I keep binging in the Night

Options
I keep binging in the Night. Its always only the night. I do so good in the day and exercise. But the when night time comes Im a mess. I eat enough food in the day. Im not starving myself. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Replies

• kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Yep. Things that help:
    1. Change up your night time routine so you're not around food. Go for a walk, talk on the phone, get out of the house.
    2. If you need to eat in the evening, make it veggies or a healthy protein snack
    3. Avoid the food triggers. If it's watching TV that triggers you to want to eat, don't watch.
  • OliviaVandenberg
    Options
    I think most people struggle with this, I know I do. I battle it by eating a well balanced dinner around 7 and going to bed around 10. That way I don't have a lot of time to get hungry before bed and I get up pretty early. I also make sure my dinner includes quite a bit of protein which suppresses hunger. If I am hungry before bed, like if I'm up late I have a protein shake before bed. Casein is the best protein to have before bed because absorbed slower by your muscles than whey so it will help your muscles build through the night.

Other than that I try to just not keep foods that are bad in the house so if I am tempted to have a late night snack its something healthy at least.

Hope this helps!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Do you binge before bed or after you go to bed?
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake at night now. It fills me up and keeps me from mindlessly snacking which was what I used to do almost every night.
  • blackeraser
    Options
    Do you binge before bed or after you go to bed?

before by like 2 hours
  • bethsell
    bethsell Posts: 2
    Options
    I found boredom to be the culprit for my evening munchies. I needed something to keep my mind AND my hands busy. Scrap booking got the creative side flowing so my mind is occupied and so are my hands, blogging, crocheting, sewing, cleaning weird things like the base boards or giving the dog a bath. ANYTHING to keep the mind and the hands busy.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    So what are you not dealing with in your life emotionally? Sounds like you are unconsciously trying to stuff something back inside!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    For me, it is always right before bed that my cravings hit. I don't log my food here on MFP - I have a journal that I carry with me everywhere. I always look to it and if I have any calories left that I can eat - I will go for a teaspoon of PB or even a iced fudge bar (45 calories). Good luck!
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    If you are unhappy with binging, you could try googling.

Sorry, couldn't resist
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I second a lot of the advice above. If you're not under eating and you're not physically hungry there's something else going on. Are you tired? I find myself craving carbs in the evening if I'm tired and trying to stay up. Many of us are chronically sleep deprived. We're just so used to burning the candle at both ends, it seems normal. Maybe try to get some more sleep. Melatonin works wonders for me when I'm tired, but keyed up. Oh, and lay off the caffeine in the afternoon if that's one of your vices/pleasures.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself hungry at night consider saving a few calories through out the day so you can have a snack or two at night. If you know you have the calories set aside for something it might help with the "must eat it all" mentality of binging.
  • zagaramom
    zagaramom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the same exact problem as you!! I can do great all day, but come night time, I'm off to the races. Dog needs to go out? Grab a snack. Need a cigarette? Grab a snack. TV is boring? Grab a snack? Talking on the phone? Grab a snack. Any reason/excuse will do....boredom, overthinking, restless, too tired, too awake. While I may agree that sometimes it has to do with "stuffing" feelings, that is not always the case. Sometimes its just a bad habit that needs to be broken. When my husband and I went on the 28 day Fast Metabolism Diet, the hardest part was giving up the snacking at night. And it wasn't because I was hungry. For me, it was pure and simple habit. /with some craving thrown in for good measure. the cravings went away after a couple days and the habit was broken in two weeks. After that, I was fine and hardly even gave it a second thought. Now that I'm not on that food plan any more, I find that I don't snack as much at night and I definitely think before i mindlessly eat. Sometimes a glass of water or a cup of tea will do the trick. Or one square of dark chocolate. Hope this helps.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I found boredom to be the culprit for my evening munchies. I needed something to keep my mind AND my hands busy. Scrap booking got the creative side flowing so my mind is occupied and so are my hands, blogging, crocheting, sewing, cleaning weird things like the base boards or giving the dog a bath. ANYTHING to keep the mind and the hands busy.

This is what I do to keep the nighttime binge at bay; I keep my hands busy. I play computer games and before I know it it's time to go to sleep and I haven't eaten anything.

It's also important to plan ahead and know when you are going to sleep so you can plan to when to eat. If there's a night I stay up late unexpectedly I get super hungry!
  • jillbeanschoop
    jillbeanschoop Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I fill a large glass with water and then put about 1/2 cup of frozen fruit in it. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries. And sip on that instead of eating. Helps a lot for me.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Eat your diner and brush your teeth just right after. It works for me as I don't want to keep brushing them all night long! Then, go to bed early, like 9 pm.
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    i find myself the happiest when ive left at least 50% of my daily cals for the evening (dinner and late snacks)
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Take some melatonin after dinner, it'll put u to sleep...
  • obiegirl
    obiegirl Posts: 28
    Options
    What about planning in some calories for a small night-time snack? I tend to stay up late, so it's usually about 6 hours between when I eat dinner and go to bed. I find that a small snack a couple of hours before bed really helps - cereal and almond milk, rice cake with a small amount of peanut butter, etc. You could also try drinking tea or decaf coffee; that often fills me up more than just water in the evening. Also, brush your teeth or chew gum...