Disappointed with 30ds Results

So I just finished the 30ds yesterday and felt good and was happy I completed it-however I expected to see better results. I guess because I saw drastic results with peoples pictures on here.
Here were my starting stats:

Sm waist-30"
Hips-37'
Bust-39'
Under Bust-31'
Upper Thigh-19'
Upper Arm-11'

Finishing:

Sm waist-30'
Hips-36.5
Bust-37 3/4"
Under Bust-30'
Upper Thigh-20"
Upper Arm-12'

When I keep remeasuring at times...I feel like I get a different number every friggen time as well! So ok I lost maybe 2-3 in give or take, but thats it! AND I somehow went UP in inches on my thigh and arm! WTH. very frustrating. I havent weighed myself yet but I dont expect to see much if I didnt even lose much in inches. I am so frustrated. I also took before and after pictures and see no change. I dont get it.

Replies

• Siobhanj77
    Siobhanj77 Posts: 10 Member
    What was your diet like during the 30 days?

I am on Day 22, but my diet has been up & down so haven't really seen great results so far. I feel fitter than I did when I started though and see minor changes to my shape that maybe only I would notice.
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    I stayed within my calorie range except for the first week and on saturdays, but even then I wasnt absolutely ridiculous...just really disappointed. I definitely feel ALOT better and Im glad I did it all the way through and have gotten in the habit of working out everyday, so if anything that is a good thing. I think Ill see better results with cardio and strength training every other day which is what I am doing now. I am gonna try and clean up my eating as well...less processed stuff but I do like that stuff...ahh sucks.
  • Those are awesome results! Major changes aren't usually healthy nor do they last. Slow and steady definitely have the best long term results. I hope my results are that good in 3 weeks. (I actually gained 2" on my waist after the first week...bloat???)

Congrats! You will have twice that next month at this time!!
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    I stayed within my calorie range except for the first week and on saturdays, but even then I wasnt absolutely ridiculous...just really disappointed. I definitely feel ALOT better and Im glad I did it all the way through and have gotten in the habit of working out everyday, so if anything that is a good thing. I think Ill see better results with cardio and strength training every other day which is what I am doing now. I am gonna try and clean up my eating as well...less processed stuff but I do like that stuff...ahh sucks.

Well what is your calorie range? A lot of women (especially on MFP) don't eat enough. I'd recomment calculating your TDEE based on your age height and current weight. A good calculator is here, http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/. From the number it gives you, subtract 15%-20% and you will lose weight. For example, I'm 5'10", 183 lbs. With no exercise in my life I should eat 1,730 calories a day.

ETA: If you are working on your last 10 pounds, it will be slower. I'm in the same boat. Playing with my macros and cutting carbs is working for me
  • You stuck with something for 30 days. I have a really hard time with consistency so my hats off to you for doing something I have not been able to yet accomplish.:drinker:

That said I feel for you that you didn't get the result you were after. I think your plan to re-evaluate your diet and do cardio and strengh every other day is a good one. At least you have developed a healthy habit and can move forward with the habit to different kinds of exercise.

If you can do 30DS you can do this.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Did you do the whole shred for all thirty days? Or just level one?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    you are thin to begin with. granted i don't know your height, but your measurements are pretty good and indicate some measure of fitness.

this means you won't get such a bang for your buck.

you get out what you put in, did you keep up the whole time, sweating bullets? my yoga would be covered in sweat when i was finished.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    What result were you expecting exactly? Too many people think they can do one of these 30 Day shred or P90X or whatever and think they're going to come out looking like the people on the covers. That's all marketing. To me it looks like you had good results. Major changes and a "fitness" body come with years of dedication to proper diet and fitness, not 30-90 days.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    There really is truth in "You are what you eat."

You eat processed food, you will have a "processed" body.

Results don't come from crap food... they come with proper nutrition and exercise.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    A whole week and Saturdays seems like a lot but I don't know what you were eating. But if your eating was not on target for at least 1/3 of the time I'm sure that would affect your results.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    i was unhappy with my results as well. I followed the easier girl, did each lesson for 2 weeks @ 6 days a week. ate a calorie deficit. But you know what? I did it again, still disappointed cause I don't look like a 26 year old hiphop dancer, but idc, I did it, it was fun, and I am stronger for it.

For the record, I eat really good, check my diary Footie. So it doesn't just come down to quality of food.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    besaro - I agree, you do eat well.

Mind you, some days you don't eat enough and others you eat too much.

Chocolate treats almost everyday will hold you back. Cliff bars are processed. I eat crap food sometimes too - check my diary, I LOVE chocolate... and wine, God I love wine! BUT, I subject myself to once or twice a week to indulge.

Anyway... quality of food is important... you also have to think, you lost 84lbs, that's freakin' outstanding! Congradulations :smile:

When you reach a certain point, lifting HEAVY will make the scale move... 30 day shred will help tone, but you need weights to get the definition and gain muscle to increase your muscle mass and help elevate your metabolism.

Ok - it's time for me to shut up. I'm going to Shred :bigsmile:
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    It's only 30 days - I don't understand what you were expecting?

If it only took a month to get ripped then it wouldn't be impressive at all and nobody would ever have a reason to make or buy "get ripped in 30 days", or whatever her next DVD is.
  • Maybe bring the DVD back to where you purchased it and get your money back. Thanks for the heads up, I was going to try it but not anymore!
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    JM recommends eating 1200-1300 calories the whole time which I think is too low. I saw one woman get great results from eating that and doing the shred, but I just wonder how long someone would want to eat only that much. :ohwell:
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member

When I keep remeasuring at times...I feel like I get a different number every friggen time as well! So ok I lost maybe 2-3 in give or take, but thats it! AND I somehow went UP in inches on my thigh and arm! WTH. very frustrating. I havent weighed myself yet but I dont expect to see much if I didnt even lose much in inches. I am so frustrated. I also took before and after pictures and see no change. I dont get it.

thighs and arms going up isn't really such a bad thing because I know a lot of those dvd's that she makes are helping tone and refine muscle so your arms and thighs could have just gotten more definition without you realizing it maybe?
  • Tigg1011
    Thx all for the responses.

Firstly-I wasnt expecting some drastic changes in a 30 day period, just more than what I got- and why? Because I have seen peoples posts on here with their results and they were very impressive!

Secondly-since starting the shred I went from eating 1200 cal/day to 1400 or more based on my TDEE-20%. I have a fitbit and usually go by that number for my intake. Maybe thats also the reason because I have been eating more due to that?

Thirdly- I did all 3 levels 10 days each

My stats are 5'2 1/2 in. 139 when I started, 141 the end of the week at the first weigh in. Havent weighed myself since because I was getting discouraged.

Thanks to the person who said I was thin already, that was nice to hear lol I just dont feel like I am and I wanna get in the best shape I can by my wedding in Nov. Like I said, I feel! better and I felt I looked better until I saw comparison pictures and my actual results. I am proud that I stuck with something for 30 days, that in itself is an accomplishment so maybe I should shutup and be happy just with that? Just though my results would be comparative to people's here is all.

Edited: to add something in.
  • Tigg1011
    Btw Yes! I am on my last ten lbs!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    besaro - I agree, you do eat well.

Mind you, some days you don't eat enough and others you eat too much.

Chocolate treats almost everyday will hold you back. Cliff bars are processed. I eat crap food sometimes too - check my diary, I LOVE chocolate... and wine, God I love wine! BUT, I subject myself to once or twice a week to indulge.

Anyway... quality of food is important... you also have to think, you lost 84lbs, that's freakin' outstanding! Congradulations :smile:

When you reach a certain point, lifting HEAVY will make the scale move... 30 day shred will help tone, but you need weights to get the definition and gain muscle to increase your muscle mass and help elevate your metabolism.

Ok - it's time for me to shut up. I'm going to Shred :bigsmile:

1. Chocolate treats everyday are not going to hold you back. Besaro eats amazingly whole, healthy food and a piece of chocolate everyday is not going to undo all the nutrition she puts in her body.

2. I think the point of her post was that she is learning to be happy with her body. Knowing that all the workouts she does is not going to turn back the hands of time or give her someone else's body. She is loving moving her body and doing the workouts for the fun of it, not to achieve unattainable results.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Do you have pics before and after? I think that would give you a better idea. Maybe you have more muscle definition?