Heart Rate Monitor?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mooreshd
    Mooreshd Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was concerned that I would regret buying a heart rate monitor. I bought my Polar FT4 from Amazon last week. BEST INVESTMENT! I don't regret it. It motivates me so much. I love it so much, that I just ordered my mom on yesterday.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT4! Worth the money!
  • _dinorah
    _dinorah Posts: 11
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4. I absolutely love it.... i don't know how truly accurate it is at calculating calories burned but it's definitely really good to have as a consistent method of measurement. it also motivates me. The Polar FT4 really encouraged me to work out harder. I love looking at my watch to see how many calories I burned so far. lol. While I work out, I just see the points accumulate and I'm like... "I got to go higher!" lol. SO i work out harder, I push myself harder. My first workout with my HRM was easily the best work out I've ever had. It was the first time I really pushed my self and came out the gym sweating profusely. And I was so sore and exhausted but I felt exhilarated. Definitely a must have.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I have this exact same one, and I LOVE it. It's so nice to know what you're actually burning instead of trying to guess. I find it to actually push me more during my workout because I WANT to see the calories burned number go up up up!!!!!!!! :) Definitely worth it and highly recommended.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 210 (one of the said pricier options) and am in love with it. I've had for almost a year now and am still happy. It has a rechargeable battery, gps to calculate distance and track routes, calorie counter, heart rate monitor, timer, and tons more features. I know it will maintain is usefulness over the years.
  • srob98
    srob98 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I own a Polar FT7 and you can swim with it. You cannot PUSH the buttons of the watch underwater though. I have heard others put it in a ziploc baggie just to be safe and stuff it in their suit :)

THE LIMITATIONS OF HRMs:

HRMs are for tracking steady state cardio. It is important to note that HRMs are not accurate for weight lifting and will not give you an accurate burn. They are also not meant for HIIT. Temperature extremes and daily burn tracking (e.g. I wear it all day to find out what I should be taking in) are also inaccurate. HRMs are for steady state aerobic exercise only!

This is a helpful blog post on the subject:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Edited to Add: I still like to wear my HRM during lifting and HIIT, but I do NOT use it for tracking calorie burns. I use it to keep track of my HR (e.g. it is up high enough during sets/intervals and coming back down during rest periods).

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this information!!

I had no idea! One of the things I really was hoping to measure is my weightlifting class. It is a little aerobic....but I am sure not enough. Crummy!

I still think it would be good to kind of find an in-between of what MFP says about calories burned, what the machine or the class says, and what the HRM says....

And, from what I am reading, they are very inspirational! =)
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    in to get this in my list. Wanting a HRM myself, have to convince hubby now!
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I got an FT7 because my company wellness program gives me points for workouts that are electronically verified, and the FT7 is one compatible device.

I have to admit that the first one drove me crazy; it would "stick" at the same low heart rate 40 minutes into the workout, then jump 30 bpm. I finally bought a new chest strap and now I'm a happy camper. The old one had the transmitter that snapped on; the new one is built into the strap. And yes, it works while swimming (just did last night!) although I've read you shouldn't push buttons while in the water because the water could get onto the works.

A couple of weeks ago I ran a mile race in under 10 minutes. I looked up my time for the same race 6 years ago and it was a minute slower. The difference is definitely better workouts because I'm aware of the need to keep my heart rate at a decent rate.