You DON'T need to workout for an hour............

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
To get leaner an burn fat. In fact, lots of lean people do workouts (including their "cardio") in less than 45 minutes.

Schuenke MD, Mikat RP, McBride JM.
Effect of an acute period of resistance exercise on excess post-exercise oxygen consumption: implications for body mass management.
Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002 Mar;86(5):411-7. Epub 2002 Jan 29.

In this study a 30-minute circuit style resistance training session was put to the test. The result was a 38 hour increase in metabolism.

Kramer, Volek et al.
Influence of exercise training on physiological and performance changes with weight loss in men.
Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 1320-1329, 1999.

This study showed that those who added short burst intense exercise to a reduced calorie diet burned up to 44% more fat than those who dieted alone.

Bryner RW, Ullrich IH, Sauers J, Donley D, Hornsby G, Kolar M, Yeater R.
Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate.
J Am Coll Nutr. 1999 Apr;18(2):115-21.

This study compared "slow-go" aerobic exercise to short burst intense resistance training and found that the resistance group lost significantly more fat without losing ANY lean muscle even at an extremely low calorie intake (not so for the aerobic group).

Body composition counts. HIIT it up!

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting these articles! :)
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    i love HIIT

but it HURTs

oh so good
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What about the recommendations that one do HIIT several times a week, not every day? There's a place for moderate exercise in my life, in between the days of strength training and HIIT.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    What about the recommendations that one do HIIT several times a week, not every day? There's a place for moderate exercise in my life, in between the days of strength training and HIIT.
    Fit in what works for you. Main point is that for people who think that LONG WORKOUTS are the way to lose weight and body fat that studies like this show it's not needed.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    To get leaner an burn fat. In fact, lots of lean people do workouts (including their "cardio") in less than 45 minutes.

Schuenke MD, Mikat RP, McBride JM.
    Effect of an acute period of resistance exercise on excess post-exercise oxygen consumption: implications for body mass management.
    Eur J Appl Physiol. 2002 Mar;86(5):411-7. Epub 2002 Jan 29.

In this study a 30-minute circuit style resistance training session was put to the test. The result was a 38 hour increase in metabolism.

Kramer, Volek et al.
    Influence of exercise training on physiological and performance changes with weight loss in men.
    Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 31, No. 9, pp. 1320-1329, 1999.

This study showed that those who added short burst intense exercise to a reduced calorie diet burned up to 44% more fat than those who dieted alone.

Bryner RW, Ullrich IH, Sauers J, Donley D, Hornsby G, Kolar M, Yeater R.
    Effects of resistance vs. aerobic training combined with an 800 calorie liquid diet on lean body mass and resting metabolic rate.
    J Am Coll Nutr. 1999 Apr;18(2):115-21.

This study compared "slow-go" aerobic exercise to short burst intense resistance training and found that the resistance group lost significantly more fat without losing ANY lean muscle even at an extremely low calorie intake (not so for the aerobic group).

Body composition counts. HIIT it up!

IDEA Fitness member

Looking at your first study, I found it ironic--given my earlier blog post--that, from an EPOC standpoint, the results do not support a "heavy lifting" protocol, but something more moderate.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Sure, you don't HAVE to work out for an hour, but if your goal is more than fat loss you're going to look pretty silly after mile 6 of your marathon :laugh:
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    But a two hour slow run is easier on my knees than 30min of sprinting intervals, and i am in better shape the next day, with less recovery needed before i can hit the weights! i love me some LISS
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    My workouts on lifting days ends up being about an hour....but it isn't really because it takes that long, a lot of that time is waiting on others......

I do about a 10 minute cardio warmup, about 40 mins of lifting (but in reality that's about 25-30 minutes, while usually having to wait 5-10 minutes on a station etc..), then 10 minutes of cardio at the end....so total gym time is about an hour...but when it's low population, I can usually get out in about 40-45 minutes.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Fit in what works for you. Main point is that for people who think that LONG WORKOUTS are the way to lose weight and body fat that studies like this show it's not needed.

IDEA Fitness member

But should anyone be doing HIIT every day? Everything that I've read about it suggests that you should do HIIT a few times a week, to augment your cardio training, not do HIIT day after day. Even if you aren't interested in endurance performance, and only care about fat burning, is it healthy to do HIIT everyday?