AVOCADOS~~!!!

Options
I love avocados. Avocados are nature's medicine!

They contain monounsaturated fats that can help you lose weight and lower cholesterol! I like to incorporate at least 1/4 of an avocado into my diet almost everyday depending on how much we have at home.

Does anyone have any success stories from incorporating avocados into their diet? Or does anyone have awesome avocado recipes?!

Replies

• daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    When I have tuna I use a half of an avocado in place of mayo, tastes quite yummy
  • FocusEnergy
    Options
    That sounds yummmy!!!! I want to give it a try ...!!!
  • pegsol
    pegsol Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I make pico de gallo/salsa with 1 small tomato, chopped red or green onion, 2 serrano peppers (hot), a good amount of cilantro, fresh lime juice, and 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, 1/4 avocado, approx 1/4 cup low sodium v-8 juice. I spray with Pam , 2-4 corn tortillas and broil till crispy in my toaster oven. Mix it all in a bowl. serve with broken tortillas and celery sticks. The fresh garlic is crazy healthy for you, fighting viruses and bacteria and a lot more. The cilantro has been proven to cleanse the blood of heavy metals like mercury. All ingredients are super healthy. If I have a high amount of calories left to consume due to a lot of exercise, I up the avocado to 1/2. The fat in the avocado helps to absorb nutrients. I eat this almost every day or other day as a kind of health "tonic".
  • mandi_444
    mandi_444 Posts: 156
    Options
    When I make chicken salad or egg salad I use mashed up avocado instead of mayo... it's amazing :)
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I often make a dipping sauce for veggies and/or chicken and/or fish using half an avocado, a splash of lime juice, about a tbsp of minced garlic, some hot sauce and pepper. Very tasty!
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    When I make deviled eggs, I replace the mayo with avocado... YUMMY!! Of course they are brown the next day but who cares!!!
  • rosalee87
    rosalee87 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Okay, this just sounds delicious!
    I make pico de gallo/salsa with 1 small tomato, chopped red or green onion, 2 serrano peppers (hot), a good amount of cilantro, fresh lime juice, and 2-3 cloves of fresh garlic, 1/4 avocado, approx 1/4 cup low sodium v-8 juice. I spray with Pam , 2-4 corn tortillas and broil till crispy in my toaster oven. Mix it all in a bowl. serve with broken tortillas and celery sticks. The fresh garlic is crazy healthy for you, fighting viruses and bacteria and a lot more. The cilantro has been proven to cleanse the blood of heavy metals like mercury. All ingredients are super healthy. If I have a high amount of calories left to consume due to a lot of exercise, I up the avocado to 1/2. The fat in the avocado helps to absorb nutrients. I eat this almost every day or other day as a kind of health "tonic".
  • RTHowse
    RTHowse Posts: 2
    Options
    I had two small avocados with breakfast this morning. That in and of itself is a success. Avocados are delish!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    When I have tuna I use a half of an avocado in place of mayo, tastes quite yummy

same here!! my favorite with some ground pepper.yummmm!!!
  • FocusEnergy
    Options
    You and daisymae are both on the same page with replacing the mayo with avocado. That's an awesome idea...
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting into adding avocado's to my meals. Last night I made a spinach salad with mushrooms, carrots, black beans and tomatoes and used the guacamole as my dressing. My son's favorite sandwich is turkey and avocado. I'm more into guac so I add it on eggs, dip, salads etc. My mom and sister like eating it straight with a little salt and pepper
  • naiaranetto
    naiaranetto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I`ve read in an amazing fitness brazilian magazine that you will lose 4 pounds a week if you eat 3 teaspoons before sleep. I can say avocado flats my bellly if I follow this tip - and, of course, a healthy diet!
  • sw0301
    sw0301 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If I have any type of toast or sandwich, I spread avocado instead of butter/mayo/etc.
  • FocusEnergy
    Options
    I read online that a women just added 1/2 an avocado to her regular diet and she noticed she started steadily losing weight!
  • LoveandGuns
    Options
    I remember being told to stay away from avocados due to their high fat content, but honestly those people do not know the difference between different fats in our foods. Also, do need certain fats to keep our brain as healthy as possible. :tongue:

Here are some interesting facts on these little buggers:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/8-healthy-facts-about-avocados

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I`ve read in an amazing fitness brazilian magazine that you will lose 4 pounds a week if you eat 3 teaspoons before sleep. I can say avocado flats my bellly if I follow this tip - and, of course, a healthy diet!

Huh. I would have thought eating teaspoons is just a good way to win a first class trip to the emergency room.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I often make a dipping sauce for veggies and/or chicken and/or fish using half an avocado, a splash of lime juice, about a tbsp of minced garlic, some hot sauce and pepper. Very tasty!

UzOw4Y6.gif
  • tammykuehn7
    Options
    I make one hard boiled egg, one can of tuna and one small avocado. Mash up the egg like you were making egg salad. Mash up the avocado. Open tuna and drain. Then mix them all together. I don't use bread so I put the mixture in celery sticks.
  • FussyFruitbat
    FussyFruitbat Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I eat avocados in everything, as often as possible. I'm totally in love with them. I want to marry an avocado and have little half-person half-avocado babies.

Here's a nice recipe for avocado quiche (I usually go light on the sour cream):
    http://www.yankeemagazine.com/recipe/avocado-quiche
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Here is a great recipe from my kickboxing place. I love avocados in my salads.

http://www.ilovekickboxing.com/blog/fat-burning-recipe-avocado-egg-salad/