My weight loss/fitness journey thus far! PICS!

Options
2»

Replies

• sglaser06
    sglaser06 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi jblackjr -

I'm just curious how many days a week you run?

I am in a very similar situation to you. I started this at 256 pounds. I am now down to 233 just strictly running. I am running my first 5k timed race in July and I'm hoping to get down to about 200 by the end of the year. I'm currently running about 3-4 days a week. I'm just curious how much you ran a week when your first started and if that number has changed at all.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi jblackjr -

I am in a very similar situation to you. I started this at 256 pounds. I am now down to 233 just strictly running. I am running my first 5k timed race in July and I'm hoping to get down to about 200 by the end of the year. I'm currently running about 3-4 days a week. I'm just curious how much you ran a week when your first started and if that number has changed at all.

When I first started C25K I just did the recommended 3 days a week. Once I finished the C25K I would not run anything less that 3.1 miles, I soon bumped it up to 4 days a week and started slowly increasing my miles one of those days. Since that point I have ran 6 5Ks improving my time from 34:13 to 25:46 and I have ran one 10k at 56:14. Currently I am training for my first half and I run 5 days a week. This week I have scheduled to run 24 miles and I will increase that by roughly 2-3 miles a week until I peek at 40 miles for the week.

It's tough starting out but stick with it and you will notice huge improvements in your running as you increase your mileage and lose more weight.
  • sglaser06
    sglaser06 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi jblackjr -

When I first started C25K I just did the recommended 3 days a week. Once I finished the C25K I would not run anything less that 3.1 miles, I soon bumped it up to 4 days a week and started slowly increasing my miles one of those days. Since that point I have ran 6 5Ks improving my time from 34:13 to 25:46 and I have ran one 10k at 56:14. Currently I am training for my first half and I run 5 days a week. This week I have scheduled to run 24 miles and I will increase that by roughly 2-3 miles a week until I peek at 40 miles for the week.

It's tough starting out but stick with it and you will notice huge improvements in your running as you increase your mileage and lose more weight.

Thanks for the info! I am running about 2.5 - 3.1 miles at a time currently. I have to walk for about 20 seconds maybe twice in that distance span just to slow my heart rate down a litte. I know this is pretty much just mental, but I haven't gotten over it yet. I ran a 5k by myself two days ago and finished in 35:45. I'm hoping to get that down a bit for my timed race in July.
  • jblackjr
    jblackjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi jblackjr -

Thanks for the info! I am running about 2.5 - 3.1 miles at a time currently. I have to walk for about 20 seconds maybe twice in that distance span just to slow my heart rate down a litte. I know this is pretty much just mental, but I haven't gotten over it yet. I ran a 5k by myself two days ago and finished in 35:45. I'm hoping to get that down a bit for my timed race in July.

Timing yourself and actually participating in a 5K are still very different. You will find yourself running faster in the 5K. Plus you still have a few weeks. Given your time you just gave me I'm going to say you will run it somewhere in the 33-34 min range. So be sure to udpate me :) Also feel free to come on over to www.runningahead.com and do a search for the user group Beginners and beyond. A lot of good info can be found on the runningahead site and all the people in the user group I am in are very supportive and nice.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!