wings and still be satisfied and damn proud! (sorry for such a rant lol)

anyone feel free to add me! always looking for new friends for support :]
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    I've significantly decreased my alcohol intake this year in attempt to lose weight. I love wine (and cheese and chocolate) and I LOVE craft beer. So it is a struggle but a sacrifice I am hoping with be well worth it!
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love drinking, so I've gone quite a bit of research about it online....

Biggest problem with drinking is that your body sees it as a poison and works as hard as it can to get it out, whilst basically shutting down your metabolism.

A tip that I found online is to not eat bad food prior to drinking. Of course it's recommended to eat before you drink, but low quality foods will be stored as fat since the body is focused on the alcohol. Better to store some higher quality foods?

I don't know how true all of that is, but it makes sense.... even if just the placebo affect. If I'm going to drink alchy, I make sure to eat well beforehand :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Haven't had very much alcohol in the last few months. Almost always something I'd rather eat instead. Best of luck.
  • granitendirt
    Options
    My vice is beer. Seriously, that is how I put on 10 pounds in a year. I wasn't eating differently, I'm just a very social person... And most social outings revolved around taverns :)

Over the past 6 months I've become much better. I no longer have the random weeknight beer, for the most part. I've also laid off on the liquor (I didn't think of it as having calories, which is not true, even straight).

Last night was the first night in several weeks that I actually got kind of drunk. It took 3 beers. Although fun at the time, I woke up today feeling markedly less rested and also bloated. I don't know how I used to do this several nights a week. Blah.
  • fancynance77
    fancynance77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Whoa, really? Does this vomiting/sleeplessness happen when you have, say, a single 5 oz glass of white wine?

A single very small glass is ok and I normally but sparkling water in too. But if I've two of these then I feel like I used to feel after 6 or 7 drinks
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    Day 3 for me! Am going out tonight to see The Wanted so will see how I go. I may have to be drunk to sit through Walk Like Rihanna :o)
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I really love the support here! I gotta say, when I mentioned to my friends back in January that I was cutting back on alcohol they didn't discourage me but they didn't necessarily understand. This is great! Makes me feel so sane. :-)
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I love alcohol I cannot drink it in portion control one is not enough and they dont make enough. I gave it up quite some time ago with some help and if you are having issues yourself maybe you should seek outside help be it counsling/support groups. Only you can decide. Best of Luck to all of you.
  • bumblebums
    Options

A single very small glass is ok and I normally but sparkling water in too. But if I've two of these then I feel like I used to feel after 6 or 7 drinks

I would either experiment with what you are drinking (perhaps you're allergic or sensitive to some types of alcohol) or make certain rules for yourself. For example, never drink on an empty stomach or without food to accompany the drinks.

Or perhaps you just need to become one of The Inebriati, and stop at slightly less than two drinks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zj50DmBFp0
  • ladylemoncurd
    Options
    Inebriati :o) Love it, that's me to a tee
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I love drinking, so I've gone quite a bit of research about it online....

Biggest problem with drinking is that your body sees it as a poison and works as hard as it can to get it out, whilst basically shutting down your metabolism.

A tip that I found online is to not eat bad food prior to drinking. Of course it's recommended to eat before you drink, but low quality foods will be stored as fat since the body is focused on the alcohol. Better to store some higher quality foods?

I don't know how true all of that is, but it makes sense.... even if just the placebo affect. If I'm going to drink alchy, I make sure to eat well beforehand :)
    The body doesn't store anything as fat while it's metabolizing alcohol. It's too busy metabolizing the alcohol to convert everything else you've eaten into fat for storage. People don't gain fat because they eat and drink alcohol at the same time. People gain fat because the alcohol lowers their inhibitions and they eat more than they should. If you stick to your calories, you won't gain fat, even if you drink.